Ruger Flagship Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Ruger Super Redhawk was the schizz 40 years ago. Simply stretching the frame would allow it to accommodate 460/500S&W. Alternately if S&W calibers are an issue 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster and 50 Beowolf would be adequate. Now for the innovation. Interchangeable barrels tubes like Dan Wesson and interchangeable cylinders. Multi caliber capability!!! Literally a few tweaks to the CNC program would be all that's needed. A truly go anywhere do anything hand cannon!!! I know why would they do that when they could sell you 5-6 guns.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
There is 0 market for any of this , the hand cannons that shoot $4 a round ammo do not sell well. 75% of shooters do not handload. People don't want to mess with interchanging stuff

Ruger would do better to just make a 4" stainless target sight GP100 in 9mm as a full size mate to the 9mm SP101. Davidsons appears to be selling every 9mm SP they get in . Most new buyers of revolvers, buy them as recreational shooters and "range toys" , and people who need big boomers usually get a .44 Magnum

People want to go punch paper, and the trend is to make everything in 9mm . Ammo availability drives the market

There is 0 market for any of this , the hand cannons that shoot $4 a round ammo do not sell well. 75% of shooters do not handload. People don't want to mess with interchanging stuff

Ruger would do better to just make a 4" stainless target sight GP100 in 9mm as a full size mate to the 9mm SP101. Davidsons appears to be selling every 9mm SP they get in . Most new buyers of revolvers, buy them as recreational shooters and "range toys" , and people who need big boomers usually get a .44 Magnum

People want to go punch paper, and the trend is to make everything in 9mm . Ammo availability drives the market
Google Honda Rune. Honda lost over $100,000 on every one at full retail price. A company without a soul merely exists. Dan Wesson obviously wasn't conquering the market in the 70's and 80's but the mad Science they enabled is still epic!!! Bill Ruger ran the company with Soul.
The entire point of a flagship is to show what you are capable of. To look at the world and say Top This. I can say that no major manufacturer has come close to the Rune. Mid 6 figure custom builders might match the artistic level of the Rune but nowhere near the actual function.

Attachments

• IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Vaquero and Bisley Vaqueros, Birdsheads and 3.75" single actions sold very well for Ruger
And what can they do that a Colt wasn't doing 150 years ago? Kinda like Harleys. They look good on a trailer. A Flagship is about pushing the envelope further than anyone else has ever dared to. To go where no one has before. To walk up to the established bar and say I wouldn't know what to do with something that small. That's probably why I'll never run some giant company but give this lone numbnuts a lathe and a mill and there's no telling what can happen!!! Ruger could have 1 machinist spend a week building what I described and then go out and shoot an 8" group at 1,000yds. Just because you can!!! A 40 year old Dan Wesson Can!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_170457875.jpg
    IMG_20221228_170457875.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20221228_170434694.jpg
    IMG_20221228_170434694.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230524_122027287.jpg
    IMG_20230524_122027287.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20180313_210141153.jpg
    IMG_20180313_210141153.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0246.jpg
    IMAG0246.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20140220_162733_951.jpg
    IMG_20140220_162733_951.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Rclark

Hunter
Kinda like Harleys.
Yeah, aint it great! ;)

Those have got to be the most ugly guns I've ever seen :D . Truthfully! :p ... Now my .45 Colt Vaquero .... ooooohhhh so retro, so good, so shootable :D, so fun, and ... so yeah ... and soooo practical! Everyone needs one. What was good 150 years ago is just as good today. None of the animals (humans as well) have armored up to compensate for a smacking with a 250gr bullet ... or paper, steel targets! I seem to remember a story about a man who made an amazing shot at Adobe Wells with an 'old' rifle. See no reason for a 'new' rifle or revolver :) . Of course that is just this man's opinion!

That said, when it comes to innovation, let that be on the law enforcement/military side where they really need it ... where function over form reigns supreme...

Last edited:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Google Honda Rune. Honda lost over $100,000 on every one at full retail price.
Yeah, but that is kinda the problem isn't it. They lost a gazillion dollars on each one and nobody even remembers it without google. Bet the shareholders love that. Wonder how Rugers current direction of lean assembly would balance with a Rune type project.
As long as we are on motorcycles, back in the 70's I had a Suzuki RE5. Now that little piece of benchmark innovation dang near broke Suzuki's back . Instead of huge sales they almost went broke.
But,,,,,,,,,, they were saved by returning to making traditional motorcycles.

And Ruger could do it with a few hours of tweaking a few CNC files.

