Why a Ruger 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
With all the talk about this new model and the countdown clock on a bunch of different forums, a lot of people are clamoring for a Ruger branded 1911. Why? There's a TON of manufacturers making the 1911 design in an almost endless number of variations. What can be done differently that hasn't already been done? Everyone cried foul when the LCP came out saying it was just a copy of the KelTec. How would a 1911 be any different?
Not saying they shouldn't as it's a popular market albeit a saturated one but with all that's available...
I wonder if all those clamoring for one will actually buy one just like all those that HAD to have a Ruger branded AR decided it was too pricey. :roll: The "I REAALY MUST have one but only if it's cheap" crowd. Guess it's only a "must have" if it's under everyone else price. :roll:

revhigh

Hawkeye
1911 owners are a lot more than a market. They are virtually a cult. It's a rare 1911 owner who doesn't have more than one, and most that I know have WAY more than one. It's a timeless design that's worked for years, and is probably the most accurate auto handgun of all time, shooting the most accurate and most effective auto caliber of all time. There is no such thing as 'saturation', as you call it, in the 1911 market.

There is a huge market for entry level 1911's. If you don't believe that, look at the RIA line or the Taurus PT1911. If, and that is a BIG if, Ruger puts out an above average in accuracy BASE LEVEL 1911, it WILL sell like hotcakes. People can take a base 1911, and customize it with all kinds of doo-dads that makes it their own, just like a 10-22. It has to be priced around $500 street, NO HIGHER. If they come out with some overpriced 1911 that has typical Ruger auto accuracy, it will be DOA. It is not that hard to produce an accurate 1911. If RIA can produce a very decent base 1911 for $400, then another $100 retail can accurize it. Ruger already has the ability to do the castings from what people here say.

I never asked for a Ruger AR, and couldn't care less about it, but from what I see it is stupidly priced. Good AR's can be bought for $799 from companies like S&W with their M&P 15. Why spend double that for a Ruger AR ? Bad concept, bad execution, and bad marketing, IMO.

Oh, I forgot, any new 1911 would need to be RECALL free as well. If you blow a release of a 1911, nobody will EVER buy it. People who buy 1911's ALREADY know guns, and they know 1911's. Most have gotten to the 1911 after years of gun buying. They're not like a typical first time gun buyer that's buying an SR9, and may not ever buy another gun. How many people buy a 1911 for their first gun ??? Not many. So if you're putting another 1911 on the market, you better not screw it up, because you won't be forgiven.

By the way, comparing the the 1911 platform in any way to a KelTek is not doable.

REV

Grendel

Single-Sixer
While I would love a Ruger 1911 and look to purchase one should they release such an animal, I have two concerns, both involving Ruger's tendency to kowtow to lawyers:

1) Inclusion of a firing pin drop safety. While having the extra parts for that in a 1911 don't always mean trigger feel will suffer, it still means more parts and more complexity, which means more things to go wrong...and result in another bloody recall. And they'll have to do it if they want to sell the guns in Ah-nold's state.

2) Warnings all over the gun. The fewer roll marks on a 1911, the better. Ruger tends to dress their guns with more warnings than Nascar cars have sponsor ads.

I agree that the SR556 is expensive, but it does have a lot of parts on it that would drive the price up quite a bit if purchased a la carte. Why they included a standard collapsible butt stock is beyond me. Nice BUIS. Nice fore end. Nice grip. Nice piston system. Off the shelf butt stock. Weird.

I disagree that 1911 owners "know guns". I've seen plenty of 1911 owners who were little better than lay men when it came to firearms in general. That's a fairly inaccurate generalization.

I do agree that should Ruger release a 1911, if they mess it up, it won't last a year in their catalog.

-JT

BlkHawk73

Hunter
revhigh":1sf98pw3 said:
probably the most accurate auto handgun of all time... There is no such thing as 'saturation', as you call it, in the 1911 market.

