Ruger Flagship Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
It's not always about profit. (or least shouldn't be) Look at the automotive business. They don't make money on raceday, but the technology works it's way into production. It also performs as advertising. There are many hard to quantify benefits. (yes some beancounters claim they can quantify it, but I've seen that play out poorly for them more than once)

"And what can they do that a Colt wasn't doing 150 years ago? "

Are you saying the Blackhawk wasn't a big improvement on the Colt SAAs? Better springs, magnum loads (44 mag, 41 mag, 45 Colt Ruger loads)?

Remember, Colt's were dying out due to cost and replacing tooling. Bill Ruger brought them within the reach of "everyman".
Yeah it would have been the coolest thing around in the 1890's. Bill Ruger really did fill a gap in the market at the time. There were still people wanting to play dress up Cowboy. A few of them are even still alive!!!

contender

Ruger Guru
While many of the average Joe gun buyers do choose a semi-auto over a revolver is often because they are not real shooters, AND they fall prey to the movies & marketing hype. Stan is right in that many average Joe's, want the high capacity, "cool factor" types of guns made popular in the movies or being used by LEO's.

But serious shooters,, yes, we do make up the minority of gun buyers. I'd say that about 15%-20% of gun buyers are actual serious gun people. We are the smaller market.

While many of the average Joe gun buyers do choose a semi-auto over a revolver is often because they are not real shooters, AND they fall prey to the movies & marketing hype. Stan is right in that many average Joe's, want the high capacity, "cool factor" types of guns made popular in the movies or being used by LEO's.

But serious shooters,, yes, we do make up the minority of gun buyers. I'd say that about 15%-20% of gun buyers are actual serious gun people. We are the smaller market.
I must be a 1%er

larry8

Single-Sixer
I remember reading that when old man Ruger was making the Old Army gun his kids told him it costs more to make it than they could sell it for. He loved that gun (and if you have one you would too). He told the kids that as long as he is alive Ruger will continue to make that gun. The day Bill died his son told the shop to stop making that gun.

I remember reading that when old man Ruger was making the Old Army gun his kids told him it costs more to make it than they could sell it for. He loved that gun (and if you have one you would too). He told the kids that as long as he is alive Ruger will continue to make that gun. The day Bill died his son told the shop to stop making that gun.
He was the SOUL of the Company. I guess it died with him. You can't hit a home run without a few strikeouts. Sure a team can get by with consistent Base Hitters but who wants to watch that???

BearBiologist

Hunter
Yeah it would have been the coolest thing around in the 1890's. Bill Ruger really did fill a gap in the market at the time. There were still people wanting to play dress up Cowboy. A few of them are even still alive!!!
What about Bill's 22 auto? Still around and still popular!

BTW: Blackhawks, SBH, and Vaqueros are still quite popular and not nearly as UGLY as Rugers DA revolvers (except the 4" GP-100)

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I also heard that Ruger made very little profit from the entire run of the Six series.....which seems hard to believe given it was made from what, 1971 to 1986

He was dedicated to taking part of the Service revolver market and providing LE with durable, lower priced guns

What about Bill's 22 auto? Still around and still popular!

BTW: Blackhawks, SBH, and Vaqueros are still quite popular and not nearly as UGLY as Rugers DA revolvers (except the 4" GP-100)
I've mentioned several times that the MK & 10-22 are the 1911's of their category. The best of the 20th century. We're almost 1/4 of the way through the 21st. What gun at the turn of the next century will people see as just as significant now as it was originally??? I guess all the 80 year olds can't think that far out. I'm sure that if someone was still making Model T's some people would buy them.

But DW handguns proved their performance among REAL shooters,, who understood how to make them work as intended. But the average Joe just looked at the system as a novelty. Often, just one barrel was selected,, and installed, and left that way by the average Joe.
There were some good reasons for that. I had a .357 Supermag back in the silhouette days. it shot well after working through the quality control problems. But I found the interchangeable barrel concept impractical. It was necessary to check zero any time the barrel was removed and reinstalled. Just a little difference in torque on the barrel nut would change things. Checking zero was definitively necessary if a different length barrel was installed. Of course I realize this wouldn't matter much to those that think a 10 yard pistol shot is a long one. But it was less than satisfactory to anyone else more ambitious. So once the the barrel was installed, it was better to leave it alone.

