Hvymax- your extra long DW

Help Support Ruger Forum:

That picture has always intrigued me.

How does the barrel lock/secure to the shroud? Is it threaded from the breech end to the shroud end?

I know you use it for extreme distance. Doesn't the unsupported barrel whip?

Inquiring minds want to know. 🤣
Yes threaded from the forcing cone end. I suppose the extended part isn't tensioned like the rest of the barrel. It started out as a pissing contest on Guns and Ammo.com. I was complimenting a custom gunsmiths work who was using 357mag "Frankenrugers" to shoot groundhogs @ 500yds and suggested he see what it would do at 1,000yds. This started a poop storm of "You can't shoot a handgun 1,000yds. My logic is that people were shooting 45-70 at 1,000yds with iron sights all day 140 yrs ago and I am pushing every bit of that and more with modern optics.
I decided to start with 3-16" barrel blanks. 2 Douglas and a Pac Nor cut to my specs. I pulled the 10-40x off my 300 EBR and got to work. The Douglas both did 1 1/2"-2"@ 200yds with my cast bullets. The Pac Nor laid 300gr fmj into 3/4"@ 200yds. After that all I had to do was compensate for the 143'6" of drop at 1,000yds. 6 in 8". The standard 10" Douglas barrel would do 2"@ 200yds with 330 cast bullets no problem.
Dan Wesson was the Mad scientist playground!!! I suppose I could have made another full length sleeve but that would have required major machine work. For this all I had to do was turn and thread the blanks, crown and cone the ends. About 3 hours on the lathe.
I ran it with.002 cylinder gap and 300gr fmj going 1,650fps loaded with LilGun.

It was good enough for S&W and Taurus.
Screenshot_20230704-061449.jpg
Screenshot_20230704-065424.jpg

Hey Max,

How about a couple of close-ups of your custom DW if available. [PLEASE 🙏😁]
I took it back apart for more normal applications and my 300 wanted it's scope back. I pretty much slapped it together with things I had laying around. The scope mount is the original from the 80's canted to compensate for the 143'6" of drop. The 10-40x came off my 300 EBR. I went with the Pac Nor barrel over the 2 Douglas I ordered along with it. I don't even think I have over 4 hours of lathe time. This should be decently zoomable. I can see myself taking the picture in the barrel lug.
IMAG0421.jpg

Last edited:
"all I had to do was compensate for the 143'6" of drop at 1,000yds."

🤣 I'll make a note to call you when TSHTF, when artillery rds are needed. 🤣

And thanks for the picture. 👍

I was hoping to see how you threaded the barrel...

I am an old DW owner (well, I am old and so is the DW pistol pac). I am trying to get my head around your configuration. Let me say what I understand and then you correct me. (My signature belows says it all)
You threaded the barrel at the cone end and you gapped it like you would any DW barrel. Then you essentially free float it inside the shroud? What keeps the gap from changing as you fire?
There's a nut on the end as usual it matches the frame threads so only one setup and I stopped where the barrel sleeve ended. I set the gap at .002 for Mad Science Experiments .008 for more normal applications.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I am an old DW owner (well, I am old and so is the DW pistol pac). I am trying to get my head around your configuration. Let me say what I understand and then you correct me. (My signature belows says it all)
You threaded the barrel at the cone end and you gapped it like you would any DW barrel. Then you essentially free float it inside the shroud? What keeps the gap from changing as you fire?
what I assumed and believe was confirmed is roughly 10" of threads from the frame to shroud end with a matching barrel nut.

"all I had to do was compensate for the 143'6" of drop at 1,000yds."

🤣 I'll make a note to call you when TSHTF, when artillery rds are needed. 🤣

And thanks for the picture. 👍

I was hoping to see how you threaded the barrel...
I actually had my data run through the computers at a local military artillery R&D facility. I gathered data in 25yd increments to 200yds including wind, temp, humidity. You'd be amazed at the difference humidity makes at extreme ranges. The program used would supposedly get within 1/2" with good data!!!

Well evidently Smith and Wesson and Taurus are already making my ideal revolver. Both of the above pistols use sleeved barrels!!! WTF??? S&W even has barrel tubes for sale!!!

I'm not sure what I want to do next with the old Dan. I've pushed long range to the extreme. Lehigh makes 150gr Brass XP's. Maybe I can get them up to 3,000fps accurately at 100yds??? Go full tactical. Maybe I could vinyl wrap it camo so I don't have to violate that immaculate blue. Anyone have a rusty donor tube I could mount rails on?

How much would you charge for one like that? PM me.
I love experimenting.
I usually use my friends lathe for these things. Maybe you can find a machinist friend. If you want to launch cast bullets Douglas has a cut that looks like Marlin Microgrove that's amazing with them. I'm pretty sure the Pac Nor blank I got was for a subsonic rifle using jacketed bullets. There's a lot of science in the twist rates barrel length etc. I usually base my adjustments from stock. My original Douglas was 1tpi faster than stock for 330's going 1350fps. I'm wondering if my already faster twist barrels will work with lighter bullets at ludicrous speeds. Over stabilization is a thing as well.

Last edited:
For your barrel selection you really need to think about what you are trying to accomplish. If you aren't going to push anything over 300gr over standard+P velocity the factory twist rate should be fine. Cast or jacketed is your next consideration. For lead core jacket you can even get polygonal rifling and or gain twist barrels. The possibilities truly are endless. When I establish a few baselines I usually start with 3 different barrels and work up loads for them and see what happens and go from there. It's not a cheap or easy process. But when the Mad Science works, IT LIVES!!!