Wanted: Manson cylinder throat reamer for 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GP100man

Buckeye
Contact "DougGuy" he has the correct tools to measure & cut each cyl.

As easy as it seems I was gonna ream my revolvers throats (6 in all the 38/357s) but just from sluggin the throats I knew I needed different pilots ,at least 5 different 1s(this is very important as the pilots keep the reamer in perfect alignment)& made it more cost efficient for me as I live close enuff to DougGuy so I drove to his house & disassembled 5 of my revolvers got the throats reamed, cones cleaned up & the charge holes chamfered.

I was impressed by his equipment & his professionalism in performing these operations!
& the visiting weren't bad either!!

I`ve shot 3 of the 5 & the results are just as he said , the guns shoot better ,with less leading in throats(as they`re all the same size now) & cones (very smooth now) unfortunately I just can`t hold em still enuff unless I brace my forearms on the bench & wear an intermediate pair of glasses to see with !!

Getting old ain`t for sissys & I told em (family) no more BDs for me !!LOL

Addition: I`ve had this done before (not fully knowing what was needed & not by me)& while the throats were indeed reamed some of the throats went off centered by not using the correct pilot & spit terribly.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I'm with GP100man; I love doing my own work whenever possible, and would tackle chamfering charge holes myself, but reaming cylinder throats and cleaning up forcing cones can have a huge impact on accuracy and is really something best left to professionals. Those are tasks where, even if you have the right tools, learning on the job can pretty much cost you a gun...

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
marlin1881 said:
I only have one gun to do, but like doing some 'smith work myself. Anyone have one of these laying around?

Thanks,

Marlin

I would be glad to help you out with your cylinder throats for roughly 1/4 the cost of the reamer and the pilot kit if you send me a PM. If you are only doing one cylinder, it is a LOT cheaper than having to invest in the reamer and pilots. As GP100man mentioned, the pilot kit is a must have for this job.

Jimbo357mag said:
...and here I thought only 45 colts had problems with their cylinder throats. :cry:

I keep cylinder throat reamers in .357/9mm .40 S&W/10mm .41 Magnum .44 Magnum .45 ACP/.45 Colt. I ream more .45 cylinders than any of the others but you see tight throats in all the cylinders because they let their reamers get pretty worn before replacing them.

It's totally not uncommon to see a cylinder where the charge hole/chamber before the throat is undersized since those are reamed as well. I had to buy a .357 finishing reamer and clean up one customer's cylinder before it would even chamber a .3585" cast boolit which measured .379" at the crimp, when SAAMI calls for the cylinder to be .380" before the chamfer.

Doug