Wasnt sure where to post this

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
With open sights if the front sight is centered over the bore but the rear sight is off center a little say less than 1/8. What affect would there be sighting in. If sighted at 50 yards would poi be off to left or right due to off center rear sight? Please keep it simple my brains only got one speed SLOW lol

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Sorry exrayist. I know all the sight adjusting stuff. Im looking forcwhat affect on poi would a off center rear sight. Example say we adjust the sight for a dead center bullseye at 50 yards ,,,now if we shoot at 70,80,90,100 are we still going to be dead center or is poi going to shift left or right as we move the distance farther out?

Sorry exrayist. I know all the sight adjusting stuff. Im looking forcwhat affect on poi would a off center rear sight. Example say we adjust the sight for a dead center bullseye at 50 yards ,,,now if we shoot at 70,80,90,100 are we still going to be dead center or is poi going to shift left or right as we move the distance farther out?

The path traveled by a bullet when it is fired is influenced by many factors, including bullet length/weight, velocity, how fast the bullet is spinning, and which direction it is spinning. It is pretty much guaranteed that even if you could get your front and rear sights perfectly centered over the bore, your bullet would not travel in perfect alignment with the barrel, and any deviation would likely increase with distance from the muzzle.

As always FWIW, IIRC, YMMV, etc.
:)

Last edited:

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
To answer the question; if your rear sight is an eighth of an inch off, you will not hit a small target at any distance beyond about 10 yards.
Your point of impact would get farther from your point of aim as distance gets longer.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
mhtractorguy ,thats what i thought.So if my rear sight is 1/16 to 3/32 off center,,,,its a tang sight ,,thought i should mention that.... ok1/16 to 3/32 off center should i uss with redoing the hole drilled in the tang to get it as close to perfect as i can? Its a 100 yard or less plinker ,,posible deer hunt a couple times.
45 colt uberti ,,,,by the way you answered the question and was straight to the point. I appreciate that.

mhtractorguy ,thats what i thought.So if my rear sight is 1/16 to 3/32 off center,,,,its a tang sight ,,thought i should mention that.... ok1/16 to 3/32 off center should i uss with redoing the hole drilled in the tang to get it as close to perfect as i can? Its a 100 yard or less plinker ,,posible deer hunt a couple times.
45 colt uberti ,,,,by the way you answered the question and was straight to the point. I appreciate that.

Is your front sight windage adjustable (can you move it left-right)?

(Edit: Please don't start "redoing the hole drilled in the tang" or drilling more holes in the rifle, when you can probably adjust the front sight - if that's even needed, which you won't know until you sight it in, as @Xrayist suggested.)
:)

Last edited:

NikA

Buckeye
How did you measure the sight to be off? In your posts it's gone from being 1/8" to 1/16" to 3/32", unless you've actually measured to determine the magnitude of the problem I wouldn't touch it until you sight it in and show it's a problem.

The amount of POI change vs rear sight offset will depend on the distance between front and rear sight. Sights further apart will have less POI change than sights closer together.
In addition, as NikA pointed out the offset you noted may be what's necessary to accommodate a slight mis-alignment of bore.

s4s4u

Hunter
If your rear sight is off to one side, it is likely because your front sight is also or because the bore is not truly running parallel to the exterior of the barrel. The sight line will be parallel to the bore for the most part when adjusted correctly and that should continue downrange for the most part. Some really heavy loads that cause severe torque when fired will require a different sight adjustment than softer shooting handguns to overcome that. My 45/45 Convertible requires a different sight setting with ACP than with the Colt cylinder. If you watch the vids of the BIG bore, Linebaugh class cartridges and the big Smiths, shooters you sometimes wonder how they hit anything, with all that recoil.

Last edited:
The way I adjust my Lyman Tang Sights ( I only use the one factory hole) to a 90 degree vertical position if required. Take a thin piece of cardboard or two and place under one side of the sight then tighten down SNUG. Now adjust the front sight as required. The Marble Tang sights have windage adjustment.
DO NOT mess with the threaded tang receiver hole. All you will do is screw it up. This isn't rocket science. It is a pistol caliber 45 Colts that is only good for 100/200 yards or so.

AZ10X

Bearcat
OP you have your task bass ackward. Shoot a target with the sights are they are then:
To adjust open sights follow the procedure explained below.

Step 1Determine the Correct Group Center and Deviation
In the article Determining the Correct Group Center we have used an example where the statistically correct center of a 5-shot group fired at 50 yards was determined. In that example the center of the group was 0.863" (21,9mm) to the left of the aiming point and 1.5934" (40,5mm) too high. This means the group center has to move right and down.
Step 2Measure the Distance Between Sights
The next step is to measure the distances between the face of the rear sight blade and the face of the front sight. Let's make it 8.976" (228mm) for our purposes. The distance between the front sight and the target is important as well. For this example we take it as 50 yards (1,800" or 45 720mm).
Step 3Apply the Adjustment Formula
The formula to adjust (drift) the rear sight for corrections is:
M = (R x E) ÷ DM is the rear sight movement (unknown)
R is the sight radius: 8.976" (228mm)
E is desired change of impact point: 0.863" (21,9mm)
D the distance between front sight and target: 1,800" (45 720mm)
Example: ImperialMetric
M = (R x E) ÷ DM = (R x E) ÷ D
M = (8.976" x 0.863") ÷ 1,800"M = (228mm x 21,9mm) ÷ 91 440mm
M = 0.004303"M = 0.109213mm
Step 4Apply the Calculation
The rear sight has to be moved 0.004303" (0.109213mm) in the same direction than the center of the fired group has to move to coincide with the initial point of aim. In our example that is to the right.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The way to think about this is that when you adjust your sights (elevation or windage) you are not actually moving your line of sight. You are adjusting the centerline of the bore to coincide with your line of sight. Doesn't matter what kind of sight - iron, scope, whatever. If we ignore external ballistics (everything that effects the bullet after it leaves the bore, including gravity), the bullet will go in the direction the bore is pointed. It's all about the angles- the angular difference between what your eye sees, and what the bore sees.

Last edited:

Latest posts