Wrangler Hammer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Hello and Happy Sunday!
I am slowly customizing my Wrangler and I really do not like the hammer that it came with. I have seen a few pictures of Single Sixes and Wranglers with a hammer that looks smoother and wider on top. I believe member G2 has similar hammers on a Birds head Single Six. Can someone tell me where they can be found and/or what are they originally meant to fit?
They look like they have another piece on top, or a lip on each side.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

You may have seen a few with the Bisley hammers installed. Those are the only ones that come to mind that would fit a Single-Six. Ruger made them, and they are hard to find.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Thank you for that bit of information. I will look into that. However, I do think that is more work than I want to put into the little plinker.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I hate the Wrangler trigger and hammer too, I swap in regular issue single six parts when I have one apart, plentiful and not expensive. Yes, Bisley hammer for a single six hard to get. I got all mine from Ruger parts, but they wont sell me another one last I asked.

The Wrangler hammer surely is an eyesore. It seems like Ruger could spend the extra 25¢ on steel to fill in the hollowed out areas and make it look a little better.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
It is the sharp diamond pattern and the angle that I don't like. With the stiff factory springs, I thought it was uncomfortable to cock the hammer. After swapping the springs and doing some light polishing, I still have a problem with the checkering. I had no idea what that hammer was, but I like the looks of it. Now, I have scratched the Bisley hammer off my list. I will start looking at SS hammers. I have ordered all pins, screws, elector rod and other visible pieces in stainless steel for my black Wrangler.

contender

Ruger Guru
Since the "hollowed out" hammer is a MIM part,, MAYBE,, just maybe it has to do with how it's molded, or comes out of the mold?
Or, to assist in identifying a MIM hammer over a "normal hammer?
Lastly, to reduce weight, and still give reliable ignition?

Just throwing out potential reasons for the hollow portion.

Chief

Single-Sixer
So I must have missed this , do the internal parts of a Wrangler interchange with the other Ruger models?

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
There is obviously some difference in the loading gate and how it links to the rest of the parts. Can a Single Six spin the cylinder freely with the gate open? I suffer from CRS today.

Last edited:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No. But you can easily install a Wrangler free spin cyl pawl. Or get a free-spin cyl pawl from Powers Custom with simple fitting instructions.
And to either of those you can also add Ruger's RIPS cylinder indexing pawl in the hammer channel from the New Vaquero and New Flattop Blackhawk. Drill and tap one small hole in the hammer channel, and Ruger will send you the pawl, spring and set screw for free. The cylinder chambers will align perfectly with the loading gate trough. Can be added to the Wrangler as well.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Since the "hollowed out" hammer is a MIM part,, MAYBE,, just maybe it has to do with how it's molded, or comes out of the mold?
Or, to assist in identifying a MIM hammer over a "normal hammer?
Lastly, to reduce weight, and still give reliable ignition?

Just throwing out potential reasons for the hollow portion.
I can think of no operational advantage that gets me past the fugly. But maybe that's just me.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
If I decide to install a Stainless SS hammer, is there going to be a problem with the Wrangler internals?
Like, can I install the hammer and not have problems with the pawl or loading gate?

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I swapped a Bisley into a Blackhawk but a Bisley hammer for a Single Six is mush harder to find in my experience. Kinda like a Montado hammer although I have had two of those pass through my hands.

IMG-1899.jpg