Single Six .32 H&R?s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gotcha

Bearcat
New member here, Ok talk me into a new single six chambered in .32H&R
it is a vaquero style Birdshead case colored with I think a 4-5/8s barrel.
pros and cons. Oh I will Load for it so ammunition may not be a problem
Thanks
Carl

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
I dont have one myself. But others on this forum have raised them to mythical status. I don't (or haven't yet) see the attraction other than the uniqueness. I suspect that shooting a centerfire cartridge through a rimfire revolver has something to do with it.

I haven't yet seen a Ruger I didn't like though. Go for it.

If you are really interested, Davidson's Gallery of Guns has them on-sale for the low $400 range.

Dave

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
The .32 magnum is a handloaders cartridge. An excellent small game and target/plinking cartridge. The Single-Six Rugers as well as the SP 101's chambered for the small magnum are excellent guns. The Birdshead single six is a great little gun. I have 2 of the stainless models and have really enjoyed shooting them.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I have three of them. All with adjustable sights. I think they are a lot of fun to shoot.

Handloads, of course.

Carl,
Welcome to Ruger Forum.
flatgate (also a Carl)

gotcha

Bearcat
Thank you all for the positive feedback, A fixed sighted(Vaquero) single six .22 just got a bit more elusive, That is what I have been watching the local shops for. When I came across the 32H&R
Thanks again
Carl

G2

Hunter
Great Guns and a picture is 1000 words ...
3ruger32s.jpg

No Vaquero it the herd, but a buddy has one in stainless and it's fun too.

Welcome

gak

Buckeye
I've owned them in adjustable sight format from the get-go (1984) and then several Vaqueritos like you have (and in plowhandle form). Most fun gun to shoot I've owned, among a gaggle of .22s, 38s, .357s, .40s and .44s. Really fills that rather large gap between the .22s and .38-class--and matches moderate loads of the latter in most ballistic measurements.

I'll be the different one and say it's a gas "even" with factory loads, and especially Georgia Arms' 100 grainers...It's got plenty of pop and definitely lets you know it ain't no .22__anything--without beating you up like even lightweight .38s can after awhile. Handloading just improves on an already good thing. With the advent of the .327, if Ruger doesn't beat me to it, one of mine is destined for a conversion at some point. THAT will really be the best of all worlds.
In short, go for it..."especially" if you reload as you (and others) are suggesting.

ar15ed

Single-Sixer
good grief! i love them! i have a pair of the blue/cc ones that i haven't shot, and one of the modern release stainless ones that i take with me every time i go to the range. all three are the birdshead vaquerito style. it is a wonderful little cartridge, but you definitely need to reload for it. finding factory stuff (or even brass) has been really spotty for the last year or so. i usually use unique, and whatever projectiles i can find scrounging around gun shows and shops. i recently found a cache of old stock sierra 85 gr jacketed hollowpoints (for 12.00 a box!) that i have been shooting lately.

i have a 4 5/8 45colt new vaquero that i used to always take to the range, no matter what i was shooting, but the little 32 has taken its place!
vaquerito1.jpg

gotcha

Bearcat
there is an awful lot of nice looking 32s showing up
well I have a couple hundered pcs of starline brass which I just sourced from a local shop, Ill pick them up tomorrow,
carl

Dale53

Blackhawk
I am a .32 H&R fan. Frankly, I use more .32 S&W long cases than I do H&R cases. Most of my use is target loads and edible small game. The S&W Long handles that job just fine.

I no longer have a Single Six but have a SP 101 (4") with a Red Dot, an S&W 631 (4" kit gun) and an S&W Model 16-4 with 6" barrel.

They all shoot quite well and are also good in the field.

Dale53

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Well, from a fellow Tarheel who owns 4-5 of them, and who enjoys the 2 I shoot,, and who relods for them,, I'd say,, not to buy it & tell me where it is so I can rescue you from such a harrowing decision.
Seriously,, they are quite pleasant,, and if you wish,, make good small game handguns!

maxpress

Buckeye
a .22 size revolver that shoots a .38 power cartridge? whats not to like?
i really messed up not picking up at least one when they were common as squirrel turds.
now if they would just do the same thing with the .327 then you could shoot .32 s&w, .32hr and 327. that should cover the gambit for trailguns. as long as your not in bigbear country.

32magfan

Blackhawk
Just buy the thing and get hooked for life. :wink: The cartridge is easy to load for and cheap as not much powder is used on most loads. Casting your own bullets opens a whole other can of worms, but is rewarding in its own right.

I don't have any of the Vaquero-styled guns or birdsheads, which is not to say that I won't have any.

I say "Go for it!". What else would I say(given my handle)? 8)

32Magfan

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Glupy":1qab0bvg said:
I dont have one myself. But others on this forum have raised them to mythical status. I don't (or haven't yet) see the attraction other than the uniqueness. I suspect that shooting a centerfire cartridge through a rimfire revolver has something to do with it.

I haven't yet seen a Ruger I didn't like though. Go for it.

If you are really interested, Davidson's Gallery of Guns has them on-sale for the low $400 range.

Dave
I didn't understand the attraction either...until I bought one about 4 years ago. It's hard to explain in words, but they are a very fun gun to carry, shoot, and hunt with.

I'm headed down along the mexican border today for a while, and mine is going with me for snakes, varmints, and such. It's as small and packable as a rimfire, is more fun to shoot, and is more useful for coyote sized critters.

Daryl

gak

Buckeye
AzRebel":9p69yqa2 said:
I didn't understand the attraction either...until I bought one about 4 years ago. It's hard to explain in words, but they are a very fun gun to carry, shoot, and hunt with.

I'm headed down along the mexican border today for a while, and mine is going with me for snakes, varmints, and such. It's as small and packable as a rimfire, is more fun to shoot, and is more useful for coyote sized critters.

Daryl

----
Hate to say it, but also much better duty than any .22 for all manner of "coyotes" if unfortunately called upon, considering where you are tromping!

+1 Enormously satisfying to carry, shoot and hunt with. Of all my Rugers, the ones I'd have the greatest pangs parting with. About to be challenged by .44 Special New Vaqueros coming in, but there'll always be at least one (or several) .32s in my stable.

Now, if CCI'd finally get off their duff and bring us some .32 snakeshot. They've been singing the same old tune for 25 years (not enough market). While I can't argue their numbers or bottom line, maybe with the .327 coming out in more and more guns, they'll finally see a market and come out with some H&R sized shells.

peyton

Single-Sixer
My 32 mag single six's all are with the adjustable sights. They are so accurate I never had to make a adjustment yet!! This is my latest purchase.

singlesix32magnum.jpg