.22 rimfire stored in very cold conditions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retread

Bearcat
I've got a couple of cases of Fed Champion .22 long rifle that will spend the winter in sub, sub zero degrees - at least minus 20, possibly minus 40 degrees. Won't be shooting in that cold but wondering if the cartridges will make it through the winter unscathed. Does anyone have any experience in storing .22 in extremely cold weather like this.

(Will post in various areas on RF to look for someone that's done this)

Thanks

Retread

Bearcat
No, though Alaska may be an option if this little town doesn't work out. Lived in Southern California all my life so it hasn't made any sense that I like the Colorado Rockies as well as I do. Live in a place that's surrounded by mountains that collect the cold and send it down to the large bowl we live in. It's 10 - 15 degrees colder in winter here than it is 1200 higher around us. Cold just sits here and doesn't move. Minus 29 two years ago for a few days and that wasn't a cold winter. It's very dry, fortunately, and without much winter wind, so it's not that uncomfortable.

From what I'm hearing online, my ammo looks like its going to be ok when it gets thawed out next spring.

bb07

Bearcat
It'll be fine. I've stored ammo for years in those temps, no problems whatsoever.

Latest posts