Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
20230503_124801.jpg

I'll just leave this here

Steel at 300 was not safe

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Somewhat above average for the 1960's. A lovely and solid gun that probably does fine with off the shelf ammo.
Ruger knows that other gunmakers cover the "revolving hand rifle " niche market

Ruger makes or made a 24" Super Redhawk for the European market that can't own handguns , and stocks are fashioned for them. I'd assume a 24" .454 would do the job. They won't offer them here

Even a 10" .454 could reach out and touch

Dan Lauck installs rails underneath revolver barrels also

Also the BFR exists

Ruger knows that other gunmakers cover the "revolving hand rifle " niche market

Ruger makes or made a 24" Super Redhawk for the European market that can't own handguns , and stocks are fashioned for them. I'd assume a 24" .454 would do the job. They won't offer them here

Even a 10" .454 could reach out and touch

Dan Lauck installs rails underneath revolver barrels also

Also the BFR exists
So considering what Smith and Taurus already making modern Flagships in 460, Ruger could step the Super Redhawk up to 45-70 modern rounds. Now that it seems that everyone and their brother are making sleeved barrel revolvers Ruger can just play Meeee Toooo. Now I'm going to get a few hundred of those lightweight Lehigh's and see if I can top 2,400fps which is S&W's claim for fastest revolver. Considering what I've already done it shouldn't be a problem!!! I hope I don't need too many barrels to get this dialed in!!!

contender

Ruger Guru
That .30 Carbine handgun shown above was made after 1973,, not the 60's. it's a New Model.

Looking at the pictures of the Taurus & S&W monstrosities above,, I can not see them selling very well to the mass market. As such,, neither will be a "flagship" status handgun. Yes,, they have all kinds of whiz-bang ideas built into them,, and may be part of the future. But the market just won't accept it.

I just had an epiphany!!! Resurrect the 444 Marlin!!! That's way it would be able to run the gamut of 44 loads as well. Partner it with a Marlin Lever action!!!

FYI & FWIW, something that I found interesting:

:)

Those "Monstrosities" make a statement. To people like me if I decide to get one it will necessitate a whole batch of new custom cut barrels. I've just found new inspiration for my old Dan Wesson 44. Pushing 125gr copper solids beyond 2,500fps accurately to 100yds in a shoulder holster able package! Mad Science.

Hankus

Blackhawk
If you haven't noticed my collection covers from flintlocks to the most modern. I will probably always enjoy the experience of firing flintlocks and cap and ball revolvers hurling lead balls.
But my everyday guns with actual purpose are hurling modern projectiles with extreme speed and precision. You want a "Reality Check" on your firearm choice and ability with it shoot dueling trees with someone and their super whiz bang laser gun. Dueling trees and action sports like IDPA etc are as close as you get to shooting for real. There are plenty of "Real Shooter" using 460 and 500S&W. The problem with lesser revolvers is that you are limited to the ammo the factory barrel likes anything else and you're out of luck.
What caliber and what load did you use for the derringer? I've been thinking about picking one up, and a few different barrel sets in differing calibers?

What caliber and what load did you use for the derringer? I've been thinking about picking one up, and a few different barrel sets in differing calibers?
It's a 357sig. I filled the case below compressed (I did weigh) with Universal and a 68gr Lehigh. Must be something about Universal and light bullets. 3N37 is usually my short barrel go to but evidently best with heavier bullets. I think the shorter auto rounds make the most of the available barrel. The regular short barrels still have an inch or so with 9mm. The 45/410 is the worst of both worlds. Either 1/2" of rifling after an inch or so rattling around or 1/2" of rifling 1/2"from the end of the shell to spin the shot uselessly. I think I called it with the 357sig. I might have to rechamber a 40S&W to 400Cor Bon.

Hankus

Blackhawk
When you say short barrel do you mean the 2-1/2" barrels? I completely agree about the .45/.410 usefulness, or lack thereof. I was thinking about starting off with a Stinger RS in either 9mm, .45 ACP or the .45 Colt-only barrel. I already have quite a few .45s in either caliber but only have two 9mm pistols and one carbine yet I have a lot of varying 9mm ammunition. You can buy a 3" barrel Stinger RS for ~ $270 locally.

When you say short barrel do you mean the 2-1/2" barrels? I completely agree about the .45/.410 usefulness, or lack thereof. I was thinking about starting off with a Stinger RS in either 9mm, .45 ACP or the .45 Colt-only barrel. I already have quite a few .45s in either caliber but only have two 9mm pistols and one carbine yet I have a lot of varying 9mm ammunition. You can buy a 3" barrel Stinger RS for ~ $270 locally.
Not sure but possibly. Pretty sure mine was around $300 in 9mm. I think the longer barrel was around $200. 45acp probably wouldn't be bad. The beauty of 9mm and 357sig is that there isn't much that I could cram into those cases that would hurt the gun.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Evidently Ruger is starting to offer shrouded barrels on new models!!! Yeah who wants that crap??? Not to mention how much it simplifies manufacturing!!!
I noticed that difference between the 5032 and 5050 Redhawk.45(L)C 😉 and .45ACP models. I would much prefer the "solid" barrel 5032!

I noticed that difference between the 5032 and 5050 Redhawk.45(L)C 😉 and .45ACP models. I would much prefer the "solid" barrel 5032!
If you understood how it works you wouldn't have anything else. Tensioning the barrel keeps it straight and eliminates harmonics along with temperature variables. Ever notice how most guns vertically string the first few shots when cold?

mikeyr

Bearcat
I just bought a 9mm CZ last week...but my primary home defense weapon is a HK 45 AND a 2nd gen Colt SAA also in 45. I disagree revolvers have gone out of fashion, they sell less of them but I go to the range and everyone wants to see my Colt or Ruger Old Army. Revolvers are more expensive and people look at ammo cost, instead of looking to get a new hobby and reload. I shoot far more 45Colt than anything else, 45ACP is next. Barely shoot .357 or .38sp anymore and even less 9mm

I am the exception I know, but given a choice I always go for revolver, I only went for the HK because of ease of reloading. Ruger has kept the revolver alive and we should all be thankful for that.

I still keep a few revolvers laying around. I just picked up a 4" RIA so I can have something normal to let new shooters try. That and my custom shop Taurus 85, Dan Wesson, 1858 Remington, Heritage Arms and Ethan Allen Pepperbox.

Last edited:

Rclark

Hunter
I am the exception I know,
I am probably more so than you are :) ... I just can't bare to pick up (as in buy) anything 9mm or any slab sided semi-auto. More than satisfied with the o' Single Action. Even DAs take a back seat of which I do own a couple. The .44 Special Bulldog is my town CC revolver when I carry for example and house gun. But anything else.... Strap on a gunbelt and slap/slip a .4X SA in the holster. Good to go.

Latest posts