Why a Ruger 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh":2oo0r1hz said:
All you can come up with to criticize the Colt Gold Cup is the roll pin that holds the sight in (which I agree with) ... not bad if that's all you can pick on. The Gold Cup is a TARGET 1911, it is not a serious combat gun. Colt has other models for that.

REV
You're the one who brought up Gold Cup. I always thought they were nice looking guns but I've never seen one I thought was fitted as well as it should be for the price.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Rev I shot a Kimber Custom II the same day I also shot a Springfield 1911 and the springer was the one that had the problems. It had to run way wet and was already loser than the Kimber was.

It wasn't hard to make either work. It just took some know how.

As for things breaking. Well that is why I keep the P89. I defy anyone to break it. And if you do I will shoot you with my P95. :D

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
You have to realize that CGC's can be bought for right around $900 brand new. Most Kimbers are well above that.

Gold Cups are fine guns, and to deny that just shows obstinance. Are there better fitted/shooting guns ?? Of course there are. For the money, what gun would you buy that would be better than a CGC for $900 ?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/36031

REV

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
Snake45":3bshydob said:
AZ Outlaws":3bshydob said:
Call me a clutz or whatever, but my 1911 is by far not the simplest pistol to take down. My SR9 and Sig P226 are way easier and faster as is my little LCP.
Really? You've taken the SR9 and the 226 and the LCP down to the bare frame and put them back together? And they're easier than a 1911? :shock:

LOL... so no one likes my SA PX9151LP Loaded because the front end is serrated, the grips are checkered and the trigger has holes in it??
Didn't say no one likes all that stuff...somebody's buying all the guns that have it. Just said it's hard to find a gun anymore that doesn't have all the candy.
Oppps... posted before i thought, sorry. I was thinking about just stripping it for cleaning, not tearing it down to the frame.

It was a tongue and check comment about no one not liking it. Boy... you guys are really playing hardball here tonight. :shock: :D

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh":1y6f63fg said:
Wait till the MIM slide stop cracks and you snick that MIM safety off and it falls off in your hand. They're well known to do that ...

REV
Yeah, I keep hearing that, but nobody ever seems to have a pic of one broken, or had it actually happen to them. It always happened to "a friend of my buddy's cousin" or it's "well known" in some way.

I HAVE had a genuine Colt forged thumb safety crack, though. But then again I'm the guy who broke a firing pin on a Colt Python. :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh":2tibt25j said:
You have to realize that CGC's can be bought for right around $900 brand new. Most Kimbers are well above that.

REV
My kid paid $500 for the Kimber.

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":14gen13r said:
Rev I shot a Kimber Custom II the same day I also shot a Springfield 1911 and the springer was the one that had the problems. It had to run way wet and was already loser than the Kimber was.

tk,

There's about 20 different levels of Springfields, and a hundred different variables that could cause one gun to run and another not to. You specify the Kimber Custom II, but just mention 'Springfield 1911'. Well .... WHICH ONE ??? You surely can't compare a semi-custom gun with a $500 GI model or MilSpec, right ?? What ammo were you shooting ?? What recoill spring was installed ? All guns run better 'wet' as you say, but that doesn't mean that they HAVE to be wet.

It's so easy for people to put down Colt and Springfield because, simply put, they are the best, and everybody attacks the guy at the top. Mention Sig or Glock here and the first thing you hear is 'My buddy had a Glock that wouldn't run', or 'My P91 is more accurate than ANY Sig I've ever shot'. Simply put, those statements are hogwash, and the market proves that.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Brother in law paid 800 for his Kimber.

It was a MIL spec Springer. It will shoot as good as the Kimber some day if the kid keeps working on it.

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snake45":1ml9n8a0 said:
revhigh":1ml9n8a0 said:

REV

OK Snake ... I surrender ... Kimbers are better than any other 1911. I admit it ... you've convinced me ! :D

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
It isn't 1911 no more and JMB isn't here to troubleshoot.

LOL

We all perceive what is better by how it works when we shoot it. And how long it works.
And yes even how accurate it shoots for us.

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snake45":zyd31ixd said:
revhigh":zyd31ixd said:

REV

Not new he didn't ...

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":17qivjae said:
Brother in law paid 800 for his Kimber.

It was a MIL spec Springer. It will shoot as good as the Kimber some day if the kid keeps working on it.

tk

The MilSpec is second from the bottom of the line in the SA lineup. It really is just a GI model (like below) with a flared ejection port, better sights, slanted slide serrations, and lightly beveled magwell, as well as the laser cut crossed cannon grips. It's an incredible value, but still a base 1911. I'm not surprised that a mid-range Kimber could outshoot it.

My SA GI below shoots almost as well as my Gold Cups with a few hundred dollars invested, Biggest gains from trigger work and sights, which aren't in the pic below. It doesn't take much to accurize a 1911, which is why I mentioned wanting a base Ruger 1911 that was lightly accurized. It's do-able for $500 street.

The orange part in the pic below used to be a 3/4 inch stick on dot, which is what I use for target shooting. Not bad for a $400 used gun with a few hundred in upgrades.

IMG_0005-2.jpg

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I would also bet there are Colts out there that outshoot the one I disliked. I would like one of those as well once it proved itself to me as every gun must do.

When I go 1911 it will be Kimber Custom II for me. If I get one that doesn't work as good as the one my brother in law has I will go visit and make a trade. :D His isn't even his favorite pistol he is a revolver type guy.

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":1ec2o27x said:
His isn't even his favorite pistol he is a revolver type guy.

tk

That is simply sacrilege !!! :D

Night, night, gentlemen !

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
It is late back there in the colonies. You better get your beauty rest so you can get back to hating the p series with a fervor. :D

Have a good night Rev.

tk

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh":33yiq35m said:
Snake45":33yiq35m said:
revhigh":33yiq35m said:

REV

OK Snake ... I surrender ... Kimbers are better than any other 1911. I admit it ... you've convinced me ! :D

REV
Oh, knock it off. I never said Kimbers are the best 1911s, nor that Colts are crap. All I said was that my kid brought home a Kimber and I was impressed with its fit and function. For all I know it's the only good gun they ever made, but that one is quite nice.

I got nothing against Colts. Hell, I have Colts.

19111924.jpg