Who has the lowest sr1911 Serial number?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ithaca4me

Bearcat
I just bought serial #619 and 620 today they had lower numbers just not consecutive.
P1020458.jpg

Oddly the 619 was test fired 8-23 and the 620 8-18

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Does anyone know why Ruger would release higher serial numbers earlier than the lower numbers? This actually pisses me off a little bit.
I got mine in early May and it has a serial number in the 03900 range.
Now was mine made before ithaca4me's S/N 0620 or not. It doesn't make much difference now, but it might 100 years from now when some collector wants to put a value on it. Am I mistaken about earlier serial numbers being worth more?

ithaca4me

Bearcat
if it makes any difference 620 has a green inspection sticker 619 has a yellow with a black stripe through it.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Wall-
Ruger doesn't produce firearms in SN sequence, but in blocks. Your gun is still earlier. Ruger collectors know this and go by the shipped date or by the test fire date.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
The Wall said:
Does anyone know why Ruger would release higher serial numbers earlier than the lower numbers? This actually pisses me off a little bit.
Now was mine made before ithaca4me's S/N 0620 or not. It doesn't make much difference now, but it might 100 years from now when some collector wants to put a value on it. Am I mistaken about earlier serial numbers being worth more?

For the largest part, with some exceptions, The lower serial number group has always been built later. Historically, this was the case because of the Subscription Holder SN Pgm(SN 1-200, plus a small number of other specific SN's.) As the SR1911 Pgm was in development for such a lengthy period, it would appear that a later block of SN were used initially, due to real or potential modifications which were necessary during the design, development and testing periods. While I am not privy to the Exact length of these activities, it would appear that they could have commenced some 18 or more months ago. 8)

The Wall said:

Ruger has traditionally waited until they 'get the bugs out' to fulfill the low serial program guns. They usually set aside the low serial number block and build them after they are sure that the quality will be what Ruger wants and their loyal customers expect. (This can be up to 2000 which seems to be the case for the SR1911)

AS to value..low serial number guns are valued more...has nothing to do with manufacture date most of the time....just another part of being a Ruger collector, do you want to collect low serial numbered guns or early manufacture guns, sometimes that is the same thing and sometimes not.

Isn't Ruger collecting fun.. :x :shock: :D :x ..reminds me, I need to take my medication...

regards

The Wall

Single-Sixer
I wonder if they have sent out S/N 01911 yet? I would be willing to pay more to have that one.

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
The Wall said:
I wonder if they have sent out S/N 01911 yet? I would be willing to pay more to have that one.

I think Ruger is going to auction off S/N 01911 and the proceeds go to a good charity.
Hey, rumors have to start somewhere. :D

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Just noticed Ser # 1942 on Gun Broker Today:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=250904285

ser# 01642 test fired 9/19/11

they also had 01643 and 01644 plus a few others as of last saturday ,,

see this link for info on the dealer

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=128221

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I just picked up 00507 today. Test Fired 8/23/11. He had several more three digit guns, and I saw at least one consecutive set.

Chef With A Gun

Bearcat
Mr Bumps? Did you get that SR 1911 in Waterbury VT? I was in town taking a class in Warren and had P***o's ship me one back to Chicago. I got 0068x!

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Chef With A Gun said:
Mr Bumps? Did you get that SR 1911 in Waterbury VT? I was in town taking a class in Warren and had P***o's ship me one back to Chicago. I got 0068x!

Sure Did. Henry, the owner, is a big Ruger Collector. He always seems to get all the new stuff early, and in quantity. I spend way too much money there! :D

Chef With A Gun

Bearcat
I dealt with him! Nice guy! He said the other dealers were not happy with him because he had like 25 SR1911's! As soon as I saw that thing I was instinctively reaching for my wallet!! My wife is out there often for business so I get out there once in awhile. Beautiful country! Hope you guys didn't get it to bad with the flood.