New to forum and new to Mini 14.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twobits

Bearcat
I recently bought my first Mini 14. It is a 181 version made in 1978. Is there anything I should know before I go out and shoot it.
IMG_20240212_101136399.jpg
IMG_20240212_101107665.jpg

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Welcome from NH.....Enjoy your new Mini....

If you didn't already know....your Mini 14 will probably set a new personal record of 'Farthest Flung Brass'.......very satisfying I might add.....

welcome from NE Ohio,,,had one ,same vintage and at that time I used it in a match at the club, against all the others who were using military .30 cal assorted weapons, I won the match, qualified me to get my M-1 Garand from the DCM besides,,,,good gun and mine was very accurate , just tough to see (spot) your holes at 100- 200 yards....ahh those were the days, but more fun shooting .357 mag handguns at 200 yards, steel plates...............enjoy it:cool:;)

twobits

Bearcat
welcome from NE Ohio,,,had one ,same vintage and at that time I used it in a match at the club, against all the others who were using military .30 cal assorted weapons, I won the match, qualified me to get my M-1 Garand from the DCM besides,,,,good gun and mine was very accurate , just tough to see (spot) your holes at 100- 200 yards....ahh those were the days, but more fun shooting .357 mag handguns at 200 yards, steel plates...............enjoy it:cool:;)
Just hoping to be able to ring my 6" gong at 100yds from offhand position on a regular basis. Maybe even ring the 4" one.

twobits

Bearcat
There appears to be a spiraling effect on the outside of my barrel, like you would get from turning it on a lathe. Also there is a step on the outside half way between the gas block and front sight. Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_121620298.jpg
    IMG_20240214_121620298.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 40

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
After wanting one for many years, I finally broke down and bought one for a Christmas present to myself.

First range trip I ran several magazines full at 25 yds. And it was right on target. Next time I'll be @ 50 yds. Now that my confidence is up.

BTW The gun ran flawlessly, and was a joy to shoot! 🤙

twobits

Bearcat
that looks normal
Well just got back from my gunsmith. He said that the gun barrel appears to be normal. He also did a safety check on the gun and found everything ok. He did say that someone had done a trigger job on the gun but it was safe to use. Also as I had thought another owner had put an aftermarket front sight and muzzle device on it along with a aluminum handguard. He thinks they were all made by Choate. Also said it appears to him it has seen very little use. Told me to shoot her and enjoy.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Great advice from your Smith.......As for the flash suppressor / sight..... The Mini 14 is one gun that actually greatly benefits from a flash suppressor.... ( unlike a 10/22 or AR )

A nice old vintage Mini 14 ( non ranch rifle ) like yours .....without a flash suppressor .....shoots out a big flame out the muzzle unlike an AR 15....
The flash suppressor really tames the fire breathing dragon down....

Why a vintage Mini 14 vs Ranch Rifle is different......( other than scope rings ) .... can't tell you why....but one throws brass out and forward.....the other out and back.... ( can't remember which one does what....but you can tell us after your trip to the range....)

I recently acquired NIB Ruger Mini-14 Tactical in .300 Blackout caliber. Too busy with other projects, so it has yet to see the range. I bought this particular piece for a number of reasons: 1. It's a Ruger; 2. It's a Mini-14 ?; 3. It has a short barrel (16.5) & flash hider; 4. I don't like the 7.62x39 cartridge; 5. I do very much like the .300BLK specs & available options.
Why did Ruger designate the "Blackout" rifle a Mini-14 (7.62x35) instead of Mini-30 (7.62x39)?

twobits

Bearcat
Welcome from NH.....Enjoy your new Mini....

If you didn't already know....your Mini 14 will probably set a new personal record of 'Farthest Flung Brass'.......very satisfying I might add.....
Not an issue as I have an old welders curtain I put up alongside my shooting bench to keep my pistol.brass from going into the ditch along side by gun range.

twobits

Bearcat
I recently acquired NIB Ruger Mini-14 Tactical in .300 Blackout caliber. Too busy with other projects, so it has yet to see the range. I bought this particular piece for a number of reasons: 1. It's a Ruger; 2. It's a Mini-14 ?; 3. It has a short barrel (16.5) & flash hider; 4. I don't like the 7.62x39 cartridge; 5. I do very much like the .300BLK specs & available options.
Why did Ruger designate the "Blackout" rifle a Mini-14 (7.62x35) instead of Mini-30 (7.62x39)?
Something to ask Ruger but my guess has to do with possible confusion between the two different cartridges.

twobits

Bearcat
Is there any real reason to install a barrel strut on a Mini 14? I just ordered one but wanted to know why or if they are needed.

hittman

Staff member
I think accuracy improvement even though they were never ( initially ) advertised as a target rifle … to each their own LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts