Thinking of getting a P345

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blindjim

Bearcat
I got one a year or two ago as my first automatic pistol ever. My first handgun in 30 years!

Now I have a Ruger SR 40 C on order and should have it this week sometime.

I have to admit the 345 is a reliable gun. I've had only one round hang up on me failing to eject. That was in my first 25 rounds or so. Thereafter, none failed in any way! It eats everything! If it were lighter, I'd use it to carry concealed.

Either the P90 or P95 mags fit it so aftermarket mags with greater capacity aren't too hard to come by. I have two 10 round Pro Mags and have never hav one issue with them feeding at all. Also, Hoage makes a slip on grip for the 345 which might help firm up the hold. Soap it up and slip it on… the if you don't care for it, it will slip right off again…. No soap and it's a real bear to put on & off.

Mine has been sitting in the case for months now as I bought an FNH FNP45 Tactical earlier this year and do like it better… but then those two guns are a good bit different and their individual cost are separated by a larger divide. On the FNP45T.NIB, I paid $1100 OUT THE DOOR. SOME JOINTS WERE SELLING IT FOR AS MUCH AS $1375!! Whew! Now the new vewrsion is an FNX. Hardly any changes were made besides the model number change.

If you can get a P345 reasonably, pre-owned, let's say, then I'd probably get one. $300 -/+ . Otherwise I'd look into a standard FNP 45 non tactical.. Albeit, the feel in the hand of these two is quite different. The 345 feels great… at first despite my pinky barely able to hand onto the grip. The FNP45 feels more aggressive and big, but as time goes by, the FNP45 hand was easier to get used to, and having 16 rounds vs. 9 is a big deal all initself. The FNP45 take down is way easier too.

Oneother downside to the P345 as I've found out recently, it is what it is. Don't get too happy thinking about altering it's trigger too much. Sure, it can have it's hammer resprung, and it's guide rod sring too. But reducing trigger travel ain't gonna happen and it does have a fair amount. SA is OK, But DA is really long, but do-able. Pulling the hammer back to put it into SA isn't too difficult provided you have the dexterity to do so.

Naturally, the FNH guns cost more so they fit a different set of needs normally.

If I had it to do all over again, and had to have a .45ACP pistol for every need, I think I'd consider a compact 1911 instead of the P345 or the FNP45. That is IF I was aiming to get only ONE 45 CAL. PISTOL, for everything..

For a night stand or glove compartment gun, the P345 sure ain't a poor bet. Especially, considering what you can get a used one for these days. I'd not buy one new like I did with mine though. Spend $300 or so, not the $525 NIB w/SS slide, like I did with mine.

Or, given the introduction now of the new Ruger SR series, the SR 1911, if it has to be a Ruger .45, or if not… one of the newer SR compacts. They have a rail too… and why I bought one myself! I did try for a SR 9C to be real honest about it though, but supply was gone on them unless I wanted one with a SS slide. So, a 40C in all black got picked instead.

300 rounds or so later on the KP 345, and mine is back in it's box, these past few months. I guess that says something too… about me or about it one, as I've bought another .45, and now a different semi in .40SW though still, a Ruger. I can't seem to get away from Ruger!@ I keep trying, and Ruger keeps pulling me back in!

If they had not reqorked their triggers on this new line up of sR compacts, I'd not have bought any of them. The trigger IMHO is extremely important.

I don't know what I'll do if or when SW decides to put a rail onto its new M&P Shield, or makes it into a .45ACP!.

Good luck, and do have fun!!

Sinkhole

Bearcat
blindjim said:
If they had not reworked their triggers on this new line up of sR compacts, I'd not have bought any of them. The trigger IMHO is extremely important.

I don't know what I'll do if or when SW decides to put a rail onto its new M&P Shield, or makes it into a .45ACP!.

Good luck, and do have fun!!

IMO the FNH FNS-9 & FNS-40 have the best stock triggers of ANY sticker fired gun made to date. They are currently only available in a fullsize but the compact versions listed on their web site are supposed to out by years end. As for S&W, you can always go M&P 9c, 40c or 45c they have a rail and are very close in size to the SR9c/SR40c. But I don't see the practicality of a rail on a compact CCW style gun. Adding a light or something of that nature to the Shield would destroy it's concealability. I have no problem hanging my TLR-3 under my M&P45 but wouldn't think of putting on my SR9c. Just my 2¢.

blindjim

Bearcat
My needs are a bit different than most. I'm very hard of seeing of late. I support the idea of training with a light or laser, A LOT! then carrying sans lights or lasers. however... with the right OTB holster, even the compact series could be carried with a laser. I sort of think the need for a laser in 95% of violent encounters will be within 6ft or less. They ordinarily don't try to rob you from long distance.

Additionally, for inside the home, or around the homestead, having the aid of a tuned in laser seems to me to be a real plus. Although I can not imagine anyone opening my BR door and me not knowing someone was in the house already.. but if so, then we're back to the point and shoot scenario mentioned above.

So, IMO, it's a plus if all else is equal when considering several arms options. In fact, at home, just a light might well be very helpful, as my TLR-1 at only 170 lumens, in the dead of darkness, is remarkably intense when first fired up... and it's a one handed operation on my KP 345 or on my FNP 45t, for that matter.

So in all, it's a plus and fun at the range, having a rail mounted laser... it helps too with balance on some pistols.

whatever advantage one can achieve, then by all means acquire it... even if it's hanging on and not engaged. Sort of like ammo... better to have and not need than to need and not have. Again, all of this is from my perspective and likely will not apply to the majority of folks.

Enjoy... feel safe... and have fun with it.

Nevada

Single-Sixer
I didn't play with the one at the store long enough. Too excited about getting a new gun. The only triggers worse than the P345 are the COP derringer and Nagant revolver, in the DA mode. My first shot is always a throw away shot unless I cock the hammer first. I also had the problem of powder blowing back in my face untill I got a stronger recoil spring. It must have been Friday when they made the mags, I could only get six rounds in them. Ruger replaced the mags which work perfectly. It is a beautiful gun and obviously many people like them and how they operate. Mine went for a trade-in. I am still considering an SR9c for home because a light can be put on it. But not untill I try one out. MY P95 - 1st year production - has an OK trigger and the first shot - DA - is good. That stays forever. Bought a COMPLETE set of springs from Ruger for it about two tears ago. Enjoy what you get.

Latest posts