1973 Non 3 screw .357 Blackhawks…. Collectible or just cool?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trailduster

Bearcat
Hi Folks,

Stopped by a local pawn shop and there's a well loved,but still in good shape New Model .357 Blackhawk resting quietly in the display case.

Called Ruger with the SN# and a most helpful and friendly lady said the SN# hails from 1973.

SN# 32-222XX

Right when 3 screws were done and NM's were cranking up.

Is there anything particularly unique,special etc., about these "3 screw tail end/NM start up revolvers?

Or are they just a cool byproduct of a time frame overlap of sorts situation?

Thanks A Bunch
Doug

hittman

Staff member
Plain Jane new model Blackhawk.
Now, if the s/n was 32-000xx it'd be a different story … maybe.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
There are some neat variations in the first year NMs but earlier than yours. The very first NM's generally used old model "leftovers" as follows:

1. Old model grips with the blue screw and escutcheons (yours may have these, I think the stainless HW came in 1974)
2. Old model cylinders with recessed chambers & firing pin grooves (but not on the .357)
3. Old model boxes with NM stickers on the end (but only Single Sixes, and Blackhawks in .45 & .30 cal, as I recall)

trapperon

Blackhawk
Your new model is also on a bigger frame than the old model 357. The cool part about that is it's just as robust as a 357 redhawk! Great one for heavy loads!
Its the same frame as a 44 super blackhawk but with the standard aluminum grip frame!
Ron

edm1

Single-Sixer
I don't own a transition year Ruger, but I do own a 1964 Winchester 94. Like someone mentioned Ruger did, Winchester used some pre 64 parts. Mine has the steel buttplate for instance. I think it's cool and enjoy shooting it. You should just shoot and enjoy it and be happy. It's a wood and steel gun with soul that likes to be exercised.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Even if it has no more than nominal NM shooter value... (assuming) No billboard and walnut grips that actually fit would make it more desirable to me.

No billboard….. that's one reason I like my New Vaquero:

BD9B6E5F-7046-4842-AD16-B916CB1F6D36.jpeg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Quite a few years ago I bought a few matched number NIB 2 digit New Models that I found online and I kept this picture of them because I thought it was a nifty pic. I just happened to stumble onto it. It shows the .30 and .45 Blackhawks as well as the Single Six in old model boxes (as mentioned above).

seven-times-86.jpg

Latest posts