Ruger needs to Growaset and step up to the Big Leagues. 460&500 S&W or if they don't want to be copycats 350 and 400 Moleman(Legend) and 450 Bushmaste

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger has always limited themselves to pedestrian firearms. The Super Redhawk was ok back in the 1980's. It was almost even competition for the Dan Wesson. The 450 Bushmaster and 460S&W are very comparable. It wouldn't be Rocket Surgery to stretch one of the big revolvers to accommodate something more substantial. When was the last time Ruger really advanced anything substantial? I don't want or expect them to turn into Kel Tec but come on get out of everyone's ruts.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
.480 Ruger.......because that caught on like wildfire. How many SRH's in .480 were sold , like 100?

Ruger will never make a gun in .500 or .460 S&W, not ever . Plus I don't really think S&W sells a lot of these anymore, the "shiny new" of having the biggest P-Nus at the range wore off, and people realized they really aren't enjoyable to shoot and are almost dangerous. The .500 had a habit of "doubling" from the recoil as it would force the shooter's finger against the trigger to cycle the action again. At least one person was killed like this. I fired my friends .500, no thanks. Don't need one. I actually gave him like 10 bucks for the cylinder full of ammo I fired because .500 is like $5 a round. So now I can say I've fired one. It's one of those guns that you're happy to cap off 6 through then hand back to the owner. A local indoor range offers one for rental and they instruct people to not lock their elbows out and keep a little "slack" so you don't injure yourself. They say people often rent it, and buy a box of ammo then try to return 49 rounds of the ammo because they don't want to shoot it anymore :D

If .454 won't kill it than I hope you brought a rifle. .454 makes good sense because you can use hot Ruger Only .454 loads in a SRH, or the Bisley SBH that was out for a little bit, but also use .45 LC obviously. .460 is just S&W's attempt to one up the .454 . .45 LC itself or .44 Mag can be loaded or purchased in "Bear Defense" loadings, there's no need for .500 or .460 unless you're one the few people who are actually hunting with one of those 16" S&W .460's

Huge, powerful revolvers marketed as "hunting /dangerous game defense" guns are seldom used as such and are mostly sold as range toys to people who think anyone else cares how powerful their gun is

Plus S&W already cornered the market, Ruger focuses on what they can sell to turn a profit. This is why they never tooled up to make a pump shotgun, other gun makers are already well established in that market.

Thel

Blackhawk
Stantheman hit the nail on the head. Ruger is in business to make money. The cost of engineering, tooling, line conversion for production and parts inventory is going to be as great or greater than other possible projects. Where are the possible sales coming from as S&W already hit the novelty market?

In some ways, Ruger might have been ahead of the curve with the .357 Maximum Blackhawk - I've always thought it was a shame they made so few of them. And they currently make big, heavy auto pistols, like the various "Chargers". I'm really not expecting anything, but I suppose they could combine the two concepts, and produce some kind of new "Charger" chambered for the 350 Legend; unlike .357 Max, you can find reasonably priced 350 ammo almost everywhere (and that might also be true for the 400 Legend when it comes out). Some kind of non-AR big-bore Charger might sell. Who knows?

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

contender

Ruger Guru
Stantheman has made some very valid points.

Ruger is in the business to make money. As such,, they will make what sells in a large quantity, AND at a reasonable price for the "average guy" to afford.

They are still behind in production due to the covid-19 issues that left them with a LOT of employees out because of it. Trying to engineer, tool up & produce a new design when their resources are needed elsewhere is not good business sense.
Look at the .30 Super. Where are the barn burning sales? Where is the ammo?
And yes,, ammo availability is a big part of market decision making.

Heck, they've invested a lot into re-doing the Marlin line & a LOT of people are still wanting more of those guns. That was a good business move.

I don't see them going after a niche market.

And to the low quantity of .357 Maximums,, blame a gun writer, and folks trying to use light bullets, fast burning powder, causing a bit of flame cutting in the topstrap. (Which, BTW, stopped after a certain point.) They pizzed off Bill & he decided to scrap the project.

Why not? Take those big .45/.410 revolvers as an example: I've never really been sure what they're designed for, but enough folks seem to be buying them that they've been produced by at least two major gun manufacturers. Ruger currently has Challenger/Charger-style handguns available in at least three different calibers/designs, and they seem to be selling - guessing folks use them for plinking, or maybe self defense? I've even seen .308 'AR10' type pistols advertised for sale, but can't picture ever using one myself.

As @Thel and @contender noted, gun companies are in business to make money. If somebody thinks they can make money on a big-bore-blaster of type a, b, or c, maybe it will get built, and folks will likely buy them for reasons that make sense to them. Might a bolt-action hunting pistol in 350 Legend or .450 Bushmaster sell? Who knows - but Ruger could certainly make one based on the Ruger American action, without a lot of retooling or design work.

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

Last edited:

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Thank you, no. If I need that kind of power I'll use a rifle, not a handgun. I prefer my wrists unbroken, thank you very much.

Anything I need to do, in my part of the country, can be handled quite well by a .357, .44 Special, or a .45 (Colt or ACP, take your pick). Or when all else fails a 12-gauge slug, fired from a shotgun with a proper stock.