By the way, comparing the the 1911 platform in any way to a KelTek is not doable.

My, my, someone seems quite adamant about a 1911 from Ruger don't they. ANY even somewhat questionable mention of a Ruger 1911, the "why" and "what for" asking on one and BAM, in jumps Revhigh. :roll: :wink: Someone's a cult member. :lol:

Well, I DO believe there is such thing as saturating a market, any market. being such an obvious fan of the 1911 seemingly a "cult" member, blinds a person. they'll see only and exactly as they wish - not the other two sides. ;) I also wouldn't call it the " most accurate auto handgun of all time" either. I'd put a P210 WAY up the ladder. No need to debate this aspect either having a blind eye. :roll:

Also, I wasn't comparing the 1911 platform to the KelTec but rather showing how when the LCP came out everyone was saying how Ruger copied the KelTec and complaining how they should have their own design/look. making a 1911 would be copying an existing design and look also. Wonder if all those complaining then will see the same a Ruger 1911 from the same vantage point...:roll:

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Ruger would not have to improve upon the 1911 design. What's to improve? To my way of thinking a Ruger 1911 could be one of the few 1911's actually made 100% in AMERICA! That alone should be enough incentive to start cranking them off the assembly line. And I agree with Revhigh, Ruger's 1911 ought to be a entry level version capable of decent accuracy, and hopefully for a decent price. And decent prices has always been one of Ruger's best selling points. Other wise alot of you tight wads in here would be chattering in other forums about Sig's and other high end guns..... myself included :lol:

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Make it $500 and Ruger reliable---they'll sell tons.

Was picking up a P95 yesterday---while I was filling out the paperwork--there's youngish guy looking over the 1911's(clueless)---didn't want the laser gripped one cause its too complicated----I'm thinkin all 1911's are complicated and all take down the same.

If Ruger could do away with standard 1911 take down and make it simple---just think how many they would sell.

Snake45

Hawkeye
rugerfreak":20qo0hti said:
If Ruger could do away with standard 1911 take down and make it simple---just think how many they would sell.
Dude--the 1911 has one of the simplest takedowns in the history of firearms! You can strip it to the bare frame with no tools at all, and put it back together with nothing more than a pencil or ballpoint pen or toothpick! How much simpler do you want it? :?

Joker

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":19y2opzg said:
With all the talk about this new model and the countdown clock on a bunch of different forums, a lot of people are clamoring for a Ruger branded 1911. Why? There's a TON of manufacturers making the 1911 design in an almost endless number of variations. What can be done differently that hasn't already been done? Everyone cried foul when the LCP came out saying it was just a copy of the KelTec. How would a 1911 be any different?
Not saying they shouldn't as it's a popular market albeit a saturated one but with all that's available...
I wonder if all those clamoring for one will actually buy one just like all those that HAD to have a Ruger branded AR decided it was too pricey. :roll: The "I REAALY MUST have one but only if it's cheap" crowd. Guess it's only a "must have" if it's under everyone else price. :roll:

+1 on that. I myself would much rather see Ruger come out with a new design of their own. Instead of making a copy thats been copied over and over again for what, 99 years now. But thats just MHO.

Spikess

Bearcat
I like the 1911 platform and it'll be interesting to see if Ruger produces one. If it's priced right, at least it'll give the gun writers something to keep themselves busy with besides the $3,000.00 pistols they all love to review every couple of months. I agree that it will have to be recall-free, (and if anyone at Ruger is reading this), please, Please, PLEASE don't put those god-awful ugly serrations on the front of the slide.

revhigh

Hawkeye
rugerfreak":g3qy8uf3 said:

Uh, let's see .... exactly ... NONE.

If Ruger does a 1911, it better be true to the 1911 design, otherwise, the only market you'll have is the Ruger fanatic market. If it's all boogered up with lawyer garbage, and billboards, and non-standard 1911 stuff ... you'll lose the entire 1911 market and limit yourself to Rugerites only.

