SFAR is Junk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jdbangbang

Bearcat
I would not buy a SFAR unless or until Ruger works out the issues.

I have a new 20" .308 SFAR. It's light and feels put together well. However, it doesn't shoot worth a damn. I have a 1,100.00 paper weight.

I have put 500 hundred or so rounds through it. The only thing that cycles reliably is Sierra MK 168grain. The only thing that shoots half decent groups is Sierra MK 168grain.

I did all of my bench shooting with no suppressor, gas block setting 3. Zeiss LRP S5 5-25x. I experimented with GB 2 vs GB 3. I could not get any ammo to cycle on 2. 3 feels like it may be over-gassed. I think there is definitely a GB issue with my SFAR.

I bought this rifle for hunting and target shooting, so readily available factory hunting ammo that cycles and groups well is a must for me.

I was hoping this would be at least a 1 MOA rifle. Sierra MK 168 is the only thing that comes close at around 1.5 - 2 MOA.

I tried the following factory ammo and I had problems cycling and getting decent groups with all of them.

Sierra GameKing 165
Winchester Deer Season XP 150
Winchester Power Point 180
Remington Core-Lokt PSP 180
Remington Core-Lokt Tipped 150
Remington Core-Lokt Tipped 165
Remginton Core-Lokt Tipped 180
Hornady American Whitetail 165
Hornady Superperformance SST 150
Hornady Superperformance SST 165

I expect more from any rifle. If I had known I would have these issues I would not have pulled the trigger. I guess that's on me for not doing more research. However, I also expected more from Ruger.

I will be sending this rifle back to Ruger, if they will take it. If that does not resolve my issues I will dump it and probably never buy another Ruger again. I've been down this road already with a different rifle and manufacturer.

I invested a lot of time and money to learn I made a mistake.

That's my .02 on the SFAR.

hittman

Staff member
Other threads that may help with info …..

I hope Ruger can solve the problems but as I've pointed out several times on the SFAR malfunction issues: it's a stretch to make the 308 fit the AR platform. I realize that Ruger (and the others who've taken this path) are chasing a market but I don't understand jeopardizing company reputation in the process.
The loose or mis-aligned gas block issues could be prevented by proper assembly. Accuracy issues caused by a bad barrel can be fixed by replacing the barrel. I have no idea of what Ruger expects as far as accuracy so 1.5-2 MOA may be within their design parameters. I have to lean toward the theory that the small frame .308 is meant to be more of a hunting tool than a benchrest shooter although that doesn't excuse the mediocre accuracy.
One question I have. Are the groups roundish or elongated either vertical or horizontal?

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
I would not buy a SFAR unless or until Ruger works out the issues.

I have a new 20" .308 SFAR. It's light and feels put together well. However, it doesn't shoot worth a damn. I have a 1,100.00 paper weight.

I have put 500 hundred or so rounds through it. The only thing that cycles reliably is Sierra MK 168grain. The only thing that shoots half decent groups is Sierra MK 168grain.

I did all of my bench shooting with no suppressor, gas block setting 3. Zeiss LRP S5 5-25x. I experimented with GB 2 vs GB 3. I could not get any ammo to cycle on 2. 3 feels like it may be over-gassed. I think there is definitely a GB issue with my SFAR.

I bought this rifle for hunting and target shooting, so readily available factory hunting ammo that cycles and groups well is a must for me.

I was hoping this would be at least a 1 MOA rifle. Sierra MK 168 is the only thing that comes close at around 1.5 - 2 MOA.

I tried the following factory ammo and I had problems cycling and getting decent groups with all of them.

Sierra GameKing 165
Winchester Deer Season XP 150
Winchester Power Point 180
Remington Core-Lokt PSP 180
Remington Core-Lokt Tipped 150
Remington Core-Lokt Tipped 165
Remginton Core-Lokt Tipped 180
Hornady American Whitetail 165
Hornady Superperformance SST 150
Hornady Superperformance SST 165

I expect more from any rifle. If I had known I would have these issues I would not have pulled the trigger. I guess that's on me for not doing more research. However, I also expected more from Ruger.

I will be sending this rifle back to Ruger, if they will take it. If that does not resolve my issues I will dump it and probably never buy another Ruger again. I've been down this road already with a different rifle and manufacturer.

I invested a lot of time and money to learn I made a mistake.

That's my .02 on the SFAR.
Found this in another forum. The post said the rifle is very ammo specific, with regard to accuracy.

"My unmolested 20" has shown itself to be dependent on good ammo for good groups. Best so far has been with Winchester (Lake City) M118 175gr BTHP that showed up at .7 MOA, but some other ammo has shown up at barn side MOA."

Hope this might help.

I hope Ruger can solve the problems but as I've pointed out several times on the SFAR malfunction issues: it's a stretch to make the 308 fit the AR platform. I realize that Ruger (and the others who've taken this path) are chasing a market but I don't understand jeopardizing company reputation in the process.
The loose or mis-aligned gas block issues could be prevented by proper assembly. Accuracy issues caused by a bad barrel can be fixed by replacing the barrel. I have no idea of what Ruger expects as far as accuracy so 1.5-2 MOA may be within their design parameters.
Sounds like it might be more accurate than the Mini14 anyway???

duke3

Bearcat
I've written this ad naseum---Ruger did'nt put any thought into the buffer system--it's looks like they shoved a M4-3oz buffer in with a stretched rifle spring.....I had ALL the problems you had---I ran numbers on buffers and put on a spare VtlorA5 buffer system-SHAZAM...functions perfectly with ALL ammo on setting #2---ejectes NATO at 330,all .308 at 330-400.Very accurate with 168s...Ruger dropped the ball...

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Similar issue with my Springfield M1A. It does love Federal Gold Medal Match 168g. USGI, run of the mill off the shelf not so much. With the FGGM I can get 1"-1.5" groups, scoped and from a rest. Its costs a good amount over USGI and use the mil-surp for plinking. Never hunted with it, yet.
what's the twist rate on the SFAR?

hittman

Staff member
Well, I shot nothing but factory ammo in mine. Only put maybe 300 rounds through it and then someone wanted it $100 more than I'd paid so ….. down the road it went. It was fun but not enough to choose it over the Colt SP1 I had at the time.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Well, I shot nothing but factory ammo in mine. Only put maybe 300 rounds through it and then someone wanted it $100 more than I'd paid so ….. down the road it went. It was fun but not enough to choose it over the Colt SP1 I had at the time.

Colt SP1... nice. So you sold it?

g5m

Blackhawk
I've written this ad naseum---Ruger did'nt put any thought into the buffer system--it's looks like they shoved a M4-3oz buffer in with a stretched rifle spring.....I had ALL the problems you had---I ran numbers on buffers and put on a spare VtlorA5 buffer system-SHAZAM...functions perfectly with ALL ammo on setting #2---ejectes NATO at 330,all .308 at 330-400.Very accurate with 168s...Ruger dropped the ball...
What weight buffer do you use?