Vaquero customization ideas?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Gary Reeder in AZ converted a NM Super Blackhawk for me to a 5 shot 454 Casull (El Diablo configuration). Really nice gun=shot 2" groups for 2 shot at 10 yards (then I started to flinch). He can do any level of customization from mild to wild. My SIL is from Alaska and wants to go back to hunt, so I gave it to him. I still have a OM Blackhawk in 45 Colt.
20140602191927538cce3f19aae-zpscf73f5e3.jpg

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
One that I did myself was to use a birdshead (too painful with heavy loads) OM Vaquero. Added a Bisley grip and Hogue oversize wood grips. Kept ejector and housing. Nice woods gun and very comfortable with heavy (i.e. "grizzly bear") loads. Drawback was I couldn't find a decent small/short holster.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Professor...just was reading about the Croft Featherweights in a copy of American Rifleman at archive.org, page 19
sim_american-rifleman_1928-09_76_9.pdf
How does yours carry and shoot? By the looks, you nailed it.

Bobby Tyler is doing a collaboration with Ronnie Wells- a featherweight Vaquero.
95453BE4-0B75-4E2F-9C0D-A8AC2033AFCE.jpeg

I've got a .45 New Vaquero that I'm going to partially copy this build. I have a RW Dealer grip frame in aluminum, and I need to decide on Micarta or wood for grips. I haven't decided how to proceed from there.

Professor...just was reading about the Croft Featherweights in a copy of American Rifleman at archive.org, page 19
sim_american-rifleman_1928-09_76_9.pdf
How does yours carry and shoot? By the looks, you nailed it.
It's great fun. No ejector rod so reloads are slow. It's fun. John Powers builds accurate guns. I'm not sure whose barrel blank he used but it's accurate. I carry it in a simply rugged 120. My favorite holster design for single action.

Hankus

Single-Sixer
I finally scored a .45ACP cylinder from an OM Flattop Blackhawk this morning and have my elk antler grips. Now to decide on a shop to repair the finishes and do the action job and cylinder fitting!

91B40

Bearcat
If it were mine, I would do two things:
1. Have the cylinder throats reamed to be uniformly the correct size for cast bullets measuring .452".
2. Send it off to a good refinisher for a matte hard chrome job.

willicd76

Bearcat
To make it more user friendly, you could have the top strap tig welded, recontoured, and have a dovetail cut for a rear sight. Shouldn't cost too much.