Ruger ring torque

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mjac

Bearcat
Working on a SBH Hunter which has cutout notches if it makes any difference.
What torque should be applied to Ruger made rings when fastening to barrel. Not the torque used on rings to mount scope.

Thank you.

Johnnu2

Hunter
mjac, I don't think that I've ever torqued scope rings or bases... or much else on my guns in 60 years; BUT, I do snug snug things down rather tightly and use blue lock-tight. My normal practice also includes once per year checking to be sure things stay tight; so far, I can't recall anything coming lose.

p.s. I do have a Wheeler torque screw-driver thingie that I did use to tighten the stock screw on my 10/22 Target heavy barrel once; after that, I just never bothered using it again 'cause I'm lazy (and it didn't seem to make any difference positive or negative).

J.

mjac

Bearcat
I don't usually worry with torqueing scope rings or bases either. However for some now obscure reason, I chose to follow the suggested torque for screw size found on the above mentioned Wheeler chart. The scope worked loose after a few mild 44 handloads.
Maybe I'll return to my time tested ham fisted method.
Thanks for your reply.

TheDoubleD

Bearcat
Sorry for being late to the party...

If you are talking about the cross clamp screws, be very careful. Most of the older ones are dead soft and will stretch and the scope will move, The nose of the clamp nuts will also flare. This usually shows up in a gun that won't hold zero. Back in the 80's when had my shop open I would fix this by replacing the screws with after market screws and clamp nuts-I believe from Millet.

Later Ruger replaced these screws with hardened screws that would break when over tightened.

The screw that came with my two recent Ruger No. 1's seem just right.

Never seen a explanation justify torquing rings. Squaring the rings and bases. Squaring yes.

Some where in my tools I have a ring reamer, but haven't seen it in years.

Latest posts