Which Powder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

maddmaxx

Bearcat
I am just getting started in reloading and plan to help my son reload some during Christmas. He will load 40S&W and I will load 9mm. I plan to buy some Ranier plated bullets for both calibers. I never find any data for the Ranier brand out there but I have heard to treat them like lead when reloading. I have seen some data from Accurate powder for these bullets but I really have no Idea what powder to start with. I would like something that would work OK for 40 and 9mm.

wizofwas

Buckeye
I would suggest Bullseye as a good starting powder. It's one of the best pistol powders out there that can be used on most rounds.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Another old standby powder is Unique. I've loaded just about every pistol cartridge with Unique at one time or another.

I don't know about the specific brand of bullets you're using. I have loaded other plated / copper washed lead bullets the same as their lead counterparts with no problems.

Jeff

WESHOOT2

Hunter
For a newcomer to handloading, Bullseye is a bit 'fast' on the burn-rate chart for these auto-loader cartridges.
Perhaps a safer starting choice is something more in the 'medium' range on 'the chart', something like Alliant Power Pistol, Ramshot Silhouette, Vihtavuori 3N37, Hodgdon HS6, and Accurate AA5.
Sort and size all cases.
CCI500 primer.
Crimp using the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die.

Extensive experience with Rainier plated bullets (think "pallets") in these two chamberings leads me to recommend for 9mm either the 125g Penn Bullets LRN, or any major-brand 124g FMJ bullet.
In 40 S&W the Rainier 180g TCJ-FP gave good accuracy from numerous pistols.

5.0--6.0g Power Pistol in both 9mm and 40 S&W.
OAL 1.130--1.155" in 9x19.
OAL 1.130"+/-.005" in 40 S&W.

Make ten test ten. Make twenty test twenty. Make one hundred test one hundred.
Pass the test?
Make thousands..... :mrgreen:

timnc

Single-Sixer
Just to show that different experiences can result in different opinions. I have been reloading Ranier & Berry's plated 9mm 124gr & 115gr(both RN & HP) with 4.5 gr Bullseye for 15 yrs with excellent results. They have worked in several 9mm handguns incl the 9mm cylinder for my Blackhawk convertible. No functioning issues and accuracy ranging from acceptable to excellent @ 50ft indoor range distances. Like WESHOOT2 said test test test.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I would suggest the very popular Winchester W231 or Hodgdon HP-38 which is exactly the same powder. +1 on copper plated bullets for S&W 40 and 9mm. Use data for cast lead or the start load for a jacketed bullet of the same weight. Load only a few rounds at first and check the function. If necessary increase the powder charge until you get sure function in your guns. A light taper crimp works well on plated bullets.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

LAH

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
I would suggest the very popular Winchester W231 or Hodgdon HP-38 which is exactly the same powder. +1 on copper plated bullets for S&W 40 and 9mm. Use data for cast lead or the start load for a jacketed bullet of the same weight. Load only a few rounds at first and check the function. If necessary increase the powder charge until you get sure function in your guns. A light taper crimp works well on plated bullets.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

+1. I'm a Bullseye fan to be sure but the WW231/HP38 will do a fine job. Be sure to read the remarks for plated bullets by the manufactures. If memory serves you load them mid range, not min or max.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Green Dot will work but doesn't meter very well in small charges. W231 or Bullseye is what I would use. Titegroup is also a very good powder to use and its a little cheaper than all the others. I buy Titegroup by the 8lb jug. It meters extremely well and literally works in every common pistol caliber.

Lee Martin

Hunter
You do have to tap the measure when metering small amounts of Green Dot (as in 4 grains or less). That said, most Green Dot loads are 1.0 grain less than the equivalent Unique or W231.

I use TiteGroup in all my nonmagnum loads. It's cheap and advertised to be position insensitive(doesn't give as much variation in big cases). Does what I want to do.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
For those 2 rounds I would look to a medium speed handgun powder. Two that I use often are H. Universal & Win 231(a bit faster). I use mostly Universal for the 40.