What little desire I ever had to try out one of the .460 or .500 S&Ws - miniscule to start with - vanished when I watched the late R. Lee Ermey touch one of the .460s off on his TV show. First time I ever saw The Gunny® cringe. You could watch his forearms ripple like Plastic Man's in slo-mo as the gun recoiled.

dweis

Blackhawk
I think Ruger is on the right path. Its strategy is to innovate with popular calibers by making guns that offer advantages. The PC Charger and Carbine, LC P serit's, the Secuity series, the Max 9 and its dedicated optic. In invests in developing imprvements rather than investing in developing and making guns for a small segment of the market price. That makes good business sense to me.

... I watched the late R. Lee Ermey touch one of the .460s off on his TV show. First time I ever saw The Gunny® cringe. You could watch his forearms ripple like Plastic Man's in slo-mo as the gun recoiled.

I knew a guy who collected Smith & Wessons - he didn't generally mind recoil, and often carried & shot a scandium-framed .44 Mag. He told me he had fired his .460 (probably with results similar to what you describe), but when he subsequently got a .500, it stayed unfired in the box.

I always figured the .500 would be a great cartridge for a carbine, but like a lot of the specialty rounds, the cost & availability of ammo is a major problem. I guess that's one plus for cartridges that are popular in AR15s - you can get ammo at places like Walmart!

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.

contender

Ruger Guru
There are folks who do enjoy bigger calibers,, heavy recoiling, and capable of presenting more power than really necessary. But the market, is smaller than what a big company can invest in.
Custom gunsmiths, smaller companies can adapt easier,,, and make enough to satisfy the niche market.
As dweis has mentioned,, investing in improvements, advantages, or things that sell to the masses makes more sound business sense for a company that has stockholders to satisfy. Just this past weekend, at my USPSA match,, a guy showed up with a Ruger PCC. He had shot mine,, and liked it. He's been using a CZ PCC for a few years now. This was the first match he'd tried with it,, and said he'd only fired a few test rounds through it before the match. A new gun,,,(to him) and he was VERY happy. I heard him say; "I may well be selling my CZ now!" The fact that his Ruger PCC can use Glock magazines,, was a big selling point to him. Innovation, adaptation, and going after the masses to sell a lot is smart business.

I've shot a few 500's in a few different guns. I'm not recoil shy, and I'd do it again. But would I SPEND money on such a gun? No. I have a few .480 Rugers,, and if I need a big bore handgun, I'll stick with that one. I also have a .454 Casull and it's loads aren't to it's full power potential. (It's a FA,, and the price was very, very reasonable. And I'm a sucker for the .45 cal stuff.)
I think if Ruger were to offer any variation of a .500,, it would sell some,, but overall, it'd be a marketing disappointment.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
I own and shoot my big bores a whole lot. With full power loads. Why? Because I use them for exactly what they are intended for. Hunting large and dangerous animals that will turn the table and kill you.

That being said, I prescribe to John Linebaugh's philosophy about large caliber handguns and use his cartridges, namely the 475 and 500. Mostly the 500. These powerful guns should be carrying size. I have a Redhawk 500, a few Blackhawks in both cartridges as well as the 357max, and a couple BFR'S.

I do not like abuse. I don't do the commercial ranges, so have no desire to show off. All my guns have custom grips at a minimum, or entire custom grip frames shaped to my hand to help mitigate recoil of the heavy loads. It kicks, but in proper doses, is easily managed. The big bores are much more comfortable than the 454 to me and anyone else who shoots them, while providing much more reliable penetration and damage on game.

I own and shoot my big bores a whole lot. With full power loads. Why? Because I use them for exactly what they are intended for. Hunting large and dangerous animals that will turn the table and kill you.

That being said, I prescribe to John Linebaugh's philosophy about large caliber handguns and use his cartridges, namely the 475 and 500. Mostly the 500. These powerful guns should be carrying size. I have a Redhawk 500, a few Blackhawks in both cartridges as well as the 357max, and a couple BFR'S.

I do not like abuse. I don't do the commercial ranges, so have no desire to show off. All my guns have custom grips at a minimum, or entire custom grip frames shaped to my hand to help mitigate recoil of the heavy loads. It kicks, but in proper doses, is easily managed. The big bores are much more comfortable than the 454 to me and anyone else who shoots them, while providing much more reliable penetration and damage on game.
And some of us are still Recoil Junkies!!! Admittedly when it comes to scale a 44 magnum is to me what a 38 is to normal people. I touch off a few 5,000ft lb 12ga slugs and when I offer to share most everyone takes a pass. I guess they don't want to find out how attached to their Retina's they are.

What he said ^^^

Ruger makes guns for the masses and those ultra big bores are niche at most.
But it's like they've given up on Greatness. Presentation Grade #1's and Red Labels the Super Redhawk they pushed envelopes and achieved Greatness. They were at or near competing for the best of the best. Beautiful and functional firearms that competed with the best. Even if the pedestrian stuff is the bread and butter to just create a piece of firearm performance art for the sake of doing it to show that you are capable of more than mediocrity. Sure the Ruger American Competition is a step up from the standard American but it's not even really competitive with even mid grade Turkish Guns. Every few years you need a new Flagship to stay significant. I remember when the LCP was their "Flagship" basically a Kel Tec with quality control! It's still my go to micro pocket pistol my Max9 compares decently against the likes of the 365 and Hellcat but lacks the factory and aftermarket support. The 365 is a versatile Flagship package while the Max9 is a decent cruiser. Sure the Max9 with the new optic eats SCCY's lunch for less than some others which is a solid value. But is that all that's left?

My example of the Honda Rune. They lost $150,000 on every one they sold. But every last piece was it's own work of art that was also fully functional. They did it to show that in a World of Mediocrity Greatness is still possible!