why stainless not blue?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

maxpress

Buckeye
Driftwood Johnson":32soi8ar said:
blued steel is how ever stronger so it is the only way i go for my 45lc

Where did you hear that? I doubt very much if blued steel is significantly stronger than the Stainless that Ruger uses.

alot of time the higher cromium/vandium in stainless makes it stronger. depends on if your talking harder or stronger as far as flex.

anyhow i like stainless because when i run out i like to stuff one down my pants (clip draw on small revolvers). when its hot like this and i am sweating the quick walk to the store can cause rust on a blued gun.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I have learned that all my next guns, if the opportunity exists, will be made from carbon steel.

I'll (again) have a zero-rust 'hard' finish applied (Robar's NP3; electroless nickel --by itself already very 'hard'-- impregnated with Teflon).

Stainless steel guns get hotter for me when I've shot many rds very rapidly through them....know what I mean?

No? Try it..... :shock:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ginger, Mary, and Ann!

Stainless, blued carbon steel, iron (M94 and others), alloy pot metal (10/22), even titanium alloy! (M85 snubbie), all reside in my possession. They all get along just fine with each other!

Here in MI, where the hygrometer currently reads 74% RH, stainless gives an edge against incidental corrosion.

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
OK chew on this SS will start leading at 100 fps slower than carbon steel sorry boys but that has been proving altho it is not a problem if you will alternate jacketed with lead. usually i will fire about 50 rds lead then a cyl of jacketed. Mike. Who's maryann i've had a linda and several terry's.

Stoots

Buckeye
raw6464":1vj3gn18 said:
Blued guns, rust and wear. SS doesn't...

Sure they do:

swmodel66_04w.jpg

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ss/s_w ... lver_4.htm

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy again

I just get a kick out of these guys who think if you look at a blued gun crosseyed it is going to rust. I have blued revolvers going back almost 100 years. I bought all of them used. I have no idea what kind of care they received before I bought them. Most had a little bit of holster wear rubbing the blue back to bare metal at the high spots like the muzzle and high points of the cylinder. Some had a little bit of rust, most did not.

After owning these blued and slightly worn guns for a number of years, none of them has developed any more rust than they had when I bought them. And believe me, I am not particularly fussy about the way I take care of my guns. Most go back in the safe without being wiped down with a silicone cloth. Some actually live in their holsters. Yes, I know we are not supposed to do that. My S&W Model 19 sat in its holster for close to 20 years during the time I was not shooting. Big no, no, I know, but it did, and it still does not have a spec of rust on it.

And it gets plenty hot and humid in the summer where I live, I don't live in a dry desert someplace. Perhaps if you live in a jungle somewhere where it rains everyday and the humidity is always up around 100%, stainless makes sense. But really folks, blued guns are far tougher than many shooters think.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I like blued myself but I take the same care of either my guns are cleaned up before I am. The only gun's I have that have rust on them I bought that way and cleaned them up as soon as I returned home with them. I had a benelli super black eagle that I bird hunted with for 3 years it was rained on and got mud on it some it was cold and hot and sweated on and after 3 years of use and about 40 cases of shotgun shells I sold it You could have set in a rack with brand new benellis and would have had a hard time picking it out from a brand new one. But I have a single bbl 20 ga I bought for $15.00 years ago and I take the same care of it I did the benelli that I paid $1200.00 for. I love a gun and enjoy using them and caring for them.

sumoj275

Bearcat
I like stainless because it can be refinished easier if work is done. On most blued Rugers there is the aluminum that I don't like so ss models or the few all steel models. In a Smith or Colt, blue all the way.

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
I have mostly Ruger single actions and I prefer stainless over blued, though I have several of each..
I have never liked the top heavy feel of the blued ruger single actions with the aluminum gripframe.

I like the look of brushed or high polished stainless better than the brushed finish blued guns, but not as well as the older blued guns with a well done high polish and blue.

Jack

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
Tommy way to go dude this is what I was after when I started this thread I don't do as well as you but i too like both weopons SS and blue holster wear is the numero uno ravidger of blued guns however i do like it when i find a shooter I want and buy it cheaper by $110. because of wear also you can tell if a gun has been mis used or abused in blue . I also will not buy a SS that looks like crap because it takes alot more abuse to make them look that way.and although they may clean up easier than blue I allways wonder what damage was done to the guts.Mike

Onty

Single-Sixer
Erich":1c66xqx4 said:
I prefer the looks of the blued revolvers, but I do find that stainless wears a lot better and is easier to bring back to looking right after wear. Plus, if you have the gun worked on (caliber changed, barrel shortened), it's easier to refinish.

I do like a bead-blasted look, though, on stainless - less glare and less albedo to attract unwanted attention. Easy to touch-up as well.

I agree 100%, this is from somebody who actually shoots a lot and like to have more time on the range than fixing them. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE beautifully blued guns, just take a look on this OM SBH; it's perfect.
SB02.jpg
SB03.jpg

However, if you shoot it extensively, those handling marks from rubbing in holster and pads will sooner or later show up. So, if you want a nice looking revolver that will go just occasionally on the range, I would say blued one is the way to go. If you want a shooter I would stick with brushed stainless. I had seen few refinished by a good smiths by bead blasting and they are just gorgeous.

flatgate

Hawkeye
oldyeller":qwt7iq9f said:
blued steel is how ever stronger so it is the only way i go for my 45lc

I'll counter your statement with the fact that Freedom Arms, on their "warmed over .45 Colt revolvers", exclusively use a stainless steel alloy that supplies the strength to contain pressures as high as 60,000 C.U.P.

Now, for me, I like stainless and I like blued. :D

flatgate

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I'm kind of odd I geuss. For some reason I prefer most revolvers stainless , semiauto I prefer blued. This is for most cases there is always an exception.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Kyhunt":345ole6k said:
I'm kind of odd I geuss. For some reason I prefer most revolvers stainless , semiauto I prefer blued. This is for most cases there is always an exception.

I'm just the opposite...I like my revolvers blued and my pistols stainless. That said, I carry a stainless SP101 more than anything else, and when I'm not carrying that I've got my blued P95R. Maybe I'm just confused :p

Knuckles

Buckeye
I am practical about this "blued/stainless" debate

I see things in black and white... black for hunting/concealment and white for out in the open use... but I often break the rules of logic.

A little oil goes a long way for both finishes :wink:

TreeDoc

Bearcat
Have not seen really good blue job on a revolver in awhile, seems if they wear quickly. Stainless seems to take more abuse. That being said, I'll never own a long or shot gun in stainless, talk about ugly. :)