How are the 10mm SR1911’s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I finally took the plunge into the 10mm so looking for my next pistol. What's everyone's experience with SR1911 in 10mm? Anybody with high round counts? Do folks like the Bull barrel as opposed to traditional bushing? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I've owned a total of three different SR1911 10mm's. The first one, although a superb shooter, decided to self destruct on one outing. I fought Ruger extensively to get it repaired and/or replaced. It was finally Davidson's Lifetime Warranty that replaced the gun with a new one. I had no confidence in the new one, so I sold it, unfired. The new owner reports it's been perfect in every aspect.

I took another plunge, and bought another one for myself. This one has been perfect. I've reported before, these SR1911 10mm's are extremely accurate, and this last one is no different.

10mm ammo is available in the original, standard, high pressure loading, as well as the de-tuned powder-puff loadings. I nearly exclusively use the original, high pressure loadings. To me, there's no reason to carry or use a 10mm that is reduced to near .40 S&W loadings. But, it was Ruger that tried so desperately to deny responsibility, blaming me for using +P loads. There are no +P loads for 10mm!

And yes, the bushingless barrel makes field stripping very easy.

Last edited:

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
I have the Ruger 1911 10mm.....I really like it and it shoots quite well....The Bushingless barrel seems fine and I suppose they went that route for strength as the similar Colt Delta Elite's 10mm bushings had stress issues in the past...

I don't really like the little paperclip thingy Ruger provides for taking down the 10mm....but it's not a huge deal...

Overall.... I say buy the Ruger

Coyote56

Single-Sixer
IMG_0968.jpeg

Had this one for quite a few years now. Box stock except for the grips. Never a problem. Shoots great.

I've never owned a bull barrel 1911. One of my first actions with a new 1911 is fitting a EGW Oversized Barrel Bushing. Bull barrels seem dependent on factory accuracy in fitting.

Latest posts