What's everyone think about Vinyl Wraps???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hvymax

Blackhawk
Wether it's sprucing up that old beat up old car, motorcycle or gun that's showing it's age, custom camo job or even just accents this crap is really versatile. It's amazing the difference a few "stickers" can make. I just ordered some birdseye maple wrap for the grips on my LCP and Max9 as well as wrap one of my AR's furniture and some Louis Vuitton wrap for the grips on my Yeet Cannon.

Attachments

• IMG_20220525_182051933~2.jpg
    IMG_20220525_182051933~2.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20170212_162806194.jpg
    IMG_20170212_162806194.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20220805_193930123.jpg
    IMG_20220805_193930123.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88

Hvymax

Blackhawk
Being in the rust belt, I often wonder if it would be a good rust preventative.
It seems to be at least on the exterior surfaces. They sell precut kits for almost any configuration of firearm. It's a little tricky getting it right the first few times but gets easier. Start with a few mags and accessories. The kits for small items are pretty cheap. Uncut sheets can be had for a few dollars on eBay and Amazon. Even full coverage kits for rifles and shotguns are reasonably priced.

sc1911cwp

Single-Sixer
I recently watched a Video about this Topic. There is a Big difference in these Wraps as far as quality and cost. From a few thousand to a lot more. The surface has to be "prepped" before application and if it eventually needs to be replaced or removed after hopefully years of service, it can take the paint off.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
Cheap and easy. If you mess up or wear it out you can just peel it off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210-085855.png
    Screenshot_20221210-085855.png
    722.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20221210-085710.png
    Screenshot_20221210-085710.png
    286.6 KB · Views: 31

Hvymax

Blackhawk
I recently watched a Video about this Topic. There is a Big difference in these Wraps as far as quality and cost. From a few thousand to a lot more. The surface has to be "prepped" before application and if it eventually needs to be replaced or removed after hopefully years of service, it can take the paint off.
Cleaning with a solvent that will leave a clean oil free surface. If paint peels it was on the way out already and they probably weren't using heat when they did it. It goes on and comes off pretty easily with heat. A good craft heat gun is perfect. I have to be careful with my industrial paint stripping heat gun. I did the pistol using an $8 mag wrap kit just to try it. It went pretty mediocrely but was enough of a learning experience that I will do better next time. I'm sure there will be a local shop that can do it for a reasonable price. For a Hunting gun that comes out a few times a year it should last decades. For a daily carried piece you should get a few years if you get it right. I eventually peeled the slide because the way I pieced the vinyl together and not getting the ends tied together right. It's a cheap learning experience.

kmoore

Buckeye
I started seeing fishing guides using it on boats to help advertise their company and sponsors. It is poplar on motor vehicles and RVs as well. As far as using it, on those I still like polished aluminum boats and painted vehicles. Both take a lot more work than designing and putting on a wrap. Guns, I am not spending time or money doing it on any I own.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
I started seeing fishing guides using it on boats to help advertise their company and sponsors. It is poplar on motor vehicles and RVs as well. As far as using it, on those I still like polished aluminum boats and painted vehicles. Both take a lot more work than designing and putting on a wrap. Guns, I am not spending time or money doing it on any I own.
It's cheap, easy and low maintenance. What's not to like? Find a beat up old gun used and $50 later have the coolest gun in the rack

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
It's cheap, easy and low maintenance. What's not to like? Find a beat up old gun used and $50 later have the coolest gun in the rack

I might give it a try. My traditional approach for rehabbing beat up old guns (like FALs & AKs built from used parts kits) has been spray-can pickup truck bed liner for synthetic stocks & handguards, and high-temp automotive spray paint, baked on to metal parts using a home-made parts oven.
:)

Last edited:

Hvymax

Blackhawk
I might give it a try. My traditional approach for rehabbing beat up old guns (like FALs & AKs built from used parts kits) has been spray-can pickup truck bed liner for synthetic stocks & handguards, and high-temp automotive spray paint, baked on to metal parts using a home-made parts oven.
:)
Been there done that many times myself. I really discovered vinyl when doing my bike. Then I tried it on my best up old pistol to see what I thought. The ones on the bike are about 8 years old. The car a year. I've done many rattle can paint, bed liner and texture camo jobs on my guns. This allows me to get professional results after a few trial and error projects. I wait till the wife's not home to use the oven.

Last edited:

turd

Buckeye
Not sure this is the same, but I have clear vinyl on the front of both my Jeep Grand Cherokees. No more rock chips or bug guts that are hard to remove. I also had them line the rocker panels in an effort to keep from rock chips and rust in those areas. So far, so good. Nearly impossible to see unless you get close.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
Not sure this is the same, but I have clear vinyl on the front of both my Jeep Grand Cherokees. No more rock chips or bug guts that are hard to remove. I also had them line the rocker panels in an effort to keep from rock chips and rust in those areas. So far, so good. Nearly impossible to see unless you get close.
Similar material with any number of things printed on it. Camo, flags, wood grain etc. Protects and looks great. I'm going to do the grips on my LCP & Max9 and the m lock forend, grip and battlelink butt stock with birdseye maple. Just to make people look

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210-085855.png
    Screenshot_20221210-085855.png
    722.7 KB · Views: 10

RSIno1

Hunter
Cheap way to get graphics on a car/trailer. Most race cars today are wrapped. Sign painting talent is no longer needed. A friend had his trailer wrapped for a job he was doing. they made a lot of cuts to get the vinyl to lay down and match up. He had to rewrap it when done due to the cuts through the paint. Most cars rust from the inside out so wrapping won't help.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
Under $75 rifle/shotgun under$40 pistol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221211-000153.png
    Screenshot_20221211-000153.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20221211-000027.png
    Screenshot_20221211-000027.png
    376.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20221210-235943.png
    Screenshot_20221210-235943.png
    818.4 KB · Views: 17

KIR

Blackhawk
Back in 2008, I bought a 2001 Chevy S-10 and the tailgate had a large vinyl sticker of an NFL Raiders helmet. Being a raider hater, I wondered how I could take it off. Then I remembered, my wife's hair dryer. The sticker peeled off EZ peasy.

Mike J

Hunter
I'm not really interested in putting a wrap on one of my guns. I do remember seeing a thread elsewhere where a guy was thinking about rattle canning a wood stocked Browning rifle he was using to predator hunt. I would think a vinyl wrap would be a lot better option than rattle canning that rifle. I don't like permanent modifications that could devalue a gun. So I think they can be useful I just don't have a use for them at this time.

kmoore

Buckeye
To answer the question. I like to refinish wood if it needs it. I have cold blued many guns, but now it's Cerakoteing metal at a gun shop. I am not into flashy or custom art on a gun. At least mine. Many old guns have a nice patina. I am ok with that. I have switched 3 hunting rifles wood stocks to composite, recently bought a Christian Arms with a composite. They have black or brown or green base colors with different webbing colors added. They look nice but it's more for function not art. I have the opportunity this winter to build one myself from start to finish, a composite stock likely going on a Weatherby. I haven't though much on the colors or patterns yet.