Barrel/cylinder interchangeability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
Question, can you put a new model 44 Spec. cylinder and barrel on an old model Blackhawk in .357? I guess I am asking about the cylinder length and any other issues as I am pretty sure the barrels will interchange. Thanks in advance.

barrel set back is further back in the newer models so less of a gas seal ( stub/ring) on the front of the cylinder for the older models and LONGER for the new models.......
CxG6tPEm.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Good point Dan,
However,, if using a NM barrel AND a NM cylinder,, then the barrel might protrude into the frame window properly???

I'd think the barrel itself is the same length, ,its the width(thickness ) of the cylinder frame and how far it allows it to set back??? never tried to put a NM barrel on an OM frame...........
from our late friend Roland Kirschs' drawings for Bill Ross Ruger book,,,miss him we do

Attachments

• 406497844.jpg
    406497844.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 49

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I need to clarify, the barrel and cylinder is off of one of the Lipsey's .44 Special flat top. If that makes a difference.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I removed my old model flattop .357 barrel and cylinder and replaced them with a Lipsey new model flattop .44 barrel and cylinder found on gunbroker. No fitting needed. I did another one and the only fitting was the barrel/cylinder gap of the new model 44 Mag barrel that was used.

Hankus

Blackhawk
I'd think the barrel itself is the same length, ,its the width(thickness ) of the cylinder frame and how far it allows it to set back??? never tried to put a NM barrel on an OM frame...........
from our late friend Roland Kirschs' drawings for Bill Ross Ruger book,,,miss him we do
This explains why a NM 9mm cylinder doesn't fit in my 2005 50th Anniversary Flattop, IF the 2005 frame matches the dimensions of the old flattop. I'll have to get my dial caliper out this weekend…

Hondo44

Hawkeye
This explains why a NM 9mm cylinder doesn't fit in my 2005 50th Anniversary Flattop, IF the 2005 frame matches the dimensions of the old flattop. I'll have to get my dial caliper out this weekend…
The OM flattop frame will match your 50th frame. The NM 9mm cylinder you tried (long gas ring boss in front right?) came from a large frame Blackhawk. Until 2005 all 357/9mms were only made on the large frames. You need to get a nm flattop or New Vaquero (which are both made on the OM midsize frame), 9mm cylinder, it will fit your 50th Ann. Flattop.

Last edited:
yes, the "newer", "New " models like mentioned above ( Thank you Hondo) can interchange, those we have not had to work on, came along later for us,,,my initial comments were for the old model, newer old model and then to the 1973 New models as were covered in book from Bill Ross............the cylinder frames of the post 2005 anniversary models as well as the grip frames and their sizes throw a monkey wrench into things, ah , but still Thank God for "retirement" and NOT have to worry ,fret about those any more...again Thank you Hondo for the 'fill in" and update.....(y);)

Latest posts