Feedback Requested on Single Six .32 H&R

Help Support Ruger Forum:

C3Ranger

Bearcat
I'm hoping to get some expert feedback and opinions on the .32 H&R magnum caliber Single Six pictured below. According to the Ruger serial number lookup, this one was manufactured in 2008. It is complete with original box and paperwork and has been well-used, but well cared for. Based on the serial and model number KSSM4-FSI, my copy of RENE indicates this is one of 150 "cleanup" guns for the fixed sight .32 mag Single Six.

Your thoughts on collectability and value will be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN7392.JPG
    DSCN7392.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 136

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I have one in blue , they made a run for Lipseys I think in about 2018 , I've heard them called "Vaqueritos"

Is the cylinder polished and the frame and barrel matte or does it just look like that in the picture?

Not sure what you want to know except they are great shooters.
As far as collectability and value kind of like the stock market???
Mine are the short frame models which allows me to shoot one handed easier. I reload and have used them in both SASS Black powder and smokeless matches. VERY cheap to reload with both powder and lead. So if you reload great. If you do not not so great.
Since nobody wanted them at the time Distributers sold them at a discount. A bunch of us SASS guys bought 18 of them at $237.00 each.
They also had clean up guns and then the "Last Cowboy Model"
Ruger thought they would sell to the SASS female shooters. They were wrong. Most found out you can load a 38 to do anything a 32 will do and more.
These two are consecutive serial numbers. You can also see that the frame and cylinder are polished the same. I added the Eagle Gun Fighter Grips. They came with the sim. Ivory ones.

1700586863494.png

1700586890672.png

I bought this pair at the same time. They later went to a new home along with the short grip frames.
1700587671130.png

Last edited:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The "S" in the catalog number indicates the Short grip frame. They made about 500 of them with the normal grip frame in 2000 and then came out with the Short grip frame in 2001 and made many more Short GF guns than standard GF ones.

The "cleanup" guns have the Warning rollmark on the bottom of the barrel instead of the side, and it doesn't appear that this one has it on the side, so you might be right about that part.

I'm not familiar with the satin finish on the frame/barrel and gloss finish on the cylinder. I suspect that might not be factory done. If it was factory done, that might make it special. Value of a regular KSSM4FSI is around $650-700 these days.

I bought my standard frame guns at retail in 2000 and the blue/case was $403.93 OTD w/tax and the stainless was $405.95.

Same thing with my Short grip frame guns in 2001, blue/case was $419.99 OTD And stainless was $422.84

My birdsheads in 2002 were $425 for blue and $418 for stainless

I don't have a cleanup gun or 2-tone.

C3Ranger

Bearcat
As you mentioned, and as this model is described in RENE, the warning roll mark is on the bottom of the barrel. Close inspection shows no sign of refinishing after it left the factory. Would a Ruger factory letter describe the finish?

contender

Ruger Guru
WMG has given some excellent info.

I agree that the finish may not be factory.

And the letter from Ruger will have the model info on it such as; KSSM4FSI,, or other such info. if the finish was done by the factory,, it'll be a different model description.

I do not recall any "matte finish & polished cylinder" types ever from Ruger.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Well, you already have the catalog number from the box, so the only way a letter could help is if they had made any additional notes in their log. There isn't a mark like and asterisk or crow's foot next to the serial number is there? Or the word "Used" on the label? Those could be clues to the finish being experimental and that the gun was an evaluation piece. I suppose it could have just been an error and they decided to just ship it instead of correcting it.

All the regular stainless fixed sight .32 Single Sixes that I'm aware of had the high gloss finish all over, just like the Vaqueros that they were mimicking.

BTW, the shorter grip frame was to get the overall dimensions down to where these would qualify for some sort of "Vest Pocket" category classification for CAS.

BTW, the shorter grip frame was to get the overall dimensions down to where these would qualify for some sort of "Vest Pocket" category classification for CAS.
Never heard that before and I shot SASS for 20 years. There is a SASS side match that is called pocket pistol, but the 32 SS would still be to big.
If you remember when the advertising for the 32 had pictures of SASS Females shooting it. At the time the 357 Vaqueros were made on the large frame with a standard grip. Rugers thinking the Women needed a smaller lighter shooter. So along came the smaller 32 less recoil Vaqueroett with birds head and shorter grip frame.

Latest posts