Sp101 and getting wet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rhatimi

Bearcat
I know this is a bit off topic, but I always wondered if the LCR would be perfect in this role since it has a polymer gripframe, therefore no rust issues. Just something to think about.

harrydog

Bearcat
Sgtwillys said:
WOW
Those are ideas I would have never thought of.

I also have a S&W 642 that I would like to take to the stream but will take the SP for this reason. If I dunk it, it takes me 3 minutes to have it apart then get it dry. This just isn't going to happen with a S&W. plus, it's a .357.

I enjoy the SP so much I find myself carrying it more than my Glock 27. OMG, how can that be!!

I still worry about the 5 rounds cap vs 9-10. But that is an entire different ball of wax.

Thanks
The nice thing about treating the gun with Eezox is that if it does take a dunking, there would be no need to take it apart and dry it. Just continue fishing and enjoy the day. I'm surprised no one here uses it.

Gelder

Bearcat
Sgtwillys

Fortunately the SPs and GP are very easy to field strip, if you have a good grade of lubricant some of the teflon lubricants are very good. If you have kept the lock works of your gun well lubricated, a dunking will probably not make the slightest difference.

Hugh

What class boats??

Gelder

Bearcat
pisgah

WD is convenient, but if you get enough of it where it should not be it will cause primer deterioration. I managed on one occasion to get s build up in the firing pin hole in my 1911, it ran down onto the chambered round an caused primer failure.

The caveat that goes along with this story is that these were reloads, and that most commercial ammo has a sealant on the primers that would have kept this from happening.

"Finegles Rule" applies if something bad can happen then it will...

WD is convenient, but not the best choice.

pisgah

Buckeye
>WD is convenient, but if you get enough of it where it should not be it will cause primer deterioration

It should go without saying, but just in case -- never spray ANY oil, WD40 or otherwise, on/in a loaded gun. Thin oils can migrate in to primers and/or powder and kill a load. After a dunking, ammo should be removed and dried off, the gun sprayed and then wiped down, outside and inside the bore/chambers. The real possibility of this happening with properly assembled ammo is small, but exists nonetheless.

Hugh

Buckeye
Gelder said:
Sgtwillys

Fortunately the SPs and GP are very easy to field strip, if you have a good grade of lubricant some of the teflon lubricants are very good. If you have kept the lock works of your gun well lubricated, a dunking will probably not make the slightest difference.

Hugh

What class boats??

Hi Gelder,

USS SCULPIN (SSN 590) - SKIPJACK Class Attack Submarine
USS DRUM (SSN 677) - STURGEON Class Attack Submarine

Pa said:
Take along some 90% isopropyl alcohol. It's a lot less toxic & cheaper than brake/parts cleaner. If your pistol gets wet, just dunk it, unloaded, & let dry. The IA absorbs the water & evaporates quickly. Use your normal lube when dry.
I agree whole heartedly, may need to remove the rubber grips (I don't think alcohol is friendly to them?). I think a lanyard on the gun could be beneficial as well for retention. I used to take a Iver Johnson TP-22 fishing(blued semi-auto walther design). I carried it in a uncle mikes nylon holster with a nylon string attached to the pistol. Never lost it. Did go in the drink with it many times. Didn't worry with it til I got home. Yep I doused it with alcohol, and then wiped it down with WD-40. She still functions just fine, and no rust. I have a SP-101 with the 3 inch barrel and use a similar set up for it when woods bumming in the lower 48. Good luck and enjoy it.
gramps

Knuckles

Buckeye
I'd unload... shake it... blow on the internals as best as I could... wipe the ammo dry... reload and go back to fishing.

You could put it in a water-proof container of some kind :wink:

Bud (knuckles)

Chukar hunter

Bearcat
I'm also looking forward to using my newly acquired 2-1/4 " SP 101 for carry on trout streams and backpacking. I wade a lot so I'm getting a Grizzly Tuff holster rig for mine. It'll hold a bit of extra ammo also. I knew a guy that used to take the grips off of his SS speed six after going to the range, and put it in the dishwasher to clean it, he'd dry and lube it afterwards.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I had a retired gunsmith who worked in Seattle Wa. tell me that after every weekend during waterfowl season he'd have throng of bird hunters bring their gummed up shotguns in to him and there would be nothing more wrong than they were gummed up by WD 40!

If I dunked a gun ........ and all I had was WD ..... I'd use it and then plan on getting gunscrubber after it and revert back to my tried and true products after I got home.

Three 44s

I have been shooting for 50 of my 60 years. Used WD-40 all that time. Only one problem with one gun that may or not have been WD-40 related. That is a pretty good track record. Very little else in life is that dependable.
gramps

pisgah

Buckeye
>I had a retired gunsmith who worked in Seattle Wa. tell me that after every weekend during waterfowl season he'd have throng of bird hunters bring their gummed up shotguns in to him and there would be nothing more wrong than they were gummed up by WD 40!

I have dealt with only two professional so-called gunsmiths in my life. One assured me that the sight-mounting holes he drilled all the way through the top rifle's barrel in to the bore were "the way it's done". The other told me that the front scope-mount holes he had drilled in the receiver that were 1/4" out of line with the rear mounting holes had to be done that way "so everything will line up right once the scope's mounted".

Not to besmirch all gunsmiths, but not everyone who calls himself a gunsmith knows what he is talking about.

pisgah

Buckeye
>I had a retired gunsmith who worked in Seattle Wa. tell me that after every weekend during waterfowl season he'd have throng of bird hunters bring their gummed up shotguns in to him and there would be nothing more wrong than they were gummed up by WD 40!

I have dealt with only two professional so-called gunsmiths in my life. One assured me that the sight-mounting holes he drilled all the way through the top rifle's barrel in to the bore were "the way it's done". The other told me that the front scope-mount holes he had drilled in the receiver that were 1/4" out of line with the rear mounting holes had to be done that way "so everything will line up right once the scope's mounted".

Not to besmirch all gunsmiths, but not everyone who calls himself a gunsmith knows what he is talking about.

Sgtwillys

Bearcat
I think keeping it oiled and a bottle of alcohol will keep me going for now.

All my fishing will be in shallow streams and I not sure if I really need a lanyard of some type, it it wouldn't hurt

Thanks