Snake loads in 45 colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zacharoo

Bearcat
I am thinking about loading speer capsules with 9 shot with 12 shot mixed in . Has anyone tried this for snakes. Seams that the 12 shot should fill the gaps in the capsules. I have 6 '71/2 and 9 shot also has anyone tried this???
Zacharoo

sixshot

Buckeye
I make my 45 shot loads with 4 grs of Bullseye, a card wad cut with a sharpened 45 ACP case. The card wad is cut out of a used primer box, then as much #12 shot as it takes to almost fill the case, can't remember the exact amount & then a plastic wad cut with the same ACP case using a lid off of a coffee creamer carton & a light crimp. Works great! Going up in powder charge doesn't help, it just spreads the pattern, also a short barrel usually works better than a longer barrel. Ground Squirrels hate it when its loaded with 7 1/2 shot, and it also works on grouse.

Dick

DGW1949

Hunter
zacharoo said:
I am thinking about loading speer capsules with 9 shot with 12 shot mixed in . Has anyone tried this for snakes. Seams that the 12 shot should fill the gaps in the capsules. I have 6 '71/2 and 9 shot also has anyone tried this???
Zacharoo

I haven't used the capsules. Mine are assembled almost the same as Sixshot described, the main difference being that I use Unique powder, .444 Marlin cases which are cut-down to fit the cylinder length of my particular revolver, and #7-1/2 or #6 shot depending on which I happen to gave handy at the time.
Aint sayin' that my way is better.....just sayin' that it works for me.

Hope this helped.

DGW

Bucks Owin

Hunter
CCI uses #9 and they are excellent snake loads. So much so that for the amount of them I use, I gave up fooling around with homebrewed handgun shotshells...(Although it IS a pleasant passtime)

Just sayin'....

okie44

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
zacharoo said:
Zacharoo

I haven't used the capsules. Mine are assembled almost the same as Sixshot described, the main difference being that I use Unique powder, .444 Marlin cases which are cut-down to fit the cylinder length of my particular revolver, and #7-1/2 or #6 shot depending on which I happen to gave handy at the time.
Aint sayin' that my way is better.....just sayin' that it works for me.

Hope this helped.

DGW

I use 444 brass cut down, run in a 44 Mag sizer die to set the shoulder for use in the 45 ACP cylinder.
image.jpg3_zpsqrzcg4tr.jpg

gster

Single-Sixer
I use #9 shot with the Speer capsules and they work great. I learned from an older gentleman on another forum to reduce the suggested charge by 1 grn or so and they work much better. I proved it by shooting paper at 18 to 20 feet and the pattern was much better with the reduced load. I think the blast and gasses just blow a big hole through the shot as it leaves the muzzle. I use 4.5 grns of Titegroup and 150 grns. of #9 shot.
DSCF0317.jpg
DSCF0349.jpg

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I use a couple gas checks to make mine. I seat one gas check "cup-up" over the powder and then fill with #12 shot, seat the second one "cup-down" over the shot, and apply a moderate crimp. I prefer #12 because it really creates a "cloud" of shot that ensures multiple hits to the nervous system, and instant incapacitation. I have shot a couple big diamondbacks and one behemoth cottonmouth with these loads, and it stopped the snakes better than anything I've witnessed before. Most snakes writhe and twist after death, but these just went still. The distances ranged from three yards to about seven yards.

FWIW, I have used factory Speer loads, and was less impressed with the performance of the #9 shot loads, although the 22 Mag loads performed well, and they are loaded with #12.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I use No. 12 shot in the Speer Capsules with Unique. Just happened to need it a bit over a week ago on a rattlesnake that set up shop at our cabin. One shot in the head at about three feet. Absolutely no issues. I've used larger size shot in the past but I'd definitely use No.12 if you have it as it's devastating.

The Preacher

DGW1949

Hunter
gster said:
I use #9 shot with the Speer capsules and they work great. I learned from an older gentleman on another forum to reduce the suggested charge by 1 grn or so and they work much better. I proved it by shooting paper at 18 to 20 feet and the pattern was much better with the reduced load. I think the blast and gasses just blow a big hole through the shot as it leaves the muzzle. I use 4.5 grns of Titegroup and 150 grns. of #9 shot.
DSCF0317.jpg
DSCF0349.jpg

Thanks for posting the chart.
FWIW, I agree that ya don't realy want a very hot powder charge when assembling these things. Looking at the chart, 7.5 of Unique seems to be "a bit too much". Personaly, I use an old LEE dipper that throws about 5.5 (give or take), and that has allways worked well for me regardless of the shot size I used.
On the other end of the mule...I don't know what kind or how much powder CCI uses in their factory loads but I do know that their "store bought" .45LC loads generate enough recoil that I've had the capsules jump their crimp and jam-up my revolver.

DGW

zacharoo

Bearcat
Will a brass 410 shell fit in a 45 colt cylinder???????????????If cut to length?????

DGW1949

Hunter
zacharoo said:
Will a brass 410 shell fit in a 45 colt cylinder???????????????If cut to length?????

I don't know what you mean by "brass 410 shell"....but....

I have disassembled .410 shot shells, cut the case to fit my cylinder, and (apropreately) reloaded them the same way as I would a .45LC case. That works fine, and yeah, all of my .45LC revolvers will set-off the shotgun primer......but.....do be aware that you won't be able to use as much shot because the plastic shotshell case is much thicker than a brass cartridge case...which means that it has less internal volume for X-amount of length.

In other words.....yeah you can do it, but you'll end up with an inferior product.
That make sense?

DGW

noahmercy

Blackhawk
DGW1949, Magtech makes brass shotgun hulls, and they take large pistol primers. I use the 12 gauge ones for my black powder loads.

Zacharoo, there would be no advantage to using the .410 hulls unless you left them cylinder-length and used an RCBS 45 ACP shotshell die to neck down the forward portion of the case to fit in the throats. My 45 Colt shotshell loads hold nearly as much shot as a .410 without the extra expense and work it would take to modify the .410 hulls.

zacharoo

Bearcat
By brass I mean a totally brass 410 casing . They are made by magtec in 2 1/2 length.

I've killed a bazillion, (well OK...several dozen) rattlesnakes with 9mm, 38 Spec., and .44 Special. The most recent was just last Sunday.
I have some loaded for my 45 Colts; light charge of Red Dot, over powder card, almost fill case with shot, then seat a round ball, but never seem to have one of the 45's with me when I see a rattler. Snake loads are really a lot more simple than for give them credit for. I usually load #9 shot robbed from .410 skeet loads, but have used #7 1/2 and #8 to equal effect.
There's no point in patterning snake loads at 20' as a fellow can get within 6' or so of a venomous snake with no danger to himself.

44RED

Bearcat
I have loaded and shot a fair amount of shot loads in my days.

I really like the .444 case ideas and the .410 shell ideas as well as as the gas checks too.

I wind up using Speer cases cause I inherited a supply of them years ago.

My story goes like this: Do not push them too fast. They seem to work better at a lower speed. I have 12, 9, 8, 7.5 and 6 shot. I found 12 will dust the earth and kill but you better watch one thing and that's bounce back. I got a ricochet one day that could have got my eye. I went to 9 shot after that.

YMMV.... :)

zacharoo

Bearcat
Down to last of the 45 and 357 the #12 works best. Anyone know where they have some speer shot capsules. Have to get at least 6 of each for archery season. Got some #12 shot but need a few more capsules.
Zacharoo

Latest posts