Accuracy and grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
My biggest problem with my revolvers I believe is the roll back of the gun when firing. I keep trying my grip ,let it roll with a kinda relaxed grip or strong grip. My question is would finger groove grips help in accuracy? I ask because my problem is vertical stringing.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
If finger grooves help minimize flinching, help with a firm (not tight grip) or if they help make your trigger pull consistent, then maybe yes, but generally I don't think as much as the other good basics... trigger and breath control, stance, and sight usage. An isosceles stance doesn't help vertical stringing. Try a weaver stance and use the support arm angled under the pistol.

Finger grooves may also help some shooters with follow up shots. Remember recoil happens after the bullet leaves the muzzle there's lots of vids on youtube .

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
My biggest problem with my revolvers I believe is the roll back of the gun when firing. I keep trying my grip ,let it roll with a kinda relaxed grip or strong grip. My question is would finger groove grips help in accuracy? I ask because my problem is vertical stringing.
Probably. I've had Hogue grips on my .41mag NMBH for about 25 years. Helped me.

Similar to these. They're are pretty beefy, so may not fit your hand. But they are wood, so you can modify them fairly easily.

contender

Ruger Guru
A lot of accuracy is in a proper gripping method. (Along with proper trigger control and sight alignment, stance etc.)
A gun should fit the hands of the shooter.

But to "fight" recoil,, or in other words,, fight the physics of recoil, by trying to hold the gun too tight & prevent it from "rolling or rising" may be a bigger problem. If you try too hard to "control" recoil,, you aren't able to keep a consistent gripping method. That can cause accuracy issues.

The SA grip design shape is such that some roll & rise will happen naturally. Especially the plow handled types. Once you understand the physics of the recoil, and develop a consistent gripping method, the roll & rise will be mitigated to where the accuracy happens, and the gun still rises.

Too loose, and it rises more. Too tight & it'll stay down somewhat,, but not consistently. And shots can wander left & right too.

Maybe Bob Wright can re-post a few of his pictures of him shooting his SA handgun, and you can see the more natural roll & rise. His pictures are an excellent tutorial of how it should look.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Originally, I never was a Bisley-frame/grip fan, HOWEVER, after about 70 yrs, I decided to try one. I now have several because I found that my accuracy improved GREATLY....After all is said and done, trigger control and FOCUS on sights the key; the Bisleys just added to those primary factors (for me).
J.

Finger groves work well for me…
IMG_0711.jpeg

Latest posts