Some exciting weather

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
We just spent some time in our tornado shelter, as one slowly passed 2-3 miles north of us. I got the wife and dogs into the shelter, then spent some time watching the monster. It started out as a thick column, slowly changed to a funnel, then a rope, then dissipated. I even got a few shots with my flip-phone---the first I've taken since getting the thing two years ago. This was an unusual tornado, as the storm cell travelled in a SSW direction. They usually come from the SW and travel to the NE.

Cholo

Staff member
That is an odd direction for a tornado. Hope no one got hurt. There was a tornado watch or warning just south of me last night, but nothing became of it. The lightening show was incredible!

We were supposed to get Severe weather last evening/night. Nothing happened. Just like the global warming stuff. It can't be predicted with any accuracy! I am glad you and yours were safe.
gramps

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Thankfully you are all OK. Having been in one and have the house trailer I was living in at the time (TDY at Ft Rucker Alabama) turned on it's side I have a healthy respect for them. I, and my roommate, were OK but one lady was killed. They are truly scarey.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Glad you guys are safe. I haven't ever been around those, so don't really think about them much. Just know when they do hit it's pretty bad. Don't think I'd want to live in areas that have them. Stay safe out there.

Bear Paw Jack said:
Glad you guys are safe. I haven't ever been around those, so don't really think about them much. Just know when they do hit it's pretty bad. Don't think I'd want to live in areas that have them. Stay safe out there.
I guess ya pick and choose what you feel is most likely to get you. In Alaska there were volcanoes and bear, plus the cold. Now you have volcanoes (a really big one), and cold. :wink: :mrgreen:
gramps

opos

Buckeye
About time for us to register a 6.7 just to get our attention..I lived where there were tornadoes and folks sort of took it for granted and went on about life...I was looking over my shoulder all the time....when folks from tornado country come out here and we have a little "shaker" they are running for cover or cancelling vacations...we just figure it shook the dust off the orange trees...I guess it is all about what you live with.

SAJohn

Hunter
Why do tornadoes love trailers?

Actually we do have tornadoes here in Oregon. I saw one while golfing a few years ago. They are mostly F-0, a few F-1's and only one recorded F-2. Our thunder storms have much higher winds. One time I got caught out the open in 100+ storm winds, you cannot stand up at that velocity (at 120 you will go airborne if standing). About 50 miles south of me a jet stream once reached the ground. It tore trees apart.

Robes

Single-Sixer
Had one touch down on the south side of the county. I slept right through it. Knew something came through when I went out to the barn. I have about a weeks worth of work with the chain saw ahead of me. Two big trees came down and for my friends who heat with wood....BONUS!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
opos said:
when folks from tornado country come out here and we have a little "shaker" they are running for cover or cancelling vacations...we just figure it shook the dust off the orange trees...I guess it is all about what you live with.

Hi,

Opos, do you remember the "Happy Cows" cheese ad campaign, and the one with the earthquake? "Mmm, foot massage!"

Much of my family was from Wichita, KS, and a cousin lived in Hutchinson where toysoldier is, but they were all out here by 1960. The stories they told of tornado damage back there made me think earthquakes are no big deal. That said, I've got some pictures of the San Andreas, which passes within 2-3 miles of me, that might cause one to think twice, though! Still, I think tornadoes are worse...

Rick C

Latest posts