There were some good reasons for that. I had a .357 Supermag back in the silhouette days. it shot well after working through the quality control problems. But I found the interchangeable barrel concept impractical. It was necessary to check zero any time the barrel was removed and reinstalled. Just a little difference in torque on the barrel nut would change things. Checking zero was definitively necessary if a different length barrel was installed. Of course I realize this wouldn't matter much to those that think a 10 yard pistol shot is a long one. But it was less than satisfactory to anyone else more ambitious. So once the the barrel was installed, it was better to leave it alone.
I could choose a class when I arrived for a match. I never needed more than 2-3 sighters to dial things in.
Dan Wesson.jpg

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I've mentioned several times that the MK & 10-22 are the 1911's of their category. The best of the 20th century. We're almost 1/4 of the way through the 21st. What gun at the turn of the next century will people see as just as significant now as it was originally??? I guess all the 80 year olds can't think that far out. I'm sure that if someone was still making Model T's some people would buy them.
The irony that the TactiFools worship their blinged up Glocks with red dots and race gun 1911s, both of which use rounds that pre date WWI

Our military uses the M4 carbine which is a design from the 1950s , I qualified with an M16 in 2007 in Basic, my Dad qualified with an M16 in 1970 in Basic

"New" rounds like .327 Fed Magnum died on the vine, the FBI wanted 10mm , which evolved into .40, which also fell out of favor. .41 Magnum is a niche round , it once was supposed to be the "Law Enforcement "it" round " .

People want 9mms, .45 ACP, .357 Magnums and .44 Magnum is the "Dirty Harry gun" . The market stays with the bread and butter, guns just evolve around the same rounds.

S&W .460s and .500s were the "big 🍆" guns of the 2000s but no one wants that stuff now.

Don't give Ruger any ideas...... The Last thing we need is a more modern Super Blackhawk or Vaquero with a picatinny rail or laser sights ( bad enough we have that crap on 1911's )
Let me tell you I'm not interested in any gun that won't accommodate all those things anymore. I need all the help I can get anymore. My whole point for this thread is to create the gun they will be talking about in 2100. Rails are where it's at. Full length rails are where it's at scopes, dots integrated irons.

The irony that the TactiFools worship their blinged up Glocks with red dots and race gun 1911s, both of which use rounds that pre date WWI

Our military uses the M4 carbine which is a design from the 1950s , I qualified with an M16 in 2007 in Basic, my Dad qualified with an M16 in 1970 in Basic

"New" rounds like .327 Fed Magnum died on the vine, the FBI wanted 10mm , which evolved into .40, which also fell out of favor. .41 Magnum is a niche round , it once was supposed to be the "Law Enforcement "it" round " .

People want 9mms, .45 ACP, .357 Magnums and .44 Magnum is the "Dirty Harry gun" . The market stays with the bread and butter, guns just evolve around the same rounds.

S&W .460s and .500s were the "big 🍆" guns of the 2000s but no one wants that stuff no
If nobody ever pushed any envelopes the World would still be Flat. The world is full of Nothings. Anyone can do normal. George Kelgren is probably the greatest firearm genius since John Moses Browning but manufacturing isn't his strong suit. I'm sure Model T's were great cars for their day. My question with this thread is what gun could we build today that they will still be talking about in 2100???

Rclark

Hunter
What gun could we build today that they will still be talking about in 2100
That's easy ... more Ruger Blackhawks :) . Never go out of style. Practical and useful. Just like the SAA is still with us from 150 years ago and is still much talked about and 'used'. Same with 150 years from now (unless the anti-gunners finally get all guns outlawed in a Orwell '1984'ish world).

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
If nobody ever pushed any envelopes the World would still be Flat. The world is full of Nothings. Anyone can do normal. George Kelgren is probably the greatest firearm genius since John Moses Browning but manufacturing isn't his strong suit. I'm sure Model T's were great cars for their day. My question with this thread is what gun could we build today that they will still be talking about in 2100???
In 2100 the military will be using drones that shoot lasers , there will be weapons that can kill with an energy pulse and weapons like M16s will be viewed like we view Flintlock Muskets today .

And people will still want to shoot .45 Colt 1873s and 1911s just like people think Colt Walkers are "cool"

In an era of jet fighters, air shows with Corsairs and Fokker DrI repros still draw 30,000 people

Antiquity is always interesting. When I go to the range with new shooters they are fascinated by my "80s cop guns " but they'll still go buy a Glock 19

Latest posts