RUGER SECURITY SIX .357 STAINLESS STEEL CYLINDER ROTATES WITHOUT PULLING TRIGGER RUGER SECURITY SIX .357 STAINLESS STEEL, CYLINDER LATCH/STOP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1slow

Bearcat
With the cylinder closed and the hammer down at rest, the cylinder can be rotated with gentle finger pressure.

With the trigger pulled and the hammer down the cylinder locks up properly and will not rotate.

Comparing to other Security Sixes the cylinder stop/latch does not seem to stick up as far at rest. It can be pulled up with fingers to match other SS stop/latches.

I suspect the spring may be weak , latch may be worn or have a burr.

What do you suggest ?

Thanks.

Could be old lubricant, or a bad spring. If you're comfortable disassembling it, do so, take a look at the springs to see if any are broken or if the gun's innards are gunked up with old grease/dried up oil and powder residue. There are videos on Youtube that show how to disassemble a Six Series revolver.

I wouldn't send it to Ruger. They don't have parts to repair it and no longer work on the Six Series revolvers.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm thinking you might be lucky and it's just gunked up with oil. If you aren't comfortable with taking it apart and cleaning it our (and checking the springs), you could try:

1) spraying the hell out of the insides (thru common openings) with Gun Scrubber or Carb cleaner (then lightly re-oil) OR

2) take off wood and any plastic (?) parts and let it soak for a week in Kerosene... (blow out with compressed air); no need to lubricate after this bec. Kerosene leaves enough of a lubricant film on the parts.

If that doesn't work, you probably have something broken.

J.

Disassemble and remove the cylinder assembly. In the bottom of the crane, where it rotates, the part sticking out is the cylinder latch plunger and spring. That is what puts pressure on the cylinder latch to make it go up into position. As you remove the plunger and spring observe how it is working. It should move very easily and when pushing it in should have some resistance to it. If it is binding, clean everything, look at the spring (uncompressed it should be 5/8" long). Reassemble and retry.