RUGER SFAR PROBLEM SOLVED UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sargeny11

Bearcat
HEY ALL...I posted a while back about my problem with my SFAR...NUMEROUS FTF & EJECT AND NO LOCK BACK...thinking it just needed Ruger's "BREAK IN"
I continued to shoot it...after about 125 rounds with a superficial cleaning at 50 rounds, I thoroughly cleaned it...and removed the handguard to clean the regulator and gas block....the set screws were about to fall out and the gas block was VERY loose on the bbl...cleaned it all up and the set screws and set screw holes and loctite'd 'em in....just got back from my club range here in central texas...its VERY hot and humid today...97DEG..but the shooting positions are all covered....fired approx 75 rounds of factory hornady & winchester 150 hunting loads and my fav 150 hunting load with TAC powder...
no more FTF or Eject and rifle locks back on empty magazine..it is throwing the fired cases at 3 to 4 o'clock on
gas setting T W O....
PROBLEM SOLVED....now to write RUGER a nasty note on their exemplary quality control......
Pete in central texas

hittman

Staff member
Some have said I've been known to have a screw loose too …. you're no different I see. :ROFLMAO:

Glad it's all fixed up. I had a problem once sighting in a 10/22. Wish I'd a checked the scope mounting screws on it before I got all worked up! It happens.

gunzo

Hunter
Thanks for the update. So many times there are reports of problems without closure. And what cured the problem is the main subject IMO. Lots of reports on these rifles early on but I haven't seen anything lately.

Glad it's now working out for ya. I know they are lots of fun to shoot. Enjoy!

...Glad it's all fixed up. I had a problem once sighting in a 10/22. Wish I'd a checked the scope mounting screws on it before I got all worked up! It happens.

Went to the range a few weeks ago with a friend, and one of my newer ARs wouldn't cycle; everything looked ok, but 'no go', so I just cased it and pulled out a different rifle. I figured out after I got home that I had accidentally dialed the adjustable gas block closed, instead of open (doh!). Mentioned it to my friend & he said, "Simple fix!" Nice when that happens!

As always IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc., etc.
:)

Well, at least you got the problem solved.
FWIW, this is one of the primary reasons I don't like handguards that cover the gas block. I have a 6.5 Grendel that had gas block loosening issues. Sent it back to the company and they returned it with a gas block with SIX set screws--still loosened. I added a clamp on GB mounted with stud retainer and that fixed THAT issue.

Kodjo

Bearcat
HEY ALL...I posted a while back about my problem with my SFAR...NUMEROUS FTF & EJECT AND NO LOCK BACK...thinking it just needed Ruger's "BREAK IN"
I continued to shoot it...after about 125 rounds with a superficial cleaning at 50 rounds, I thoroughly cleaned it...and removed the ha
You are one of the SFAR guys that had gas problems, which Ruger has been assiduously fixing by part replacement if you send a sick rifle in. Even if gas is not the problem, they do this...I learned. Since they do not send a diagnosis or a description of the work done back with your rifle you have to be proactive and call someone at Ruger to find out what they did. They WILL NOT tell you what the problem was!

Here's my story: I bought an SFAR in summer 2023 and immediately loved the thing. Light, well-designed, actually innovative. I gave it a good cleaning and lube like I do with any new firearm. I put some nice optics and good iron sights on it, zeroed it (it's accuracy isn't very good).

Here's the thing: Cases stay stuck in the chamber and need a cleaning rod to shove them out. This happens more often than not. I fire good ammo, different brands. The fired cases are all under 2.015". Sometimes the extractor would rip part of the case rim off trying to extract the case. Most of the time the bolt remained only partially open. It's obviously not a gas problem. What's up with your chamber, Ruger? The first time it went back they replaced the gas block and that was it. I was told they fired twenty rounds through it. I had to call to find that out and what the repair was. Nothing written came with the weapon. I took it out to rezero it. Nearly one badly stuck case after the other, three different brands: Hirtenberger (MilSurp), Hornady, PPU. Their measurements were good, some were a little short and those were probably the ones that didn't stick.

I sent it back again. It came back with a new barrel. Ah ha! I had to call to find out what was done to it and was also told that they had fired twenty rounds through it. The rifle is riddled with tool marks and scratches and the buffer tube is really loose. I am very disappointed, Ruger. I grew up with their guns. If I get a recurring problem with new ammo and it jams Ruger has lost me for good. What's up with the lack of transparency (no diagnosis), and no description of the work done included with the rifle? It's just, "Here's your danged rifle with some new parts." "And a bunch of dings we put in it for ya."

Last edited:

duke3

Bearcat
Ruger did'nt put the time into the buffer system.After 50rds with FTFeed/bad ejection-esp on NATO pressure...I put on a Vtlor A5 system---200rds later on setting 2--all NATO pressure ejects at 3-330....all commercial/handloads eject at 330-400...Love a properly functioning SFAR..

Kodjo

Bearcat
My rifle's buffer system has ZERO to do with cases lodging in the chamber, although Ruger failed to tighten the tube sufficiently when they tinkered with my rifle. The extractor rips the rims off cases trying to get them out!! I did not describe a failure to feed, bad ejection problem. However, I am happy that you solved yours.

