Ruger SFAR Problem Solved...MAYBE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sargeny11

Bearcat
HEY ALL...was at my club range today to continue the break-in Ruger says for your new SFAR..have 150 rounds fired to date and was getting numerous fail to feed and no lock back...i did break it down completely at 100 rounds & also pulled the handguard to make sure it was not rubbing on the gas lock...pulled out the regulator also to clean that too...fired 40 factory rounds today..ww 150 power point & horn 168 bthp...
Just finished disassembly to clean it thinking the problem was dirty from firing....pulled handguard off and noticed the gas block was loose on the barrel...!!!! Did not notice that when i did the first cleaning....tightened the 2 3/32" set screws to 10inch lb torque.....will finish cleaning and try again tomorrow to see if it does what it is supposed to do.....fingers crossed....
Pete in central texas

This appears to be a definite factory OOPS issue. Disappointing to say the least. 'Stuff' happens now and then but this is down there on the lower level of how it should be done. I would expect better from Ruger.
I've seen assembly issues such as this but from low ender AR 'builders' like BCA and DTT.
The other bothersome thing I'm seeing is what seems to be the extended 'break-in' period. The AR's I assemble either work properly within 5-10 rounds or they come apart and start over. It shouldn't take 100-150 rounds for 'break-in' nor should the action eat brass during start-up.

... I've seen assembly issues such as this but from low ender AR 'builders' like BCA and DTT...

There's a good article from several years ago, about a multi-thousand-round ammunition 'torture test' conducted by one of the ammo retailers. They bought four brand new Bushmaster ARs to run the ammo through; during the testing, they figured out that two of the 'factory new' Bushmasters had barrel nuts that had been torqued to about 5 ft-lbs (not the recommended 30-80).

That's one reason I "roll my own" - even the 'big names' in the industry make mistakes once in a while.

As always, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.,etc.
:)

The.Tumbleweed

Bearcat
I had no end of issues with my rifle. It was jamming, FTF, FTE, stuck cases, chewed up brass.

I have taken and cleaned it with a brass bristle brush from muzzle to breach, soaked the BCG pieces in carbureter cleaner (and brushed crusty buildup from all parts), rinsed parts with water (and dried parts), cleaned debris from around trigger assembly.
300+ rounds down, and the rifle is running like clockwork, with no issues, even with OTS ammunition, all without having to return to the factory, replace parts, or seek out a gunsmith
Now to see if I can tighten the groups a bit.

What is the best groups anyone is getting from their rifle?

I'm please your rifle is now working properly BUT. The expense/time of 300+ rounds of 'break in' ammo shouldn't be required.
As I mentioned, an AR platform rifle should function properly within 5-10 rounds at most. I usually mount the chosen optic before any 'test fire' session and most often the rifle is working properly by the time the optic is zeroed. There have been a few 'fringe area' chamberings that required additional 'adjustments' like changing the buffer weight or spring rate but these were pretty much expected based on the cartridge choice.

The.Tumbleweed

Bearcat
I agree, but the take away is that a guy doesn't need to replace a bunch parts to make it work.
A thorough cleaning, and scrubbing, double-checking the factory build (screws, alignments, etc) plus the patience to stay with it until you get past the quirks of this rifle, yada yada, will pay off in the end.

Yes, it's a total pain in the ass, and a huge expenditure in time, ammunition, and patience, BUT, it works.
I'm definitely happier, in that it's not a total lemon, but a guy shouldn't have to go through all of that to make it work.

All that being said, My new Savage rifle (that fired 14 rounds before the extractor broke) will be here tomorrow, after being sent back to the factory.

Everythings coming up roses today.