What Does your Dealer Charge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flyinfred

Blackhawk
Mine is a friend as well as my dealer. He could charge me whatever and I just pay it. I trust him and he trusts me. I guess he charges $10 -20 per. But I am usually getting something else so it is all in the total and I just don't look.

roylt

Hunter
Local pawn shop charged 10 bucks last year but Jan 1st went to 15.

Super good deal if you bring in more than one. I got 5 from a few auctions and it was all for 10 bucks! (last year) You can do up to 5 guns on the transfer paper work. If I had 6 come in it would have been another 10 bucks. Basically charge per form.

87samurai

Bearcat
I've got that doesn't charge anything-but I have to drive about 20 miles round trip-I think it's a good trade out.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy bigtubby!

That $25 for the background check here in NV is a rip off by the FFLs here. That's really a part of the local FFL's charge for the transfer. I know two FFLs here and they give me the same BS; "It's only $25 for the transfer but it'll be another $25 for the background check phone call". Like they're not pocketing both. To me that's really a $50 transfer.
When I go over to Metro to register a new gun, they do that same background check phone call, and don't charge a thing.

TheDude

Single-Sixer
Ruger Packer said:
TheDude said:
....that means sales tax on the price of the gun plus shipping charges at 8.9%.

Thats a ripoff. :roll:

They never owned the stock (the firearm) and charge sales tax on property you bought from someone else! I'd call my state dept of revenue and report the business.

RP...that is state law. The gunshops have no choice. They all hate it, it makes a TON more paperwork for them but they have to do it. It sucks for sure but the gunshops are not to blame. It is the Gistapo law makers here in WA state.

Josh

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I charge 25.00 and sometimes I don't think that is enough. Most place here don't do transfers anymore. People think they are getting a great deal from buying on the internet but by the time they pay my transfer fee and I have to charge a tax.... the state calls it a "use tax" not sales tax the deal don't seem so great afterwards. In WA for handguns we have to send a state form to the county or city the person purchasing the gun is from and a copy to the state. It takes time to find were these forms need to be sent and most of the time you have more than an hour of time in it. Costs for us is postage, envelopes and time droping it off at the post office. I feel I should be able to charge a handling fee to the state for collecting their USE TAX for a sale I don't make any money on...

frogger

Bearcat
Mine charges $20. Try this link and maybe you can find a cheaper one near you...

http://www.auctionarms.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm

frogger

Bearcat
I checked on my own, just out of curiosity. Looks like he's a little high for your state.

Average Statewide Transfer Cost for CT: $29.36
14 Members were found.

Zip Code

First & Last Name

Company

City

State

FFL Fee

Type
06096 Cassandra Monaco Anthony's Collectibles Windsor Locks CT $20.00 FFL Transfer & Gunsmith
06268 Fred Vernic Mansfield Online Auctions M.O.A. Mansfield CT $25.00 FFL Transfer
06365 david vinkler ARMS, ARMAMENT & AMMUNITION PRESTON CT $25.00 FFL Transfer
06377 Darrin Doucette S.M.S. Guns Sterling CT $15.00 FFL Transfer
06447 Christopher Calllaway Chris Callaway Marlborough CT $20.00 FFL Transfer
06470 Arthur Hechler Art's Firearms Newtown CT $40.00 FFL Transfer
06472 Peter Bova RE-PETERS Northford CT $30.00 FFL Transfer
06483 Gary Mitkowski Mitz Arms & Ammo Seymour CT $35.00 FFL Transfer
06492 Joel Cramer Remarcable Arms Wallingford CT $33.00 FFL Transfer
06716 Anthony Zaccagnino Jr. Mad River Firearms Wolcott CT $25.00 FFL Transfer
06776 Thomas Whitcomb Housatonic Valley Firearms LLC New Milford CT $30.00 FFL Transfer
06776 Victor Benson The Freedom Shoppe New Milford CT $20.00 FFL Transfer
06790 David Miller David D. Miller Torrington CT $30.00 FFL Transfer
06855 JC woodward The Clockery Norwalk CT $50.00 FFL Transfer & Gunsmith

5of7

Hunter
TheDude said:
Ruger Packer said:
TheDude said:
....that means sales tax on the price of the gun plus shipping charges at 8.9%.

Thats a ripoff. :roll:

They never owned the stock (the firearm) and charge sales tax on property you bought from someone else! I'd call my state dept of revenue and report the business.

RP...that is state law. The gunshops have no choice. They all hate it, it makes a TON more paperwork for them but they have to do it. It sucks for sure but the gunshops are not to blame. It is the Gistapo law makers here in WA state.

Josh

Why would the state require a background check, in ADDITION to the background check that is conducted by the FBI?

The FBI checks the records in the state where the purchaser lives anyway.

TheDude

Single-Sixer
Read the post three up by RPM Enterprises. They only submit for a second background check on a handgun. That one goes to the city and state.
Thats not my gripe though, its the charging of "use tax" on an internet purchase, which equates to sales tax. That was new for 2010.
The second background check only means another form similar to the one we've always filled out for the ATF which takes the buyer another 5 minutes. Its the extra 70 - 80 bucks for sales tax that chaps me.

Josh

thegiantmidget

Bearcat
The shops around these rual parts want $45.00 and $40.00, respectively. A guy I know just got his ffl, though, and while I've made it no secret that I expect free transfers, he plans on charging the general public $20.00. There's a guy just over the state line that does them for $7.00! Does me no good though.$40.00 is high. Check the gunbroker ffl directory for your area. See if you can't do better.

writwing

Single-Sixer
frogger said:
I checked on my own, just out of curiosity. Looks like he's a little high for your state.

Average Statewide Transfer Cost for CT: $29.36
14 Members were found.

Zip Code

First & Last Name

Company

City

State

FFL Fee

Type
06096 Cassandra Monaco Anthony's Collectibles Windsor Locks CT $20.00 FFL Transfer & Gunsmith
06268 Fred Vernic Mansfield Online Auctions M.O.A. Mansfield CT $25.00 FFL Transfer
06365 david vinkler ARMS, ARMAMENT & AMMUNITION PRESTON CT $25.00 FFL Transfer
06377 Darrin Doucette S.M.S. Guns Sterling CT $15.00 FFL Transfer
06447 Christopher Calllaway Chris Callaway Marlborough CT $20.00 FFL Transfer
06470 Arthur Hechler Art's Firearms Newtown CT $40.00 FFL Transfer
06472 Peter Bova RE-PETERS Northford CT $30.00 FFL Transfer
06483 Gary Mitkowski Mitz Arms & Ammo Seymour CT $35.00 FFL Transfer
06492 Joel Cramer Remarcable Arms Wallingford CT $33.00 FFL Transfer
06716 Anthony Zaccagnino Jr. Mad River Firearms Wolcott CT $25.00 FFL Transfer
06776 Thomas Whitcomb Housatonic Valley Firearms LLC New Milford CT $30.00 FFL Transfer
06776 Victor Benson The Freedom Shoppe New Milford CT $20.00 FFL Transfer
06790 David Miller David D. Miller Torrington CT $30.00 FFL Transfer
06855 JC woodward The Clockery Norwalk CT $50.00 FFL Transfer & Gunsmith

Wow! Ireally appreciate your efforts. Thanks