What made you a Ruger rifle fan?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

emfshields

Bearcat
Made in 'Amurica, seem to have a pretty good track record. The look of my Mini 14 is what baited me, shooting it got me hooked! Plus, ALL my friends have AR's and AK's (all different makes and models) so I wanted to bring something else to the shoot spot to compete with the bigger guns. If all of their products are as good as my rifle, I'll be back to buy something else from them for sure!

Architorture23

Bearcat
I killed my first deer with a friends' tang safety M77 in 7x57. My first Ruger was a Mini 30 and then I also got an M77 MK II in .270 Win. for HS graduation. It has killed a truckload of deer.

Quite simply, I think Ruger rifles are the best value in American rifles currently available. They are simple, functional, and rugged. I prefer the controlled round feed action and prefer the 3 position safety. The M77 extractor is extremely strong and the lines of the rifle are classic.

All of these things at a great price.

My first Ruger Rifle was a M-77 PL Liberty in 30-06! I loved the looks & owning a few Ruger Single Actions I knew I would be happy about the purchase. It is very accurate @ 250 yards with 180 grain Bulletd thats what I need for Elk & Mule deer.

I blame my Dad. Well, him and his 44 carbine. As an impressionable youth I thought that was the awesomest gun ever. A semi automatic with a big hole in the barrel. Fifty years later and it's still pretty cool.

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
The look of the Ruger #1 almost any model. Long before had the Money to own one I knew it was the rifle for me. I still like my model 70s but I want the #1 ahead of all others.

dgoalie

Bearcat
M77 RSI. My father had a Mannlicher-Shoenauer full stock when I was a teenager. Still kicking myself that gun is gone, but when I went to buy a rifle I had to have an RSI. My go to rifle is now an M77 Mark II Sporter in .270, but the RSIs are by far my favorite to take out of the safe.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I started this thread about a month ago and it's still going strong. I check back every few days and have really enjoyed the responses. I will have to see what other good questions I can come up with...

steenroller

Bearcat
I bought a tang safety 30-06 and put a Bushnell scope on it 25 years ago. It has been downhill since. I have threatened to put another scope on that rifle but it still hits so why mess with what works. All my centerfire bolt actions are Ruger. I have nothing against other rifles I just like the Rugers. I have an all weather 77/22 that I bought because I had a scope that needed a rifle. I have several 10/22s and a Mini-14. I have other rifles but for a bolt action I am always looking at Rugers. I hope to pass them on to my daughters and nephews or their kids.

wwb

Hunter
steenroller said:
.......... I have an all weather 77/22 that I bought because I had a scope that needed a rifle. ........

I need to remember that one !!

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
Well, it sure wasn't because of their 10/22's.

Actually, I can't claim being a fan of Ruger rifles in general. Only a fan of certain ones from the many that I have owned.

My over half a century "affair" with Ruger has been their old model revolvers, SA & DA, but especially the SA's.

mattusmc45

Bearcat
For the money, I think the m77 is the best thing out there. Sure you can buy more expensive guns but in their price range you can't beat them. Plus made in USA. I dealt with Ruger for service on a mini14 and an old army and was 100% happy with how they took care of me. Just a great company and great rifles.

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
The Number 1.
I was just finishing up a precision rifle course (SOTIC) courtesy of Uncle Sam and wanted to exploit my new skills while hunting things besides humans. I also wanted a challenge so I picked up a Number 1 in 30-06.
Turns out the Number 1 is not nearly as accurate as the rifles I had been working with in the service. However, I am a sucker for tradition, and the beauty of the Number 1 had me hooked. Following that I picked up a 77/22 in target configuration. Then much later I was lucky enough to acquire an Alaskan in 375 Ruger with the rare IonBond finish. I restocked it in wood and have a fantastic, semi-weatherproof rifle. Since then there have been a few others.

danpay

Bearcat
solid,relaiable, crf action . mine is a 77 al weather in 3006 and i love it.
daniel

bushmaster1313

Bearcat
The Ruger No. 1 RSI is a perfect example of what it is:

CIMG1646_zps43448279.jpg

Back in the early 80's when I started getting a little older, I began to look for a little lighter rifle for hunting in the mountains. When the 700 Mountain Rifle came out, I bought one in 30-06. It was great for about 10 years, then I needed something even more compact for mountain hunting. Wound up with my Ruger 77 MKII Compact rifle in .308, which my Son now owns. I migrated over to #1's later and have been a single shot shooter ever since, although on occasion I do use my tang safety VT 77 in 22-250 for varmints and the occasional Marlin or Browning lever gun.

For me, Ruger rifles were a natural choice because of my experience with Ruger SA revolvers. While not Ruger exclusive, they tend to dominate my rifle arsenal.......

Dave

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
so many lefty models, even the gunsight model is offered in lefty. l want one....BAD.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
Because, back in 1978, the classic, understated look of the M77 just appealed to me in every way.
Deciding to skip physics class in college one afternoon, I drove to Edelman's, a huge supermarket of firearms, looking to buy my first new deer rifle. Among the glossy Weatherby's and Sako's, sat a row of M77's. They just had the no-nonsense 'look' of a serious hunting rifle, and I took home a 77R in .270 cal.
Although I sold it when I got married 2 years later, it has remained my sentimental favorite. I've owned several rifles since, including MK II's and Hawkeyes, but always pined for my long-lost tang-safety model.
Well, last week I stopped in to my local gun shop, and there in the 'used' rack, was a tang-safety 77 in 7mm RM, in true safe queen condition. I ran home, looked up the s/n, and found that it was made in 1978!!! I called the shop, asked them to put it aside for me, and brought her home the next day. I haven't been this thrilled about a firearm purchase (or ANY purchase) since, well ... 1978! :D :D :D
This one isn't going to slip through my grasp EVER.

Jeff