What do you ship rifles in?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I have a Ruger Marlin that has to go back to the factory. They recommended not shipping it in the box it came in because it says Marlin on it. I have several hard cases, but none are in the box. I went to local The UPS Store and all they had that would fit a hard case was huge and they didn't recommend cutting it down.

I ordered a new Plano case off Amazon thinking it would come in a fitted box. Nope. It came in a huge flimsy box that could fit 6-8 hard cases.

So, what do you use to ship rifles in? Thanks.

I often make my own carboard boxes, using my sheetmetal skills learned long ago. And for blank material, I buy rifle cartons from U-Line. They have every sized carton imaginable. Buying the large boxes, there is plenty of material to trim the boxes to a usable size. I keep 10-or-so of them handy.

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 13-28-18 ULINE Search Results Rifle Box.png

Also, if you look in the back room of many respectable firearms dealers, they have shipping cartons piled up. Ask them for one.

I keep original boxes & if I ship I use those with an outer covering. I'll cut & fold card board or heavy brown paper. Tape, lots of tape, clear tape, lots of it.

Many original boxes are the type that fold into a 3D shape from flat cardboard. They are usually only marked/labeled on the outside, in which case I unfold them so they are flat, and then refold them "inside out", so the manufacturer's logo, end label, etc., are on the inside. And as you say, use lots & lots of tape!
:)

Cholo

Staff member
Some great ideas! Thanks, gents.

I should have gone to my small LGS to see if they had a box that would fit one of my 2 hard cases. I can still do that on Tues/Wed. I do have a real HD box my ORCA cooler came in, but I've got it loaded with heavy stuff. Still, it could be cut to size. Lots of tape is a given.

I would take the box the new case came in and cut it down to fit snugly as a shipper.
The thing is I didn't need a new hard case because I never use them. I bought a Plano I already have one of figuring it would come in a fitted box and I could get the rifle shipped to Ruger in a jiffy. Not to be. I paid Amazon $48.57 delivered for it and I can return it free.

I had no idea what the process was to send a rifle back to Ruger. I told the guy I didn't want to send the stock in with it because the wood is gorgeous. Nope, I had to send it with the stock attached. It's really just get it back to us, how is up to you.

WAYNO, I used to do a lot of business with ULINE when I was still working. Top quality at unbeatable prices!

Thanks, all (y)

hittman

Staff member
My son in law is a UPS driver. He delivers a lot of guns. He said …..
1. Make your own,
2. Go to local UPS store and see if they have a box and/or could make you one,
3. U-line.

We're fortunate to have a locally owned UPS store here. My granddaughter worked there for a year or so. They've always been super helpful and pretty reasonable.

Cholo

Staff member
2. Go to local UPS store and see if they have a box and/or could make you one,
That's the first place I went. I thought they made custom boxes, but no. He didn't recommend cutting the box down. The box had lots of scored lines to shorten the box, but not in the direction I needed to go. He said the box would be compromised.

If my LGS doesn't have one I'll just make one.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
When I got my two Garands from CMP they came in custom made hard plastic cases which slip into obviously custom cardboard boxes. It's a great system and I ever had to ship a long gun I would buy an inexpensive hard case put rifle inside and find a cardboard box a little bigger and slide the hard box inside to pad it and make tight inside.

Last edited:

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
The thing is I didn't need a new hard case because I never use them. I bought a Plano I already have one of figuring it would come in a fitted box and I could get the rifle shipped to Ruger in a jiffy. Not to be. I paid Amazon $48.57 delivered for it and I can return it free.
I have more cases than I know what to do with, but, when I needed to send a SxS shotgun to a gunsmith I bought a cheap case from Amazon (cheapest POS case you'll ever see) that was perfect. Do I need the case, no, but I'll keep it because I know that someday I will need to ship another one somewhere.

Sell the case, keep the box. :)

I save the original packaging and utilize it with an outer covering when I ship. Sometimes I would take the box the new case arrived in and trim it down to fit snugly as a shipper. Other times, I would cut and fold card board or thick brown paper.

I have had to ship several guns back to the manufacturer. When I ship to Ruger I always pay to have them provide the shipping label- that way the gun is delivered directly back to me. I wonder if they would ship you an empty box for a return. It couldn't cost too much- probably less than that Amazon case. If you were close I would give you one of my spare shipping boxes…

If you have to modify a box- I have a helpful hint. Get a cheap window screen spline roller. They work great for making creases for bends in boxes without sacrificing structural strength.

As far as the stock- if I had a beautiful piece of furniture there's no way I would ever let it out of my sight. I've bought spare stocks just so I didn't have to ship a nice one.

Cholo

Staff member
Get a cheap window screen spline roller. They work great for making creases for bends in boxes without sacrificing structural strength.
Great idea and I'll look into that!
As far as the stock- if I had a beautiful piece of furniture there's no way I would ever let it out of my sight. I've bought spare stocks just so I didn't have to ship a nice one.
I thought about that and brushed it off. I'm willing to pay not to send my wood back. I'll give Ruger/Marlin a call as new stocks aren't listed on their website. Here's the wood:

1704072232445.png

Latest posts