Sr-9 Rough Cycling likely cause of barrel peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Did your SR9 have a hard clunk when cycling the slide.

• Yes and it peened the barrel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes hard clunk and it did not peen the barrel

• No clunk when cycling and it peened the barrel

• no clunk when cycling and it did not peen the barrel

• Total voters

Guppy

Bearcat
Yesterday I bough an Sr9 and Sr9C.

My old SR9 and SR9C slides cycle smoothly. I did take a couple of hundred hand cyclings of the SR9 before the slide and barrel unlock were semi smooth........ Still hard but smoother.

My new SR9 has a definate hard clunk the casues the slide to want to stop when cycling. Looking at the way the parts interplay my observation is:

The barrel lug/cam that contacts the cam in the locking block is hitting the cam edge to edge and locking the barrel for a moment before it slips under the cam to pull the barrel down...... At speed IE firing a round the amount of force transferred is likely to be great. The slide and barrel would come travelling back and whack the lug of the barrel would contact the cam....... They would lock for a micro second then the barrel would ride down the cam to unlock.

Anybody wanna bet on whether or not this would cause barrel peening?????

I am going to polish the edges of the barrel lug/cam and the locking block
and see if I can get this process smooth.

Scott

Single-Sixer
YES! If I'm understanding you correctly, mine did have that "clunk", and it's getting less now (300rounds as of 10 minutes ago). I'm seeing the barrel wearing a very small "smooth" area, but no true peening as the pictues here have shown. Maybe I've got the wrong parts' names, but it looks to me like it's the barrel cam/lug hitting on the slide itself when very first pulling the slide back. That's where the wearing is taking place, making more of a ramp so the slide can come back easier.

Scott

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the thread, Armedin; Those pics look just like where mine could use some polishing. I really think mine is smoothing out some, hope will be even more after some more rounds & some polishing.

Talegunner

Bearcat
There is defiantly something to this theory! I bought the SR9C first,my local shop had not even put it on the shelf yet(1-22)I later got the SR9 at a gun show. The full sized pistol had a rough catch to it when cycling so before even firring I tried the polishing on the slide as shown in other post(see pic from other post below) & to a lesser degree the front of barrel.........It REALLY smoothed out & I'm proud to say after spending the morning shooting in my back yard zero failures & zero signs of the dreaded peening.This was using ammo that had been stored since Bill Clinton was in office.............S&B FMJ.....All brass was thrown to my right about ten feet away........I think what all this boils down to is at time of manufacture this design could use a little "hand fitting"...............Something Ruger(and most other makers)is simply not going to take the time to do as time is money!................TG

FTEfix2.jpg
[/img]