What made you a Ruger rifle fan?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Biggs300

Bearcat
I've owed Ruger hand guns for some time but I'm a recent Ruger rifle convert. Two years ago bought an M77 358 Win and it is one the few rifles own that I will not part with. I recently added a Ruger #1S in 45-70 Gov't. Again, it has the same Ruger durable, balanced feel. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Architorture23

Bearcat
Honestly, that black zytel skeleton stock. I killed my first deer with a tang safety model in 7x57. I also had a Mini 30 for awhile and killed a few deer with it. So when I graduated HS my parents gave me my pick of a new deer rifle and that skeleton stocked, SS Ruger really jumped out at me. Mine's a .270 Win. and I really love it, lawyer trigger and all.

That was before I knew about all of the other things I love about Ruger... classic lines, CRF, and an extractor that would survive a nuclear blast.

Currently looking for another tang safety (or No. 1) 7x57 or 257 Bob as we speak.

black029

Single-Sixer
The Number 1's are a true classic, and it is sad to see them dwindle down to the few choices offered.
And in the early '70s, the Ruger 77 had become what the Model 70 used to be.

It all started with a10/22 and later a mini-14. For some reason, I fell in love with No.1's. I wish I still had some of my Ruger's from years past.

Attachments

• IMG_6546.jpeg
    IMG_6546.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Amazing how many people became attracted by the Ruger No.1 - and so it was with me as well.

I was looking for a .375 H&H and the lines of the No.1H Tropical were perfect: that Farquharson design and Alexander Henry forend were beautiful.

I thank Bill Ruger for re-introducing the design and also for getting me hooked on single-action pistols. The Ruger firearms are so solid and I trust them.

IMG_9361.jpeg

Mauser9

Blackhawk
My first walnut 10/22 back in 68. Fired any rounds I fed it and loved the shorter barrel and compactness of the length. Trusted Ruger's design and dependability. Added a R/A 22 magnum 8323 and equally handy and accurate.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I scored a Ruger red pad #1A in 243 from the old Rose Pawn in Tulsa for $250 cash and a 9mm S&W Ladysmith my wife had but was not strong enough to safely operate. At that time around 1982 a single shot rifle was a slow sell.
Such an awesome rifle. I shot several coyotes and deer with it. Sold it to cover bills in the late 90's for $800
I had a M77 with heavy barrel grey finish and laminated stock in 243 that would shoot 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips over Varget at 3965fps and pink mist prairie dogs at 500yds. Sold it in 2018 to help pay for life saving surgery copays.
Currently looking for a #1A in 30.06

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
I suppose my Ruger rifle started in my childhood with my 1st 10/22.
But around 1991 the stainless mk 2 skeleton was purchased and I never looked back.
Still hunt with it to this day.
They are indestructable.

bearden

Bearcat
Purchased my first Ruger rifle in 1978, bolt action in 308 for 278.00 (with tax) and the leopold scope VXlll 2x7 for 289.00 (with tax) still have the box and paperwork. I realized that dollar for dollar the ruger is a solid working mans firearm. I continue to use that rifle for deer hunting, but as I get older the Ruger in 6.5x55 is easier on the shoulder.
I have purchased a few more over the years but since my wife reads this site, I dont want to be to specific.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Like that Takedown 10/22 in stainless synthetic. Sure wish Ruger would produce it in 22 magnum. I know they had issues with the 96/22M but Savage figured it out with that A-22M as far as the power curve of the 22 mag. Something concerning delayed bolt I believe.

Cholo

Staff member
I liked their handguns so I figured I ought to like their rifles, too. I wanted a .243 which was the minimum allowed in TN at the time. I really liked their short action and 6# weight because I did a lot of walking while hunting private leases. Their ring setup was just icing on the cake. No one else offered all this at Ruger's price point in 1985, $358.22 OTD. It was a deer killing machine!

Latest posts