SFAR is Junk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

g5m,
You/I/we are talking to a blank stare when we ask such things. I don't know what buffer is OEM for the SFAR and really don't expect others have weighed theirs. We should just accept that the system is operating at the thin edge of acceptable and the tiniest variance can/will cause problems.
I've decided to just let these discussions run w/o my input. :devilish:

g5m

Blackhawk
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the VLTOR you used. They seem to have quite a few different weights.

duke3

Bearcat
I used a Vtlor A5 buffer/tube/spring---buffer tube is longer....The carbine tube on SFAR is too short to allow whatever spring Ruger put in to fully retract.

KneverKnew

Bearcat
I've written this ad naseum---Ruger did'nt put any thought into the buffer system--it's looks like they shoved a M4-3oz buffer in with a stretched rifle spring.....I had ALL the problems you had---I ran numbers on buffers and put on a spare VtlorA5 buffer system-SHAZAM...functions perfectly with ALL ammo on setting #2---ejectes NATO at 330,all .308 at 330-400.Very accurate with 168s...Ruger dropped the ball...
Please share the weight of the A5 buffer system you used. I swapped out buffer to an H2 with no luck.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
The OP here apparantly joined just to gripe. He's not logged back on since he sent it in for repairs so …. No info to gain from anything he may have learned. :(

jdbangbang

Bearcat
True, I did want to gripe. I was also looking for solutions. I have since received the SFAR back from Ruger. No notes in the box regarding what they did, if anything. They included a target with a 1.3 MOA 5 shot group shooting 175 SMK. That made me feel they were telling me 'Look, it shoots just fine!' and did nothing.

I called in to Ruger support to ask what was done. I was told barrel and gas system replaced. I have no written confirmation of that. I have not yet had a chance to venture back out to the range and verify for myself.

I will report back when I have time to give it another go.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I guess I feel lucky to have bought Ruger's SR-762 (16" barrel). It's a little heavier, but it has never once jammed, and on a good day I can shoot 1" MOA with a good optical scope. Here is a recent pic of it with my thermal scope for pig hunting in Texas.
tempImagelUiq7w.png

Last edited:

jdbangbang

Bearcat
I finally got in a little range time today with my returned SFAR. I was pleasantly surprised to see I that I could manage tighter groups and had no cycling issues with a few different types of factory .308. I am posting a pic of my best group which incidentally is also my first group after getting the Zeiss to zero. 3 shot group in the center - the outlier was me getting it to zero (honest). This was shooting Federal Berger Hybrid Hunter 168gr. Not all of my groups were that good but pretty good. I came prepared with 5 o 6 different types of .308. It was by accident that I started with Berger Hybrid Hunter. I put the same Zeiss (LRP S5 5-25x) I started with back on the SFAR. I tried a Larue 2st trigger this time instead of the TT Diamond 1st. I want something with a lighter pull so I plan to change triggers again.

I am calling this rifle, 'fixed'. I only tried a couple other types of ammo today, FGMM 168, FGMM 175. Ruger did not send back any paperwork with the rifle. When I called support to ask what did they do, if anything, I was told they replaced the barrel and gas assembly. They did include a target with a 1.3 MOA group shooting 175 FGMM.

Right now, the SFAR is shooting better than my also new to me DD5V4 .308 - similary equipped with Larue 2st and a NF ATACR.

Attachments

• IMG_3640.jpeg
    IMG_3640.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3637-small.jpeg
    IMG_3637-small.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3638-small.jpeg
    IMG_3638-small.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 19
I hope they get all the bugs figured out, as I want one of these. :cool:

I've had a few guns go back to the mother ship, and in each case they've given me a list of parts replaced. More times than not, parts replaced on the list had nothing to do with the necessary repairs. So... I don't put a lot of stock into believing they replaced all the things they claim, and ultimately, I don't know what they've done to actually repair the original problem. As long as the issue is resolved, nothing else matters. (y)