9 mm Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I load these for about $.75 each.
And what are 'these'? I cannot tell from your pics. Also, I try very hard to keep the ammo I buy below $.75/rd, although when I buy the higher powered handgun ammo for my calibers, such as from Buffalo Bore, it can easily go up to $1 -$2.50/rd, which I only buy in very, very limited quantity.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
My ammo supplier is pretty much Georgia Arms.... their 9mm bulk that comes loose in an ammo can can't be beat. But I usually contact them a week before the gun show here and preorder... saves a bit since there is no shipping but cost me time and parking and an entrance fee..... they are back up and running after having a fire from a lightning strike last year.
Where are you located in order to get Georgia Arms ammo directly without any shipping costs? I have ordered ammo from them online (I am in AZ) in the non recent past, and their prices were reasonably good back then, but they kind of disappeared due to COVID. I am getting email ads from them every once in a while now (probably since I had ordered from them in the past), so it appears that they are back in the ammo business again, but their pricing is not particularly good anymore.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I'm happy using cast, plated OR jacketed bullets loaded in range brass for practise ammo. I've figured out that I can keep the cost down if I take my time & watch for deals, at local gun shops, gun shows, and auction sites. I can still load 9mm for about $8 a box - historically (before the China virus) it was more like 5 to 10 cents a round, but I'm not complaining. If you're willing to be flexible when it comes to components, it's easier to keep the cost down - not everyone wants to do that, but it works for me.

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc.
:)
It is not too clear what a 'box' is to you, but if it is 50 rounds, than that means it is costing you $.16/rd, which I find rather hard to believe with today's escalated pricing for just about everything. Unless you are getting your casings for free, I would guess that the casing and bullet costs alone would come to $.16/rd. So, can you elaborate? Also, I assume you are talking about 9mm ammo?

And what are 'these'? I cannot tell from your pics. Also, I try very hard to keep the ammo I buy below $.75/rd, although when I buy the higher powered handgun ammo for my calibers, such as from Buffalo Bore, it can easily go up to $1 -$2.50/rd, which I only buy in very, very limited quantity.
Lehigh XP's that come out of most of my 9mm pistols around 1,500fps. The do 2,100-2,300fps in my 357 Sig's.

Star43

Blackhawk
Lehigh XP's that come out of most of my 9mm pistols around 1,500fps. The do 2,100-2,300fps in my 357 Sig's.
Wow, that is moving....you probably are not shooting these every day I would think ?? Just wondering if a lot of use of this is good for the gun. It's your gun so you would know a lot more than me about that, but just wondering ?? 🙂

Wow, that is moving....you probably are not shooting these every day I would think ?? Just wondering if a lot of use of this is good for the gun. It's your gun so you would know a lot more than me about that, but just wondering ?? 🙂
I let a few fly every month or so to verify zero etc. they're 90gr so not really even full +P.

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Ain't that the truth. For an everyday type of round 38 Special has always been high in stores...That is why I shoot so much more 9MM. Cost factor.
.38 Special and other revolver cartridges use considerably more brass than their semi-auto counterparts. That's why I prefer revolvers that shoot 9mm and .45acp.

Enigma

Hunter
I would like to know where these ammo test are online. So far, I have only found such 'tests' on You Tube, and most of these are very biased and offer extremely limited testing - they choose a specific ammo and compare it to a different caliber, which really tells you very little since in the case of popular calibers there is a huge range of ammo offered due to such things as different power levels and bullet types within that caliber.

So, do you have some online links to offer that gives the info you mention?

Check out LuckyGunner.com; they did a series of pretty extensive ammo tests with ballistic gelatin a couple of years ago, and have all the results posted on their website.

THE CHEAPEST 9mm Ball ammo that I have seen recently is coming from Turkey. I was looking at Turan brand ammo online yesterday, and it was running around 23-24 cents a round. It had been advertised for 15-16 cents a round, but went fast! No personal experience. Brass case, Boxer-primed. Note that they do offer both 9mm NATO and 9mm Luger; the NATO ammo is loaded to a higher pressure and velocity than 9mm Luger. Same with 5.56X45 and .223; they offer both NATO loads and .223 Rem loads. I believe that I would start out with a couple hundred rounds and see how it performed in various guns before I ordered 1K or more.

On ANY of these online dealers, be certain to price shipping and HAZMAT before you click on 'Buy Now!'

Last edited:
Some how saw an email from a local store last week they had 9mm 115gr fmj Sellier and Bellot on sale for something like 11.73 a box.... and I happened to be headed to a job and would be passing the store at just after 9:00. So, I chose to go in and was going to buy 5 boxes then broke down and got 10.. As I was leaving the clerk let me know the sale was ending at 10:30 and they really didn't open until 10:00 but the door was unlocked for the crew working on the firing range.....

Latest posts