Shoot or not..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hawgleg44

Bearcat
I'm buying a NIB, 2 digit SN Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine tomorrow. It even has the original shipping box that it was sent it. Not even a turn mark on the cylinder. Factory oil all over it still, too.

I'm not a collector at all. I'm a fan of the .30 Carbine in my USGI M1 Carbines and have shot a Blackhawk in that caliber before and figured I needed one to go along with them. A friend of mine offered me this one out of his collection.

So, am I doing a big disservice to a collector's grade Ruger Blackhawk by shooting it, or is there not much of a demand for a it? Is there really any added value to it by being such an early gun, NIB, with the original USPS shipping box, too?

I'm really a shooter and want to shoot it, but if it's really a desired collector's item, I don't want to ruin that.

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
So what's the value of a 2 digit unfired? $500, $600? And what a 95% .30 in MA going for/ how easy are they to find. What's it worth to you to have a brand new gun in hand, versus go hunt down another buyer and seller.

Won't hurt my feelings if you shoot it. It's only (your) money.

Hawgleg44

Bearcat
mindustrial said:
So what's the value of a 2 digit unfired? $500, $600? And what a 95% .30 in MA going for/ how easy are they to find. What's it worth to you to have a brand new gun in hand, versus go hunt down another buyer and seller.

Won't hurt my feelings if you shoot it. It's only (your) money.

The good thing is that the .30 Carbine Blackhawk is MA "Compliant", so we can buy new ones here. It's not a rare, hard to find handgun like some are here. Also, I live in the "free" part of MA (Western MA), where gunshop owners don't price gouge you every time you do a transfer. The guys out in E. MA have it rough.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
It isn't gold plated, shoot it and enjoy it. Just keep it nice and put away the box and accessories. You may lose a bit of value if you ever sell it but not that much and you will have the vaalue of years of enjoyment.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
protoolman said:
It isn't gold plated, shoot it and enjoy it. Just keep it nice and put away the box and accessories. You may lose a bit of value if you ever sell it but not that much and you will have the vaalue of years of enjoyment.

+1 shot it, enjoy it, forget that collector value crap, whats your enjoyment of shooting it worth? priceless!

Well my 3 cents worth.
You can buy a nice 3 screw 30 for $350-400. You know how much you paid for yours. So do a little research on what it would sell for.
Since there are only 90 of a 2 digit guns out there and how many with all the stuff you say. I don't have a clue what it's worth.
Me I wouldn't shoot it if I could make a few $$$$$ on it.
Jim

BlkHawk73

Hunter
If you simply want a .30 carbine shooter, let this pristine 2-digit stay that way. Better to let it be as it is and bring a :D to a collector's face so that you can have NM, or most any other OM, in the same chambering, money left over and a :D yourself.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
You could always just send it to my FFL dealer. I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Seriously, if you can sell it to a collector and make a couple dollars, do that and buy an new (or newer) Blackhawk 30 carbine to shoot.

Otherwise, shoot the snot out of it and enjoy.

I have a 30 carbine blackhawk and it's a fine shooting revolver and just a ton of fun to take to the range and shoot.

Jeff

Oh Yea We could work out a trade :wink:
Need any ammo to go with it :roll:
m1-1.jpg

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Wyandot Jim said:
m1-1.jpg
I have pretty much the same setup except mine is not an OM Blackhawk. I even have a couple M1 Carbine magazines that are wrapped in the cosmo coated paper to go with the carbine.

Carbs are just a ton of fun to shoot.

Jeff

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Post it here for a trade, it wont shoot any better than a used one and you'd just be throwing money away.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
I assume you have a two digit Old Model and not a New Model. Pics would help alot. Take a look in the Auction Link department at the BH 2 digit 30 advertised on GB. His price is about $400 too high imho but it will give you an idea of value. If its a New Model just shoot and enjoy. Old Model? you might want to check your options.

Hawgleg44

Bearcat
jeffnles1 said:
Wyandot Jim said:
m1-1.jpg
I have pretty much the same setup except mine is not an OM Blackhawk. I even have a couple M1 Carbine magazines that are wrapped in the cosmo coated paper to go with the carbine.

Carbs are just a ton of fun to shoot.

Jeff

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I pick it up.

Yeah, I have a few setups like that. My QH Carbine has all the old features and is in a repro Paratrooper stock. My Inland has an adjustable rear sight, bayonet lug and is in an older, non-potbelly stock. About 20 years ago I picked up a lot of the M1 Carbine mags that Northridge had still wrapped in the cosmoline paper. I probably have 20 of them still wrapped up and 10 or so of them unwrapped so I can use them. I never had much luck with the 30 round USGI mags.

My Dillon 550B has been cranking out .30 Carbine reloads for the past few nights. I'm out of jacketed bullets now so I'm going to tap into my gas checked cast bullets. My QH M1 Carbine is just as accurate with those as it is with jacketed bullets. I hope I have the same results with whatever .30 Carbine Blackhawk I end up shooting, whether it's this one or a used one after this one is living in a collector's safe.

yessir, it is a 'crap shoot" and it all depends on how much are YOU gonna have to pay for it?? if he's a collector, then he';ll know what its worth, so keep it "as is" and put it with your 'favorite' M-1 as a top notch "collectible", there are only, what is it, 90 2 digit guns??
or as said above, they were made to be shot, just don't ride it hard and put it away wet, BUT you KNOW something is gonna happen to its finish in one way or another......................as often said here, if the chance comes, take it, keep it and buy another one as a "shooter" they are pretty easy to find and come across and at fairly decent prices, ......yes even other 'old models; if that floats your boat....nice situation to be in my opinion...EXCEPT for knowing the price, that would be the deal breaker...PUCKER FACTOR :roll:

Hawgleg44

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
yessir, it is a 'crap shoot" and it all depends on how much are YOU gonna have to pay for it?? if he's a collector, then he';ll know what its worth, so keep it "as is" and put it with your 'favorite' M-1 as a top notch "collectible", there are only, what is it, 90 2 digit guns??
or as said above, they were made to be shot, just don't ride it hard and put it away wet, BUT you KNOW something is gonna happen to its finish in one way or another......................as often said here, if the chance comes, take it, keep it and buy another one as a "shooter" they are pretty easy to find and come across and at fairly decent prices, ......yes even other 'old models; if that floats your boat....nice situation to be in my opinion...EXCEPT for knowing the price, that would be the deal breaker...PUCKER FACTOR :roll:

He owes me a favor, so I'm not paying collector price for it at all.

contender

Ruger Guru
If it's an Old Model, and in LNIB condition, the collectors try & try to find examples like this.
Yes, it's your gun, but you will lower the value of that package by shooting it & allowing wear on it. Even just a little bit.
Personally I'd love to see the OM 2 digits stay pristene to be admired as excellent examples of what Ruger used to build.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Just post a trade for a used one right here on this forum in the classified area; it'll cost you nothing.

You'll know immediately on the offers you get, how much difference in cash that you'll be throwing down the sewer by pulling the trigger on it. If there's not enough difference in cash on a trade for a used one, then keep and shoot it.