9 mm Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
I find an affordable and reliable brand of Ball ammo that my guns all function well with, and then buy it in the same bullet weight that I use for carry. That way it at least shoots pretty close to the same point of impact. I have found that current production Winchester 'white box' ammo is generally pretty poor stuff - burns dirty, and seems to have varying powder charges in it. You get the BANG, BANG, BANG, POP, BANG, bang, POP, BOOM!

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
i know that Winchester "white box" is dirty ammo, but to me, it is "cleaner" than Magtec.

i also clean and lube my guns, after every range visit, so dirty ammo is no big deal

i go with pricing, and availability at the time of purchase.

my choices are like this for plinking ammo

1) Fiocchi

2) S&B

3) Federal

4) Norma

5) Remington

6) Blazer

7) Browning

8) Winchester white or green box

9) Magtec

all brass casings, as i reload

for Self defense...Federal HST 147 gr.

not all my guns, shoot all these brands, however, as some are "finicky eaters"

that's why i have a "selection" of ammo in my stock.

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
Two good sources to find ammo online are SG Ammo and Ammoseek.com.
and there are others...i'll check my list shortly............but one thing for anyone especially a new shooter to know...

depending on what state YOU live in............many states do not allow online sales unless one can prove he/she is a legal gun owner.

you either have to download a FOID card, CCW permit ID, or other form of YOUR state's legal gun ownership proof.

my state (RI) we are issued a "Blue Card" to prove that we read the state gun safety manual, (then take a written test, that goes to the state for grading and either issuing a Blue Card, or denying one) and then can legally buy guns/ammo.

so i had to download that to TargetSportsUSA, then they keep that on file, for future purchases.

but i also have a CCW if they wanted that as well.....

Last edited:

Enigma

Hunter
i know that Winchester "white box" is dirty ammo, but to me, it is "cleaner" than Magtec.

i also clean and lube my guns, after every range visit, so dirty ammo is no big deal

i go with pricing, and availability at the time of purchase.

that's why i have a "selection" of ammo in my stock.
I'm more concerned about the sometimes widely varying powder charges in WWB ammo than I am the lack of cleanliness. Speaking of dirty ammo, did you ever shoot any of the old Wolf steel-case stuff when they first began importing it? That stuff was funky, at least the .45 ACP that I sampled. Smelled bad, too.

I bought some Belom124 grain NATO FMJ that works really good in all my 9mm pistols. I think that it's from Serbia or Bosnia. All brass reloadable cases and high quality.

Attachments

• IMG_20220217_183008461.jpg
    IMG_20220217_183008461.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 27

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
I'm more concerned about the sometimes widely varying powder charges in WWB ammo than I am the lack of cleanliness. Speaking of dirty ammo, did you ever shoot any of the old Wolf steel-case stuff when they first began importing it? That stuff was funky, at least the .45 ACP that I sampled. Smelled bad, too.
yes, but just 9mm was what i'd buy, and i stopped.

my one (at the time) CZ 9mm would not chamber it, let alone shoot it.

in short time, the price went as high as brass ammo.

All of the above.
I've not found a large variation in POI(point of impact) between FMJ 'practice' ammo and JHP SD ammo as long as the bullet weight and velocities are similar.
Significant difference in bullet weight/velocity can cause vertical changes in POI due to more/less recoil.

ALK08

Bearcat
For range ammo, I like Fiocchi and SIG FMJs.

For defense ammo in 9mm, I like Federal HSTs in 124gr.

You can find some really detailed ammo tests/comparisons online if you want to see specifics of velocity, penetration, expansion, etc

My standard for acceptability of SD handgun accuracy is the 8" plate @ 12-15 yards. That 2x the range of the normal 7 yards on a silhouette target from an unsupported two hand 'combat stance'. Using a rest I want to see shots clustered close to POA @ 25 yards.
As long as my 'practice' ammo stays fairly close to my SD ammo at the shorter range, I'm satisfied.

There's plenty of inexpensive JHP rounds available that will get the job done for the same price as FMJ. They may not be the Blazing Buzzsaws of Death some of the premium rounds are but will expand and deliver energy to a threat better than FMJ.

Latest posts