What's your preferred trigger pull on a Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scooter1942

Bearcat
In the last couple of months I've scored three new Blackhawk's. The first was a distributor exclusive stainless 5.5" 45 Colt Bisley convertible. The next was a 6.5" stainless .357 and just today I found a brand new Lipsey's 4.65" stainless 44 Special Flat Top Bisley! My 45 Colt Bisley had a great trigger out of the box breaking at just under two pounds. I wasn't motivated to put a new trigger kit in it. The .357 was a little heavier and after a Wilson trigger spring replacement it is breaking at about 1.5 lbs. The newest is breaking right at 2 lbs 1.8 oz. with no shots fired yet.

So what trigger pull weight do you find to be light, crisp, but not so light as to be unsafe or unreliable? Just trying to get the most out of these SA's.

Pic added for sex appeal.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 31

Rclark

Hunter
2-3# for me. Never under 2#. All my shooters have had a professional action job with trigger pull reduced to 2-3# -- closer to 2 with virtually no creep. So every gun I pick up will 'feel' the same. For some this is to light. In cold weather I have to be most careful. For occasional shooters I think closer to 3# is better.

contender

Ruger Guru
I prefer a clean smooth trigger. Properly worked,, often a trigger can feel lighter than it actually is. I have a few guns that feel like 1-2 lbs,, while they actually measure over 3 lbs each. Too light can run the risk of a negligent discharge,, while a smooth one is a what we all should seek.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have no idea what weight I like, but then I have no way to measure it. I do know it when I feel it. What I don't like is a lot of creep.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Like Contender it isn't weight as much as clean. I can deal with up to 4# as long as it breaks very clean. If you're doing your part correctly the weight isn't noticed until it gets crazy heavy. I can't tell you how many times I have been pulling away until I get the "what's going on?" thought and realize the safety is still on.

Johnnu2

Hunter
For informal target shooting, I like 2lbs.; for woodchuck hunting with rifle, I have Jewell triggers at 1.5lbs. Beyond that, I believe that hunting handguns should be set so that they are safe in cold weather, for those with gloved hands, and those who just hunt once a year and may not be "gun people".
I have a LARGE note taped inside my gun-safe door warning others to BEWARE of super light triggers. In the event of my passing, I don't want anyone who will be handling my guns to have an accident.
J.

DutchV

Bearcat
I bought a used Blackhawk that came with a very clean two pound trigger. It feels a little light. 2.5 - 3 pounds seems about right, for me anyway.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Funny, I don't own a trigger pull gauge and just use the guns as they come out of the box. So far I haven't found a Ruger with a too long take up or gritty trigger, I guess if I did I'd focus on it.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
I don't know the pull weights but I love the trigger on my OM 30 Carbine & the Old Army as is. The NM Blackhawks were heavier. I put in Wollf 30 oz or 40 oz trigger spring, 30s in the 357 & Single Six 32 & 40s in the Buckeye 32 & NM 45. Much better.

Rockrat75

Bearcat
Prefer 1-2 lbs. Once had a SBH at 8 oz, but would only fire about 50% of the time as the transfer bar wouldn't come up far enough. Had to raise it to about 1 lb. Had to replace the hammer at about 15K rounds.

Rclark

Hunter
I believe that hunting handguns should be set so that they are safe in cold weather,
Not just hunting ... I had a 'surprise' once shooting in the cold at the outdoor range... So very careful now when fingers are 'cold' and can't feel much... Other that specialty guns I don't feel anything lighter than 2# is necessary, especially for a multi-use revolver (target plinking, woods walking, quick draw, hip shooting, etc.) . I have a 1860 Colt that I did to much filing on (one of my first 'experiments') . While it won't go off by dropping the gun with a cocked hammer on a piece of wood, just touching the trigger drops the hammer. I don't shoot it now (and wouldn't let anyone else shoot it), as much to 'dangerous' in my mind. There is light ... and then there is to light.

Latest posts