Regarding takedown, if you can't take down a standard 1911, you shouldn't be handling firearms.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
BlkHawk73":2n6dxlsw said:
Wonder if all those complaining then will see the same a Ruger 1911 from the same vantage point...:roll:

No ... they won't ... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Grendel":6kqczr8o said:
I disagree that 1911 owners "know guns". I've seen plenty of 1911 owners who were little better than lay men when it came to firearms in general. That's a fairly inaccurate generalization.
-JT

I'd say there's more 1911 owners because they read in a gun rag or on the net that 'it's what the pros use" than any other reason. I own a several 1911's myself, but I own a lot of other designs as well. Just because someone has a high dollar 1911 tucked in a $150 IWB holster under their Banana Republic vest doesn't mean they know anything about firearms. It just means they had the money to buy it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joker":1duomqa3 said:
I myself would much rather see Ruger come out with a new design of their own.

Yeah ... they've proven to be really good at that ....

REV

BlkHawk73

Hunter
revhigh":3k92ywts said:
BlkHawk73":3k92ywts said:
Wonder if all those complaining then will see the same a Ruger 1911 from the same vantage point...:roll:

No ... they won't ... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I KNEW hypocrisy was alive and well. Copying design A is a no-no but copy design B and it's a gift from the gods. :roll:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Spikess":1cs5a3jz said:
Please, Please, PLEASE don't put those god-awful ugly serrations on the front of the slide.

I absolutely, totally agree with that !! They are hideous. So is all the worthless checkering all over the place, and stupid ambidextrous safeties, and beaver grips, and all the other non-functional horse dung that people insist on junking up their guns with.

Solid accuracy + a few funtional upgrades like lowered and flared ejection port, bevelled magwell, long trigger, and flat mainspring housing + $500 price point = success.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
diyj98":2ur64euj said:
Grendel":2ur64euj said:
-JT

I'd say there's more 1911 owners because they read in a gun rag or on the net that 'it's what the pros use" than any other reason. I own a several 1911's myself, but I own a lot of other designs as well. Just because someone has a high dollar 1911 tucked in a $150 IWB holster under their Banana Republic vest doesn't mean they know anything about firearms. It just means they had the money to buy it.

A full size 1911 is one of the easiest most reliable guns to carry there is. IWB.
They are also extremely accurate.

I will wait to see what Ruger offers in 1911 before purchasing one.
Although I really have my eye on a Kimber custom II.

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
diyj98":12vdy0p2 said:
Just because someone has a high dollar 1911 tucked in a $150 IWB holster under their Banana Republic vest doesn't mean they know anything about firearms. It just means they had the money to buy it.

Well ..... that's sure painting the 1911 market with a very broad brush, isn't it ?? I know a ton of 1911 fans, and I don't know ONE like that. Nor do I know anyone who's first 1911 was one like you describe. Most people move gradually UP in the 1911 market because they've owned one or two, have learned to appreciate the platform, have increased their shooting proficiency with the platform, and because of that, had the desire for a higher end example.

REV

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Before someone thinks I'm anti-1911 altogether, i should state I'm not. Although I do not currently own a 1911, I have shot them and admired them. They just never struck me as they do others. Will I buy the Ruger branded one? Maybe, maybe not. DEpends on what they do with it. I won't buy it just because it's a Ruger and certainly not because it's a 1911 and I'm wanting to be in the cult. I'm not gonna cry if it's not under $500 nor will I cry if it's not tactical :roll: I do know I won't buy it if it has a silly clothesline rail.

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":2pha0pz9 said:
Although I really have my eye on a Kimber custom II.

tk

Yuk ...... a Monster Cable 1911 ??? C'mon tk !!! :D

REV

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Forgot to add...there was ONE time I thought about buying a 1911...the choice I would've gone with...Les Baer Monolith.