This Forum vs other Forums

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
This Forum is the first Forum I ever joined. Long ago.
I was impressed by the good folks,,, the friendly attitudes,, the joking between members,, (anybody else remember the cow painted microbus Rugermobile,) and most of all,, the POLITE attitudes here. Combined with very helpful folks,, and the wealth of knowledge that abounded.

And as I became a little more computer savvy,, I joined a another Forum,, the cast boolit forum,,, because I enjoy casting. It too is pretty good overall,, and again,, it felt ok to enjoy that one.

And I also found another Forum that is a lot like us here,, and it too is kept polite, with a wealth of knowledge, and run like a smooth clock.

All of these are due to members who self police,, and RESPECT each other,, and understand that the PUBLIC can see things.

And recently,, I saw a posting about a more local gun Forum,,, that it was mentioned I should join. So,, on a members advice,, I did.

Well, sadly,, that place is NOWHERE near the quality as these other places.
Obscene language, pictures you wouldn't show to your kids, vicious verbal assaults on other members, ridicule for honest questions, and attitudes by many which,,,,, IN MY OPINION do NOT reflect gun owners in a good light.
That's not to say all of it is bad,, or that all the folks there are less than polite folks. But,, in contrast,, I can attest to the obvious differences. The use of words that as the saying goes; "Sounds like a sailor at sea" or pictures of things,, that would NEVER be allowed here. One pic that comes to mind,, is actually a short video of a girl with an umbrella, tip pointed at the camera,, and as she opens the umbrella,, it has a large picture of a birdy finger pointing at the camera.

All this is just a way for me to vent a bit about the very poor attitude by many out there,, AND they own guns. And it's also a way to express my sincere THANKS at the fine folks here who are obviously more mature,, and have a much better attitude than what I've witnessed over these past few weeks looking at the other Forum.

gunman42782

Hunter
This was the first forum I joined too, and the reason I bought a computer! Mike (Hawkeye) turned me on to this forum, and I will say it is the best one I belong to.

I too agree. I visit other forums but always return to this one. One I visit only because it has a Second Amendment section that concerns local issues and another section on local gun shows. The attitudes and language there in the other sections leaves much to be desired. Though we may disagree here it is normally done politely.

contender said:
...ridicule for honest questions...

This is my pet peeve, my first forum is(was) a huge chopper forum and the ridicule was awful when a newbie would dare to ask a question without searching the forum first. I was very lucky to have had some skill sets taught to me by some very good people and I gladly try to pass on my knowledge to anyone who asks.

vito

Hunter
I'll add my praise and appreciation for this Forum and the good people that regularly participate. I'll add that the moderators do an excellent job keeping everything in line with decency and reasonableness without becoming overbearing "Karens". Some other forums seem to be moderated in ways that appear to be going out of the way to suspend, ban or reprimand contributors for meaningless infraction. What comes to mind when I think of some of the forums to which I no longer go to was when I was banned for life in 2016 for what was deemed overly political comments, when I mentioned that if you value your 2nd Amendment rights you probably shouldn't vote for Hilary.

I know what you mean about the foul language. Sometimes when I need information about another gun, like a CZ or Smith and Wesson, I might look at different gun forums. I can’t stand the way members talk to each other. For example, I recently put together the parts for an AR, and had to look up Bravo Manufacturing Company parts, on some various AR forums, they use really terrible language.

The worst part is, you are correct Contender, those people are also gun owners and they give all of us a bad name. Especially high profile guns like an AR rifle, which has a generally bad reputation among the general public.

Paul B

Buckeye
I participate in several forms, some like this one are polite and laid back and some, well to be kind, not so much. There's even a few gun and reloading forums on Facebook that I'm in and a couple of those get down and out nasty. It's a good thing I'm somewhat thick skinned. When some idiot gets nasty I try to gently reason with him/her. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I just consider the source.
Paul B.

Many years ago when I got on Gun Forums I was on a couple other ones and someone on one of those mentioned winning a Karma on some place called Rugerforum.com... and so I came here.... I ended up dropping out of the others and this was the one forum I visited for years... then I got into a different brand of gun and found a forum that is at least on the face of it dedicated to that brand.... I'm still there but have been almost booted out several times.... once for criticizing the language on that forum and another time for saying something negative about Glocks... it is not a Glock forum.... seems you can criticize the brand the forum has in its name all day long but say something derogatory about a Glock and you are evil incarnate.

I've always found the folks here stand up people.

contender

Ruger Guru
I knew I'd get a lot of y'all agreeing with me.

Yes,, even this place has had a few "hi-cups" from time to time,, but NOTHING like what I've seen on a few other places.

Here... I've personally met many fine folks. That other gun forum,, I'm not sure there are too many there I'd want to meet.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
AMEN CONTENDER.....This forum is the best in my opinion....

It's a place where you can ask perhaps a 'newbie' (dare I say dumb) question, and most often get a respectful answer without being talked down to. Who was it that said:"if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"...? Oh, that was our parents... :)

GREAT BUNCH here..... and 'me too', it was "Mike" who point me here quite a few years ago.....

J.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The only problem I see with the forum is that it isn't reaching new members or breaking new ground the way it used to.

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
I pop in from time to time and have always thought this was a great site.
The language on other sites is usually uncalled for and just shows how unintelligent the members that use that language can be.
Unfortunately, words that would have gotten your mouth washed out with soap when most of us were kids, is now normal in conversation.
Keep up the work guys and gals.

314Chevy

Single-Sixer
There are several reasons I like this forum: I can trust the help others give, there is little to no disrespect even though we may have different opinions, we all seem to be hard working honest people. One other reason, 6 years ago my son decided to become a Marine rather than go to college, to say the least I was worried. The comments that I received here helped allay my fears and made me respect all of you.
Thanks you all for years of great advice, funny jokes and more help than you know.

44RED

Bearcat
Best forum I ever joined. The folks here are amazing. I have received a lot of good advice and help. It's a comfortable place to be.... That can't be said by a lot of things these days...

On another gun forum I was given a "time out" (couldn't post for 'x' number of days) because I had posted a question in the 'wrong section'. Needless to say, years later, I am still "time out" in that forum. Here if something is posted in the wrong place a mod will simple move it.

don44

Hunter
WendyZXZ said:
I have been here for 12 years and always return so I love quality of the members here. There is a feeling of good sense, good taste and decorum to be found here!
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Latest posts