Might take a little more time & thought than that, just to address liability concerns. Wouldn't want a system where some rube could install a .454 cylinder behind a .327 barrel. IIRC, Dan Wesson addressed that by having a different frame with a different barrel thread pitch for each caliber (which allowed for changing barrel length, but not caliber).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Might take a little more time & thought than that, just to address liability concerns. Wouldn't want a system where some rube could install a .454 cylinder behind a .327 barrel. IIRC, Dan Wesson addressed that by having a different frame with a different barrel thread pitch for each caliber (which allowed for changing barrel length, but not caliber).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)
That could be addressed at the front of the Crane to frame to barrel interface. I'm picturing a 12" barrel with an authoritative brake, full length rails top and bottom. Integrated irons like the S&W 22A, bipod hurling 50Beowolf. That would be a Statement that Ruger is still significant. I'll see your 500 and raise you a Beowolf. Sure it will never be the sales leader but continuing R&D to be the next thing or come up with better processes is what has kept humanity advancing since the first semi ape tied a rock to the end of a stick.

Last edited:
Yeah, aint it great! ;)

Those have got to be the most ugly guns I've ever seen :D . Truthfully! :p ... Now my .45 Colt Vaquero .... ooooohhhh so retro, so good, so shootable :D, so fun, and ... so yeah ... and soooo practical! Everyone needs one. What was good 150 years ago is just as good today. None of the animals (humans as well) have armored up to compensate for a smacking with a 250gr bullet ... or paper, steel targets! I seem to remember a story about a man who made an amazing shot at Adobe Wells with an 'old' rifle. See no reason for a 'new' rifle or revolver :) . Of course that is just this man's opinion!

That said, when it comes to innovation, let that be on the law enforcement/military side where they really need it ... where function over form reigns supreme...
I'm about versatility. My Deer Rifle can also do suppressive fire!!! My Home Defense pistol in its shoulder rig with 3 27rnd reloads would be John Wick worthy. My Shotgun can hurl anything from bird shot to 5,000ft lb slugs. I use adjustable stocks on any gun they are available for so I can fit them to any number of people or adjust them for my wardrobe. Summer T shirts and winter several inches of layers.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_200348573.jpg
    IMG_20220121_200348573.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 22a scopeed.jpg
    22a scopeed.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Dan Wesson.jpg
    Dan Wesson.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230513_124545838.jpg
    IMG_20230513_124545838.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 22a Dotted.jpg
    22a Dotted.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20140220_193743_659.jpg
    IMG_20140220_193743_659.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Ruger already has a flagship revolver and it's called the Blackhawk.
It was a Flagship 60 years ago. Resting on 60 year old Laurels isn't very comfortable because they've long since decomposed. My idea would be as simple as bringing the Super Redhawk into the 21st Century with a few CNC code tweaks. Are you Amish or something because you are still playing in the 19th Century. Blackhawk 19th Century Cool, Redhawk/Super 20th Century Cool. We're 1/4 of the way through another whole Century!!! Even just bump to 45-70 to chamber up from the 460 on down.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
"Vaquero and Bisley Vaqueros, Birdsheads and 3.75" single actions sold very well for Ruger"
"And what can they do that a Colt wasn't doing 150 years ago?"

A Ruger SA handgun can handle heavier loads than the Colts of 150 years ago. So, they can do more, at longer ranges.

That comment aside,, I see your thought process. The DW concept was a top idea, in a way, ahead of it's time. Ruger has had a few ideas that were ahead of their time as well. (Example; The 50's era Lightweight .22's,, and now,, the Wrangler!)

Different era, and different feelings by the market & BUYERS!!!!!!

The idea of an interchangeable barrel system,, such as the DW is very valid in terms of performance & consumer expense. Throwing in a potential cylinder interchangeability would probably not happen unless there was a way to prevent IDIOTS from doing as mentioned above, Putting the wrong cylinder not mated to the proper barrel.

But DW handguns proved their performance among REAL shooters,, who understood how to make them work as intended. But the average Joe just looked at the system as a novelty. Often, just one barrel was selected,, and installed, and left that way by the average Joe.

But you have to understand the business concept. A company like Ruger is in the business to make money. And they have bean counters who look at all sorts of stuff to determine if any of the products would be VERY profitable.
So, the criteria is sorts like;
Can we make them with a low enough price point to allow sales to give a good return?
Can we make them in a fashion to where we sell 30,000 a year? (And yes,, 30,000 a year is a figure given to me by a senior Ruger executive long ago concerning annual sales of ONE model. Now,, they may look for a higher number of annual sales,, such as 40,000-50,000.)
Can we build it without spending a lot of time, & money in development for a quicker return on that investment?
Can we build them fast enough to give us a fast turnaround?
What is the current MARKET asking for?

These are but a few things any successful company looks at when it comes to staying successful.

