Ruger super single six serial number 563xxx

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cobra69

Bearcat
Ruger super single six serial 563xxx The box says Super "SINGLE" Six below that .22WMR Caliber Revolver. Also catalog number SC6 The box has the grease pencil serial number on the side. The magnum cylinder has 725 stamped. The other cylinder is stamped the same. Somewhere I read the super single six didn't start production until the sixties. The serial number on this gun dates it to 1956-57. I have questions…..

hittman

Staff member
… we have answers ….

Welcome to the forum. Your gun was made in 1968 According to Ruger's web site.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome cobra69!

You have shown the serial number as 563xxx and listed the cylinder markings as 725. That would make the entire serial number 563725. Ruger marked the last 3 digits of the serial on the face of the cylinders to keep them together after the blueing process.
And as noted above,, according to well known records kept by the Red Eagle News Exchange,, (RENE) that gun was made in 1968.
You mention the BOX has "Super "SINGLE" Six below that .22WMR Caliber Revolver. Also catalog number SC6 The box has the grease pencil serial number on the side.'

That serial number does appear as a SC6 model.

Ruger first offered a .22 Magnum only marked Single-Six in 1959.
The earliest convertible Single-Sixes in 1961.
The SC variations came along in 1964.

Not sure where you came up with the idea the gun was made in 1956-1957.

We can help when we have good data. PLEASE ask your questions!

Reactions: KIR

KIR

Sparks, NV
To confirm: I purchased my Convertible Single-Six in August of 1967 and found that it was manufactured the same year. The serial # is 535XXX. I much prefer the .22 Mag over the LR. It is a classic 3-Screw with both cylinders fluted. I updated it with faux pearl grips for looks, just before my son asked me for the gun. Oh, I read that the barrel is 5 1/2" which is supposed to be fairly rare and scarce when mated with the early grip frame.

welcome to the forum and GOOD information above, so we also wonder just how you came up with that early made date, as note above magnums did not even come out until 1959,and I may add , the grips on your gun just may have the black eagle medallions that have the "neck feathers" appeared around that time 1967-68...... :cool: (y)
Funny, just the other night Ed M, brought his over to check out and replace the old parts, and his is about the same number ,between yours and Kirs listed above, he did not get the spare mag cylinder and his gun has the "neck feather" black eagles medallions, Nice guns.......(y)(y)

Last edited:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
To confirm: I purchased my Convertible Single-Six in August of 1967 and found that it was manufactured the same year. The serial # is 535XXX. I much prefer the .22 Mag over the LR. It is a classic 3-Screw with both cylinders fluted. I updated it with faux pearl grips for looks, just before my son asked me for the gun. Oh, I read that the barrel is 5 1/2" which is supposed to be fairly rare and scarce when mated with the early grip frame.
Congrats on a nice vintage single six! I'm confused by your last statement above. Yours doesn't have the early grip frame if you mean the XR3 grip frame, yours would have the XR3-RED Grip frame. And the 5 1/2" barrel is the most common barrel length except of course on the lightweight models which only had 4 5/8" barrels.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Hondo44: It was just was what I read somewhere's and made a note of it. Don't really know the source.

Stymie820

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Super Single Six Catalog No. SC6. The box says .22 caliber revolver with a 6 1/2" barrel. The serial number is also written in chalk (548419) on the end of the box. Did this gun come with the 22 magnum barrel or was it bought later? It has not been converted.

hittman

Staff member
Did this gun come with the 22 magnum barrel or was it bought later?
Assume you mean cylinder, not barrel.
I think RSSMX would be your model if it had come with both cylinders from the factory,
Also, look HARD on the cylinder faces to see if the last 3 digits of the s/n is etched on the cylinder.

Stymie820

Bearcat
Yeah. I meant to say cylinder. I looked at the face of the cylinder but don't see any number(s) on it. The box for it does say fitted extra cylinder.

Stymie820

Bearcat
Assume you mean cylinder, not barrel.
I think RSSMX would be your model if it had come with both cylinders from the factory,
Also, look HARD on the cylinder faces to see if the last 3 digits of the s/n is etched on the cylinder.

Can you post a picture of that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg