Where to Hydrodip? A Ruger 350 magnum stock, or an aftermarket replacement??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MuskieMan223

Buckeye
Finally got my paws on a stainless ruger 77mkii 350 magnum, I'm not a fan of black stocks and was considering sending it out somewhere to have it hydrodipped camo, any recommendations for this??

Standard aftermarket replacement stocks won't work with these magnums as the magazine box is wider than a normal short action

If anyone has a recommendation on a sure fit replacement stock let me know

hittman

Staff member
Member RoninPA refinishes a lot of guns. If he doesn't do long guns maybe he knows a source for you.

Lots of wrap options. They really adhere well to plastic. You should be able get a vinyl wrap for about $50. Some alcohol to prep a heat gun and a hard rubber squeegee to work the air out.

On the polymer frame on my daily carry P11 extremely well. I did peel the slide because some of the edges were coming loose due to it being my first attempt and my piecing together a magazine kit to do my pistol. This is usually carried IWB using the clip. So it gets a lot of wear. After 29 years it was looking rough so I tried the wrap. Mine was a half assed attempt using a cheap mag kit. Take your time and let the heat do the work just be careful and watch a few YouTubes. Even if you get a few wrinkles on your first try you can always peel it off and learn from the experience. I'm getting ready to try some faux birdseye maple grips on my LCP and Max9 just for giggles a sheet of the vinyl cost $5. I'm planning on wrapping the furniture on my 450 Bushmaster AR just for giggles!!! I have a High Point Yeet Cannon that's waiting for the Louis Vuitton wrap for the grips. You can get almost anything printed in vinyl. I have it on my car and motorcycle as well. The crap is amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_172209732~2.jpg
    IMG_20221129_172209732~2.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 73

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Do yourself a favor and put a laminate stock on that thing and set the synthetic stock in the closet. Money way better spent.

With the lightweight synthetic and heavy loads the 350's I've had want to jump up and punch you in the cheek. No fun at all. I put laminate stocks on them and they weren't that much heavier but the balance made all the difference in the world and the rifle behaved as you would expect and I could shoot boxes of ammo at a time if I cared to do it.

MuskieMan223

Buckeye
waa planning to do laminate but didn't plan to glass bed it, Boyd's told me it needed bedded, ruger factory lamiNate stocks are known to crack, I have a 308 right now that's cracked next to the trigger guard

MuskieMan223

Buckeye
Thinking about a hogue overmold but not sure if I'll be able to get the magazine well opened to use the fatter 350 magazine box

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I've never heard that factory laminate stocks are prone to cracking. Don't believe that statement for a minute. I've owned too many and been into these rifles too long and know better. And any factory short action stock will work. From 223 to the 350 and wsm's. They all had the same barrel profile. And the mag well only needs to be widened out ever so slightly to fit any of them. I've done it a few times. And with the small amount required to fit the box , I can't believe they don't just make them all the same.

If you want a good professional hydrodip coating, look for a gunsmith that does thyat as part of their work. They will know exactly what to do to prep the gun to get the best results. Also, with hydrodip there are so many different variations you can go from mild to out of this world wild.

I personally do not do hydrodip as I don't have the room for the tanks require to do the correct prep work and the dip. I have seen so extremely nice jobs that really enhance the looks of the rifle/shotgun. As for durability, It's good as longe as you aren't dragging you gun through thick rough brush that acts like sand paper. Maintain your firearm like you would normally do and it will look good for a long time.