Ruger Wrangler BH Accuracy ~Excellent!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wasp

🇺🇸
A few of my favorite things are Single Action revolvers and .22 LR, and I'm also a big fan of the Birdshead grip.
20230407_175557.jpg

When I saw Ruger was putting out a Birdshead on the Wrangler, I knew I had to have one! I started looking again at the Wrangler to see people's general opinions of them, and the biggest complaint I saw was about accuracy. At around $200 I had to have one anyway, even if it was just for plinking and grins.
20221215_141528.jpg

I wasn't disappointed when I received it and got it in my hand, it felt like other Birdshead SA's I'd owned or held, but in .22 LR 😍!! I got it home and couldn't wait to shoot it, so I got a box of my favorite load, CCI Standard Velocity and got some lead on target. It was low left, but I could tell that it was mostly my finger on the trigger and how the front blade sat in the "Trough/U Channel" sights.
20221218_162028.jpg

[This was my best group (stock), trying to find where it hit. You can see it was a little low]

I went to Wolff Springs website and bought a 19# hammer spring, a 40 oz trigger spring, and a heavier cylinder pin latch spring, all of which put me out a whole $14. I have worked on lots of Single Actions, but even if you haven't, if you are slightly mechanically inclined and watch a video, with a few simple tools these springs can be replaced in about twenty minutes.

I shot the Birdshead again and now it was dead center, just low about 2". Sure, I could live with it, just raise the blade a little above the channel and it'd be fine, but I wanted it right on at 7 yards, then I can predict better for longer distances if I needed to. I needed to file it down just a little.

I got out the blue tape and taped the top of the barrel and trough, only leaving the blade exposed. If you think you'll be a little more reckless, tape the frame and remove the cylinder. I kept the file parallel to the barrel and made several passes, maybe 3/32". I removed the tape and loaded it up and fired six from the bench at 7 yards and it's dead on. My offhand groups are really good now too. When filing I recommend making a few passes and testing a little more often, a few more passes between each one. You will be able to predict better where to stop, because you can't just put steel back on!
Polish_20230413_145806970.jpg

I got out some "Rustoleum Matte Black Enamel" and a qtip and touched up the cerakote and it dried to match. I may get some air dry cerakote eventually so it will be slightly more durable.

I am totally satisfied with the results. I now have a Ruger Birdshead in .22 that hits dead on at 7 yards for around $200, and you can't beat that with a stick! WOHOO!!!
🤠
I have a Triple K holster coming, and now that I know it's this good- I may get a set of grips too.
20221218_163331.jpg
20221218_163348.jpg
Badass.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Very, very nice!

Excellent write up & pictures.

Many "nay-sayers" have tried to trash the Wrangler,, yet,, stuff like this makes me chuckle. The Wrangler was not built to be a match grade, do-all gun. It was built as an entry level, quality plinker, fun gun, tackle box or truck gun. It can & will perform it's job if it's looked at like that. You can pack a Wrangler on your hip & go woods bumming & if you need a handgun for a snake, or a rat or similar, or heck, just doing a little plinking,,, it's superb!

KIR

Sparks, NV
Great pictures. My son just picked up a Wrangler. He likes it just fine.

Wasp

🇺🇸
nice I've been thinking real hard about getting a Birdshead ,, this might just push me over the edge LOL
Just grab one. When they're gone you'll be upset. Ruger hasn't exactly be making a lot of Single Actions the last few years. I REALLY wish I hadn't sold my .45 ACP Vaquero, and would really like a .327 magnum, and a few others.

Wasp

🇺🇸
Very, very nice!

Excellent write up & pictures.

Many "nay-sayers" have tried to trash the Wrangler,, yet,, stuff like this makes me chuckle. The Wrangler was not built to be a match grade, do-all gun. It was built as an entry level, quality plinker, fun gun, tackle box or truck gun. It can & will perform it's job if it's looked at like that. You can pack a Wrangler on your hip & go woods bumming & if you need a handgun for a snake, or a rat or similar, or heck, just doing a little plinking,,, it's superb!
I agree completely. In most cases it's probably more shooter error and not being used to trough sights I'd imagine. It's perfectlyrics capable as my group suggests. Of course offhand shots aren't quite that tight, but I'd take game at short range, or pest elimination without hesitation.
You can't beat it for the money, and I'm sure it gets a LOT of people shooting, especially new shooters. I like the innovation too. Now I want them to start making more single actions again.

contender

Ruger Guru
They are slowly getting the SA line back up & running again! It takes people willing to work, who can pass a background check, a drug test & willing to work for a gun company.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I saw a brand new stainless 357 Blackhawk in the display case at my LGS yesterday... First new one I've seen in a long time, looked really nice too! 👍

I'm sure Ruger is currently producing one Blackhawk for every 500 Wranglers at this time however...Hopefully that'll change in the near future.

Last edited:

Jon406

Single-Sixer
You did a great job, I don't have the Wrangler with a birdhead grip, but I'll have mine with me when I give the new 10/22 a run for it... on the targets.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Great post, great pictures, thank you for your review.
I bought a standard black Wrangler when they first came out because I need a snake and varmint pistol to carry in the garden and woods at home.
Not as accurate as my MK2, but but it is mudproof , perfectly reliable, shoots anything and it is certainly accurate enough from the tractor seat to the edge of the garden. I think you convinced me to get a Birdshead.