What method do you like for Priming?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
One of the best products Lee ever came out with was their hand priming tool...and then they made it even better by adding a tray that holds a box of primers. There might be other brands that does just as well but I know that those two works.

DGW

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Boy, a lot of hand priming going on here.

I prime right on the press with my Lee Loadmaster. I rarely/never have priming problems, and make 450-500 rounds per hour going at a steady, relaxed pace. My last session was 1,000 rounds of 9 mm and 800 rounds of .40 S&W. Nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I used the one on the rockchucker with the tube feed when I got it many years ago. Then I got my first lee hand primer and removed the set-up from the press. I like the feel of the hand priming and the better accuracy. The first hand priming RCBS unit I got you had to insert the primers one at a time. Did not like it. The new ones have a primer tray but the pin still will fall out if not kept upright.
I batch load so I deprime/resize a bunch at a time. I like to prime while watching TV. It is easy and then I will have a bunch of brass ready to charge and seat bullets when I want. I store my brass in sealed top plactic containers and just put the cardboard from a primer tray in with each group so I will know what primers are in them even if it is months later when I load for them.
IF you get a lee be sure to lube the arm or it will not last. I have one that is no good due to not reading the directions and lubing the arm. I suggest you get two of them and have one set up for large primers and one set up for small primers if you load both. They are not hard to change but it is easier to have two.
My 2 Cents

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Lee hand primer tool. Been using them (a small and a large) for a loooog time and really like the feel it gives me in seating the primer and I've got a flat to run the case head over to make sure there is no high primer. Also have an RCBS with the universal shell holder, don't like it as well but it works; also, the little spring around the shell holder comes off easily.

gmaske

Bearcat
I'm currently using a Lee Classic Turret press with the Lee Safety Prime system installed. It works great! It will feed all but the last two primers and I just pop them out and set them in the feeder cup by hand.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I took that tube feed thingie and associated bits off my old RCBS Jr press so long ago I forgot where they are. Took the little "flip flop" gizmo off one or two other presses back then, too.

There's an "original" style single primer Lee hand tool, as well as a Lee Ram Prime tool, in the drawer. They're basically backups--used mainly for short runs w/ large rifle primers. Almost all of my priming today's done using the current style Lee hand tool w/ the primer tray.

Rick C

All my handgun ammo is loaded on various Dillon presses and the press does the priming. All my rifle ammo is primed with the hand held Lee Auto Prime, one set up for large primers and one for small. I bought a RCBS hand held tool only because I was loading some cartridges that Lee didn't have shell holders for, like the 50-90 Sharps for one. I like the Lee best....one of just a couple Lee tools I use. Lee got this one right.

Dennis.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Oh my, I am outnumbered about 100 to one. I use my Dillon 550B, and one at a time, now that I load very few cartridges and weigh every charge. Yeah, it's slow, but it's either that or tv or a book.
I like the Dllon press. I have all the leverage in the world, if I needed it, and can easily feel the primer hit the bottom of the pocket.
My bud has a handprimer and was loading many of his with high primers. He also was having ignition problems, of course.
Yeah, I'll stay with my Dillon, but I know the handprimers are good stuff.
Of course, I didn't go with a digital scale until last year; my Ohaus 505 worked for me for 50 years without a hitch. I still use it, occasionally, as another backup for my RCBS digial scale. Also, I use my check weights, 10 grains and 20 grains, as my digital scale doesn't hold zero very well.
Sonnytoo

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I am LAZY!! I use 2 Lee auto primes. One set up for small primers and the other large. You can feel the primer seat and you have a visual of the end product. best greg

SBH4628

Blackhawk
RCBS APS the feel of the primer is pretty good
379589896.jpg

dmazur

Bearcat
If you follow all the set-up instructions, the Dillon repriming feature on the 550B works just fine, IMO.

(It's kind of a pain to change over from large to small, but I don't have anything that uses small primers so this limitation doesn't bother me...)

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
I prime on the press using the Lee Safety Prime that came with it. I find it quicker as I can prime during the same step that I bell my pistol case mouths.

VL

Rclark

Hunter
RCBS Hand Primer setup. I tried the Hornady tube thingy on the press and never got it to work very well. The hand primer is great and I get a 'feel' for seating each one.

DanAKAL

Bearcat
I load on a Lyman T-Mag, Lyman Crusher, and a RCBS Rock Chucker. I've found the Lyman press mounted tubes to be more of a PITA than I care to deal with. Therefore, a hand press for me, as many others here have stated. I have two RCBS hand primers. One requires using the shell holder and the other has jaws that hold the shell. I recommend the jaw type, Universal I think it is called, as it is just more flexible and doesn't require changing out the shell holders. Should I one day get a progressive press I'll give the press priming tool my best effort to use. FWIW I like the way the Hornady LNL AP seats primers on the down stroke.

Dan

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
I use a lee pro1000 to de-cap and prime in one pass. I'll prime 200 to 400 cases in one sitting and store them in an old ammo can. Then I'll make ammo in small batches based on what I feel like shooting.

for small batches of +P or magnum where I care what primer I'm using, I'll use the lee auto prime( the hand primer). the ergonomics are bad, I wish hogue made a grip for it.

PS the pro1000 prime system is awful, but once you got the knack for it, it can work well.