Would you shoot a robber in a parking lot?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I hope I never have to shoot and take a life. Same time, I refuse to be a victim. Many good answers and thoughts here. Be Aware is number one. When I'm out in public, I ask anyone with me to describe what a person was wearing that we both saw earlier. And license plate numbers are hard to recall. One thing I need to do is get back to rural Northern Missouri. Too many idiots in the cities.

pyth0n

Buckeye
It's an armed robbery & the it's weapon is enough reason to believe I'm in danger of serious injury or death. If the dirt bag is holding a gun, how fast can I get to mine?
If all is in my favor, & I shoot, am I prepared for the aftermath, legally & mentally?
Yes I'd shoot.

dweis

Blackhawk
So the bad guy has a gun pointed at me and that in PA is sufficient to use lethal force in response. However, let's be realistic. He has a gun pointed at me. If I do not give him the wallet but instead draw my pistol, he has all the advantage. He can shoot me the second he sees the pistol coming to bear on him. Unless I am lucky or unbelievable fast I get shot. So I'd give him my wallet. Nothing I'm my wallet is worth getting shot.

Would I shoot him if he was moving away from me after he got my wallet? Not if I had to shoot him in the back because he would no longer be a deadly threat. If I called to him and he turned around with the gun still visible, I would shoot him.

Final thought — check your state laws to be certain you know when lethal force can be used.

caryc

Hawkeye
From what I read here, it kind of sounds like some people think that if an armed person in a parking lot points his gun at you and says give me your wallet...even though you are armed, you should just give him your wallet and watch him walk away. Doesn't make much sense does it.

Kind of sounds like..."you should wait and let him fire the first shot before you use your gun".

From what I read here, it kind of sounds like some people think that if an armed person in a parking lot points his gun at you and says give me your wallet...even though you are armed, you should just give him your wallet and watch him walk away. Doesn't make much sense does it.

Kind of sounds like..."you should wait and let him fire the first shot before you use your gun".
So you are saying that you can draw and accurately fire faster, before someone
pointing a gun at you, can pull the trigger? THAT doesn't make much sense.

In the situation you stated, you have to give him the wallet. He already has a gun on you. Hope he walks away. If it escalates to physical violence you have to choose the timing and draw hoping you have trained enough to save yourself. Then hope you are able to call your lawyer right after 911.

DGW1949

Hunter
To me, these types of questions always revert back to "what does the Law say". Here in Texas, deadly force is allowed to be used in order to "prevent the consequences of theft at nightime". I don't know what someone else's State may say about the matter but I do know this...The Law is going to overrule what your instructor says, or what the guys sittin' around the barber shop say....you can take it from there.

Situational awareness is a good thing. I try not to put myself in a position that is harmful to my life. That being said, I carry a S&W Bodyguard in a coat pocket with my hand on it in places where I feel unsafe. That way I am able to handle a problem if it arises. Hopefully it never happens. I was taught that trick by an old streetwise cop. He told me that he would stop someone and talk to them with one hand casually in his pocket with the revolver and his other hand holding a Maglite on his shoulder. That way he could use the Maglite to clobber the one that he had stopped or if in a really bad situation he could fire through his pocket if needed. He told me that he had to use the Maglite a few times for an attitude adjustment but never had to use his hidden revolver.

A legal term, "totality of the circumstances". Anyone who cares can look it up. Many touched on this point. "You can't create a shoot/don't shoot in a few sentences and come with any hard and fast rules of legal or not legal: Justified or not justified.
The situation as described made me think right away even before finished reading it and without knowing that states laws. Were there any friendlies down range of you if you fired. What was the distance of the suspect when you see the gun and he is announcing his robbery. What's your mindset? that is really important go back to totality of the circumstances.
You were asking me, and my answer starts with just like yours would "Do I fight, flee or give up". First is I will fight! it may be with hands or other tools. If I can't fight, I will flee. If the crook takes my wallet from me it is because I am unable to do #1 or #2.

harley08

Blackhawk
Some thugs use the gently hit your car form behind approach. When you stop they come to your car quick and rob you.
This was happening a while back to a friend of mine, when they hit his car, he took his .45 out and cocked it so they could see it thru the rear window. The thugs took off!

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I carry a fake wallet and I'd shoot him. most folk are under the assumption they will not harm you if you give them what they want.

Actual execution videos show the truth.

If there are others around you are Biblically obligated to shoot them because the Word of God says "Love Protects".

Jeepnik, let's use some courtroom jargon.
In this event you fired: Was your mindset that you or your wife's lives were in jeopardy of death or serious harm at the moment you pulled the trigger. Would a reasonable person also believe that? Did the totality of the circumstances (the whole story/picture backup your thoughts)? To back up your thoughts can you prove the crook had the means, opportunity and intent to cause you harm. If any of those is less than a solid yes, you could be in trouble. Thats just some basic points that can cover most cases.

wolfsong

Staff member
I believe that unarmed self defense training is just as valuable and important as armed self defense skills. If one is adequately trained in unarmed self defense tactics it is much more possible to protect yourself in the scenario that Jimbo has presented. In fact, knowing USD moves can eliminate the need to use deadly force.

Keep in mind that discretion is the better part of valor.

So you are saying that you can draw and accurately fire faster, before someone
pointing a gun at you, can pull the trigger? THAT doesn't make much sense.
there are people who actually can do this... I submit I know at least one of our members here that probably can...
Look up legendary lawman Jelly Bryce... he did it more than once.

If the question is would I shoot because I thought it was a justified lawful shoot? Yes at least in Texas where I use to live and in Florida where I'm now. I think in most or at least many states except the usual suspect deep Blue states it would be justified. But the DA may send it to the grand jury, you will need a lawyer, etc. If the question is would I draw on a guy pointing a gun on me the answer would be fact driven by that particular circumstance. First how good an I. How well have I trained to get off the X, draw from concealment and make a couple of well placed shots and from what distance? How close is the bad guy? What is his demeanor? Does he look wacked out on drugs? Are we talking about only one bad guy? What is behind the bad gun-a mother with three children or an empty lot? If he's 10 yards away with his pants hanging down to his knees and pointing the gun sideways and I think I'm not likely to hit others that I don't intend to shoot, I would probably shoot. If he is close I will assume if I draw my gun it is at least a 50/50 chance I will be shot but a good chance it won't be fatal (70% survival rate from a handgun I think). I got to be mentally prepared to not go down, curl up in a ball and cry for my mother. I've got to "fight" with my gun as long as I can if possible (I've been to the Clint Smith School of Survival fortunately). It may not be possible. If I think there is 50/50 chance he will take the wallet and run and he's close, I'll give him the wallet and take my chances. The potential for legal hassle after even a good shoot isn't worth my wallet. My decision would be based on what is the best chance of staying alive and avoid being shot. If my assessment is he's going to shoot anyway hopefully I get off the X, draw, shoot multiple shots and hope my training pays off. This whole thought process will happen in a second or two. BTW according to Tom Givens 40% of all robberies occur when getting into and out of your vehicle. And you will probably shoot only about 70% of how well you shoot on the range having a "bad" day.