When Bill Ruger was alive & running things,, it was different. it was HIS company. Yes,, he had stockholders, but he was THE boss. There were a lot of projects that were started, that either failed, or were stopped, or whatever. The Hawkeye handgun, the .357 Maximum, (Bill got pissed & scrapped 5000 Maxi's,) are but a few examples. He could get away with it,, because HE was THE major stockholder, and HE made the rules.
No so anymore.
Now,, we have a company, without a founding figurehead like Bill to be in charge, and who could make a decision, right or wrong, and not be over-ridden by others.

It may seem like I'm bashing the current leadership at Ruger. I AM NOT!!!!!!! There was a period of time, after Bill passed away, that the Sturm, Ruger & Company stock was very, very cheap. Lots of things caused the company to flounder trying to fill the void & leadership. No one single person or whatever was to blame. I can remember buying stock for around $5 a share during that timeframe. It took some serious study, some serious reflections on how the company was doing business, and it also took some serious changes in the business model approach to turn it around. The BOD had to make a lot of changes & redirection to make it a strong & very successful company again. They have been very successful in this. It took a lot of work, sacrifice, and changes to make it all happen. I applaud ALL the management folks who did this. But it didn't happen overnight, and yet,, they have succeeded.
But we all have to remember,, they are in business to make MONEY!!! The product is the route to that end. A product has to be profitable,, or it will not be put forth, or if produced,, and doesn't perform,, will be removed.

I for one have been very happy that they did survive & return to the top of the firearm manufacturing heap. Remember,, they COULD have died like other companies,, (Dan Wesson, High Standard, etc.) Or they could have been broken up & sold to other companies,, (Thompson Center, Remington etc.) Or they could have suffered financial struggles like Colt, & others, only to have been bought out by a FOREIGN company.

Nope,, I'm happy Ruger has succeeded as they have. They may not make everything everybody wants,, or they may not do all we wish they'd do,, but remember,, they COULD have gone away,, and we'd not have ANY new Rugers or such.

NikA

Buckeye
@Hvymax, you're a capable individual in this respect. Go build what you propose, get all the kinks figured out, and you might have a custom project that people will be beating down your door to duplicate. Then you can convince Ruger or one of their distributors to put it into production for the masses.

Companies don't have souls any more.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
"Vaquero and Bisley Vaqueros, Birdsheads and 3.75" single actions sold very well for Ruger"
"And what can they do that a Colt wasn't doing 150 years ago?"
,, it was different. it was HIS company. Yes,, he had stockholders, but he was THE boss.
The heyday of the revolver is over, they are recreational and sporting guns now

It was about 1987, I was 7 years old and my Dad took me to Kislins sporting goods in NJ when he was looking for a home defense gun . Glocks existed but were rare then and wonder nines were a new concept

He bought a S&W 586 6" and a 66 3" which he still has , but not because they were "cool" or retro, they were the guns that people were using at that time. Dan Wessons were popular as target and match revolvers. PPC. Pin Matches, 25 yard bullseye were popular "gun games". Police Officers came to my school in the early 90s to talk about drugs and I noticed the wood grips on their revolvers , just like on shows like CHiPs and everything else .

The wheelgun was the gun, everything else was a novelty.

.38 snubs kind of enjoyed a resurgence in recent years and people still gobble up $250 Taurus 85s but plastic autos are the market now and everyone wants 9mm. 1911s will always be cool guy guns.

The market changes , gunmakers adapt. My younger coworker gun buddies wonder why I bother with stuff like GP100s or single actions. As if I'm shooting a cap and ball revolver or something. They're all proud of their new Kimber Carry .380s or worked over Glocks, ARs etc , show them a S&W Highway Patrolman and it's an antique to them. They are "old man Fudd guns" to the younger market and they are the ones dropping half a paycheck on a 9mm pistol

Plus most of them can't hit anything with a revolver and dont care to learn. A big hand cannon revolver will have little appeal to the market because they will just buy an AR in .450 Bushmaster or whatever it is for the same $$

Tactical is the buzz word now and John Wick movies make gun buyers want something that holds a zillion rounds and they can blast 12" groups at 10 yards with because few of these people actually train with any intent . They just want to blow $100 worth of 9mm downrange with Five Finger Death Punch blasting in their noise cancelling ear buds, taking a break to take Facebook pics or drink a Monster, then go grab micro brews afterwards

At 43 I feel like the Range Fudd shooting my Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 or a GP100, or even a metal S&W pistol.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
"And what can they do that a Colt wasn't doing 150 years ago? "

Are you saying the Blackhawk wasn't a big improvement on the Colt SAAs? Better springs, magnum loads (44 mag, 41 mag, 45 Colt Ruger loads)?

Remember, Colt's were dying out due to cost and replacing tooling. Bill Ruger brought them within the reach of "everyman".

Latest posts