Single Six .32 H&R?s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gotcha

Bearcat
well I have the 32 on layaway till I can get to the shop next week, I am on duty for the next couple of days, If shot shells were available that would be awsome, I guess I will have to start asking some questions in the reloading section on getting started on casting and such. The anticipation/wait for the next five days is going to be tough. I guess a threepeson holster will be next. Anyone know if there are any auto magazines that will hold 32 H&R rounds? (facilitate the ease of carrying spare rounds) Worked with .45acp and officers magazines for my Blackhawk convertible

Carl

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
gak":3a0urkb0 said:
----
Hate to say it, but also much better duty than any .22 for all manner of "coyotes" if unfortunately called upon, considering where you are tromping!

That's exactly right, and I've thought about that. I also carried a S&W J-frame IWB at 1:00, inside my shirt, and I keep a Win '92 behind the seat chambered in .45 Colt...loaded with stout loads.

I've never encountered any problems with the other type of "coyote", but it's happened to some. Rob Krentz was a well liked man in this area, and I know of a few that have been car-jacked by illegals.

+1 Enormously satisfying to carry, shoot and hunt with. Of all my Rugers, the ones I'd have the greatest pangs parting with. About to be challenged by .44 Special New Vaqueros coming in, but there'll always be at least one (or several) .32s in my stable.

Now, if CCI'd finally get off their duff and bring us some .32 snakeshot. They've been singing the same old tune for 25 years (not enough market). While I can't argue their numbers or bottom line, maybe with the .327 coming out in more and more guns, they'll finally see a market and come out with some H&R sized shells.

I make my own "shotshell" cartridges with #7 1/2 shot. One shotgun shell will supply enough lead for several loads.

I've been using something like 4 grains of Bullseye, then a couple of wads cut from the cardboard backing from a legal pad, then fill the case almost full with shot, stick two more wads on it, and crimp it in. Afterwards, I seal the top with super glue or nail polish (wax will work, but can melt out in hot environments).

They actually work pretty well for small game at close range, and I've used the load on a chicken or two I needed to butcher, but was having a hard time catching.

Rattlesnakes don't stand a chance. :)

gotcha

Bearcat
AzRebel,
Great Idea on the home brew shot shells, that is going to be one of the first things I try out with reloading, Nothing like the necessity and solutions
Carl

maxpress

Buckeye
+1 on the shot shells. i use a hot glue gun for the top wad. melt some in a pan and touch the tip with it. i have found that you have to adjust powder +/- 1-2gr to get the best pattern depending on the gun and bbl length. i use cardboard at 10ft.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I too handload .32 mag shotshells; have been using them (infrequently) for about 12 years.

To cut wads from tablet backing, try this:

Use a case mouth deburring/chamfering tool to sharpen a case mouth. Chuck it into a drill. Cut a bunch to be used for over powder and over shot wads. Poke them out of the case with a paper clip, etc. (Or drill out the primer pocket so you can use a larger rod to poke out the cut wads.)

I've used #4, #6, #7.5, and #12 shot. For primary use as a snake (or other small critter) load, I like the #12. (Many years ago, I bought a 25 lb bag of #12 shot - a lifetime supply!)

SoundDude

Bearcat
:twisted: Oh you people! :twisted:

You just HAD to show pictures of that bird's head .32
You just HAD to mention Davidson's had it in stock.

I just HAD to order one.
Mine will be in Tuesday!

SoundDude

Bearcat
My name is John, and I am a Rugeraholic.

This one will bring the count to 8 (I know, a good start...)

Single-six convertible .22/.22WM
Vaquero (original) .45 Colt
.357 BH
.30 Carbine BH
.44 Mag 50th anniv. flattop BH
.327 BH SS
.44 Mag Bisley Vaquero
.32 Single-six BH SS

gotcha

Bearcat
Well I am still at work paroled tomorrow, Hopefully pick up the single six on tuesday or wedesday. Any good sugestions on wadcutters or semi wadcutters and powder combinations I know I will also post the question in the reloading section I have already been to Md smiths page I have 231 and trailboss on hand

Thanks
carl

gotcha

Bearcat
SoundDude, Is that a 327 or 32 H&R load? I am at a handicap no load info other then the net. How do you like that Berry 83gr DEWC?
Thanks
carl

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I use Berry's 83 gr DEWC for light loads in my .32 H&R Mag(s). Great bullet.

But I've never tried to "magnumize" loads with that bullet.

From Berry's website, http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-How_do_I_load_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx:
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
For full power loads, I use the Hornady 85 gr XTP over 12 gr of Hodgdon Li'l Gun powder. Works great.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a bunch of 32 cal stuff, and not only do I shoot softer lead (hornadys) to the plated Berry's, and my own cast bullets. I have found it to be another versitile caliber,, yet very pleasant to shoot. In the last few days,, I've been testing my 357 maxi barrels in my T/C,, and after shooting 50-75 of them,, you notice the recoil. However,, I can shoot a few hundred of the 32's and not notice a thing.

Landric

Bearcat
I have a .32 Mag Single Six that is my favorite range gun. Its one of the recent guns from Davidson's, and I couldn't be happier with it.

IMG_0559.jpg

We have a group buy going for 115 grain Keith SWCs in the .314 range if any of you fellow .32 nuts are interested.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=79848

varminter22

Single-Sixer
gotcha":18f51j42 said:
Varminter
thank you for the info. I hope it will not be very difficult to find
componets for the 32
Thanks again
Carl
Am not sure about current availability. But I think it will be fairly easy.

I REALLY like Li'l Gun for full magnum (.32 H&R Mag) loads - it burns clean and produces about 1200 fps in my 4.625" barrel.

But for lighter loads there are plenty of choices. Trail Boss is good for light loads.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Landric":1e6ixjca said:
We have a group buy going for 115 grain Keith SWCs in the .314 range if any of you fellow .32 nuts are interested.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=79848

Everyone have good luck with heavy .32 bullets?

Years ago, I tried the Speer 100 gr bullets and they did NOT shoot good at all in my Single Six .32 Mag.

So I've stayed with the 85 gr XTP and Berry plated lead DEWC.

As far as loads, I have had the best luck with the Sierra 85 JHC bullet and a way above max charge of AA #7. I say way above max but I mean above what the manuals say. The cartridge can be pushed much further than that out of something like a Single Six. I originally got the load from a published article by Skeeter and Dean Grennel.

Now if you want a nice bullet to plink and target shoot with, then I lean this way....

http://www.pennbullets.com/32/32100wcbb.html

Gregg

gotcha

Bearcat
Well I either pick up the single six in the am or wait til the next day I will post pics after I pick it up, I have some old master cartridge rounds some reloads and some 32 S&W to run through it at the range on the way home. Hopfuly The brass will show up in the next two days, I will start on a small reloader bench for a spare bedroom/man cave and start my reloading. X Mas in June The anticipation and the S/A bug has bit.
Thank You
Carl

Latest posts