Why a Ruger 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam":uxzoyqef said:
RonS":uxzoyqef said:
People who buy 1911s tend to like 1911s, not so much as guns that kind of resemble them.
Except for all those Kimber, Para Ordnance, and Springfield owners... (big) :D

-- Sam
It's getting harder and harder to find a "1911" that isn't packed with all kinds of candy and tacky gingerbread. Forward grippy-gooves, duck-butt "speed bump" grip safeties, barely-there hammers, lint-trap triggers, knick-knack shelves, "scalloped" ejection ports, FLGRs, "tactical" mag catches and slide stops, Novak sights, and on and on...

Snake45

Hawkeye
tkarter":bt8e682l said:
I like the Kimbers just fine. Wish I could afford one. Sure as hell don't want to get shot by one. :D

tk
A Kimber followed my kid home last year. Every time I handle it, I'm impressed by its fit and overall quality.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Snake45":1a8s2969 said:
It's getting harder and harder to find a "1911" that isn't packed with all kinds of candy and tacky gingerbread. Forward grippy-gooves, duck-butt "speed bump" grip safeties, barely-there hammers, lint-trap triggers, knick-knack shelves, "scalloped" ejection ports, FLGRs, "tactical" mag catches and slide stops, Novak sights, and on and on...

Novak sights, modified ejection port and a nice hammer and sear combo is not at all a bad addition to a 1911, just MHO

Snake45

Hawkeye
If your extractor and ejector are set up correctly, the standard GI or old commercial Colt ejection port works just fine. The "scallop" serves no purpose whatever, it's just for looks--like the three or four holes in the front fenders of old Buicks. :wink:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I disagree Snake, the opening up of the ejection port and the added throated chamber are helpful in the reliability of lighter loads or non-ball ammo in 1911's.

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
Hey guys, Happy New Year!! I don't get on here that much anymore. I just wanted to pop in and say hi. You have a very good thread going here with good points being made all around!! I couldn't resist the urge to chime in for a second.

LOL... so no one likes my SA PX9151LP Loaded because the front end is serrated, the grips are checkered and the trigger has holes in it?? Oh well, I do... and like my SR9, it fits in my hand perfectly. :wink:

Call me a clutz or whatever, but my 1911 is by far not the simplest pistol to take down. My SR9 and Sig P226 are way easier and faster as is my little LCP. The 1911 is however easier than my Mark III....

074c.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":2p7vs3vh said:
I disagree Snake, the opening up of the ejection port and the added throated chamber are helpful in the reliability of lighter loads or non-ball ammo in 1911's.
Throated chamber is good on any 1911, but that has nothing to do with the ejection port.

I've shot thousands of rounds of light and non-ball ammo through standard ejection ports, no problem. As I said, it's all in having the extractor and ejector tuned correctly, which seems to be almost a forgotten art.

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
tkarter":2iacovc4 said:
You have a scratch on that one better toss it away. :D my way if you will.

tk
Geez!! I knew I should of touched it up in photoshop. I scratched it the first time I put it back together.... :oops:

Snake45

Hawkeye
AZ Outlaws":7xmkx854 said:
Call me a clutz or whatever, but my 1911 is by far not the simplest pistol to take down. My SR9 and Sig P226 are way easier and faster as is my little LCP.
Really? You've taken the SR9 and the 226 and the LCP down to the bare frame and put them back together? And they're easier than a 1911? :shock:

LOL... so no one likes my SA PX9151LP Loaded because the front end is serrated, the grips are checkered and the trigger has holes in it??
Didn't say no one likes all that stuff...somebody's buying all the guns that have it. Just said it's hard to find a gun anymore that doesn't have all the candy.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Snake45":9e4j5hlj said:
Cheesewhiz":9e4j5hlj said:
Throated chamber is good on any 1911, but that has nothing to do with the ejection port.

I've shot thousands of rounds of light and non-ball ammo through standard ejection ports, no problem. As I said, it's all in having the extractor and ejector tuned correctly, which seems to be almost a forgotten art.

My reference was they both came into use about the same time, ever seen a Gold Cup ? Even the older models had both features.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snake45":1yjmi41z said:
Every time I handle it (the Kimber), I'm impressed by its fit and overall quality.

You're easily impressed Snake .... shoot it and then tell us how impressed you are .... :D

Try handling a Colt.

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":209ll73u said:
My reference was they both came into use about the same time, ever seen a Gold Cup ? Even the older models had both features.
Gold Cup also came with a cheap roll pin in the rear sight that would break, and a silly "sear depressor" thingie that I would NOT want in any serious 1911 I owned. :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
All you can come up with to criticize the Colt Gold Cup is the roll pin that holds the sight in (which I agree with) ... not bad if that's all you can pick on. The Gold Cup is a TARGET 1911, it is not a serious combat gun. Colt has other models for that.

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh":31ftrwh7 said:
Snake45":31ftrwh7 said:
Every time I handle it (the Kimber), I'm impressed by its fit and overall quality.

You're easily impressed Snake .... shoot it and then tell us how impressed you are .... :D

Try handling a Colt.

REV
It shoots very well indeed.

It's fitted much better than MANY Colts I've handled (and owned). Not all, of course, but many. The trigger is magnificent on it, the safety snicks on and off perfectly, and the barrel locks up tight in battery. There's really not much to find fault with on it. And believe me, I tried. :wink:

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I can shoot my brother in laws Kimber and impress the crap out of the world. I have a buddy with a colt. I can hit the barn with it better than him.

must be the gravitational pull of the earth that causes some guns not to work to colony standards. :D

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
Wait till the MIM slide stop cracks and you snick that MIM safety off and it falls off in your hand. They're well known to do that ...

In fairness, SA uses MIM parts too, most gun mfgrs do, but there IS a difference in the quality of various MIM parts. And Kimbers have been known to have their MIM parts break.

REV