"My rifle's buffer system has ZERO to do with cases lodging in the chamber"
UH, ok?? As an AR assembler, one of the first things I look at is the buffer and spring setup when there's an extraction issue. A heavier buffer is the easiest fix for extraction failures.

The.Tumbleweed

Bearcat
My rifle's buffer system has ZERO to do with cases lodging in the chamber, although Ruger failed to tighten the tube sufficiently when they tinkered with my rifle. The extractor rips the rims off cases trying to get them out!! I did not describe a failure to feed, bad ejection problem. However, I am happy that you solved yours.
I just joined this forum, but your post struck me as familiar.
I've had relentless FTF, FTE issues with this rifle. I have the 20" version, and I love the weight, just not the issues.
All of that being said, a thorough cleaning of the rifle, from muzzle to buffer will also help with some issues, as I noticed a considerable amount of carbon on the BCG internals.

What I've found, and you might want to check for yourself, that a lot of the commercial rounds tend to have issues in this rifle, including the normally reliable M80 ball ammunition.

I took to checking each round with Dillon head space/case gauge, and found many were a tight fit, or would only partially fall into the gauge.
If I used ONLY the rounds that easily slid into the gauge, and those case mouths that DID NOT extend beyond the gauge, the rifle ran as advertised.

I suspect the chambers of these rifles are slightly undersized, compared to other rifles of the same caliber.

Just my opinion, and observations. YMMV

Last edited:
"I suspect the chambers of these rifles are slightly undersized, compared to other rifles of the same caliber."
Possibly not 'under sized' but certainly 'tight'. I see similarities with an AR10 type 6.5 Creedmoor. Cases that 'should fit' don't quite allow full bolt closure. Often a second 'restrike' with the small base die works but can't be counted on 100%. And when this failure to fully go into battery occurs, it ties the action up completely. An AR based or AR 'type' action should not fire if the bolt isn't fully engaged-this is one of the safety features.
A heavier buffer may help with bolt closure/lock up as will a stronger buffer spring. Both will help with early unlocking and/or ripping the rim off due to early extraction.

The.Tumbleweed

Bearcat
That being said, shouldn't Ruger have given the chambers a slightly looser spec?
Some (several rounds per box of OTS ammo) tend to hang up, stick in the chamber, brass chewed up on extraction, light strikes, etc.
My handloads have none of these issues.
Shouldn't the rifle perform similarly with OTS ammunition ? If not, why not?

The.Tumbleweed

Bearcat
300+ rounds down, and the rifle is running like clockwork, with no issues, even with OTS ammunition.
Now to see if I can tighten the groups a bit.

What is the best groups anyone is getting from their rifle?

Kodjo

Bearcat
I just joined this forum, but your post struck me as familiar.
I've had relentless FTF, FTE issues with this rifle. I have the 20" version, and I love the weight, just not the issues.
All of that being said, a thorough cleaning of the rifle, from muzzle to buffer will also help with some issues, as I noticed a considerable amount of carbon on the BCG internals.

What I've found, and you might want to check for yourself, that a lot of the commercial rounds tend to have issues in this rifle, including the normally reliable M80 ball ammunition.

I took to checking each round with Dillon head space/case gauge, and found many were a tight fit, or would only partially fall into the gauge.
If I used ONLY the rounds that easily slid into the gauge, and those case mouths that DID NOT extend beyond the gauge, the rifle ran as advertised.

I suspect the chambers of these rifles are slightly undersized, compared to other rifles of the same caliber.

Just my opinion, and observations. YMMV
duke3 seems hung-up on buffer-related problems. I guess he builds AR rifles, like Eugene Stoner. After two trips back to Ruger, as I suspected, there was a problem with the chamber. After some work asking about the diagnosis, including writing a letter to the CEO (you can do this), I learned that my chamber had "rings" around it, which required a new barrel. I have put more than 300 rounds of various make through it without incident and sent a letter back to Ruger thanking them for their excellent customer service. I now have a good rifle. If you fiddle around with rifles, and think you know everything about a problem without actually intelligently reading a contribution, please remain silent.

Kodjo

Bearcat
300+ rounds down, and the rifle is running like clockwork, with no issues, even with OTS ammunition.
Now to see if I can tighten the groups a bit.

What is the best groups anyone is getting from their rifle?
I will attempt to include a photo my buddy sent with a brand-new SFAR OCT 2023 (after I bought mine and ran into problems) that he got at 100 yards with iron sights. It was MOA! I can't get that with mine, but he's no liar.

Kodjo

Bearcat
Sorry. The photos are not in my files anymore. But apparently there are some SFAR rifles that can drive tacks! I am not that lucky with mine. I get about 2 MOA. But that's with mil. ammo. My buddy used good reloads with match bullets.

" I learned that my chamber had "rings" around it, which required a new barrel."
This should have been fairly obvious when inspecting the fired brass and an immediate red flag as to the cause of several issues.

Latest posts